Hosting services (ImageShack, etc.)

subjects that are really off-topic

Postby Daniel73 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:12 pm

A topic about hosting services.

To begin, a question about ImageShack: How does it work?

I have registered myself and received a conformation email, but I never know whether I stay inside or outside my maintenance there.
For example, I don't get a resize option on my account page (where my images are listed). And when I do get a resize option, after following a link, it's on a page where I don't know if I'm still using my account or just using an open guests-page for anyone.

Point is: If I don't know what and where and how my account is, and don't have any profile with password, then how can I avoid others misusing my registration? And how can I avoid misusing ImageShack by sending images I can't control?

I would like to use a free hosting like ImageShack for some pictures on McDrake, as ImageShack promises to keep pictures online forever. But I don't understand the service at all. Despite its nice features.
Daniel73

Postby Henrieke » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:10 pm

I also registered a while ago, and it seems that when you do that you can upload more at the same time, but I never use that system. So you don't have to register since you can use imageshack anyway.

I use imageshack to upload all my pictures, from avatars to large files. I used it for the first time about a year and a half ago, and those pictures are still online, so I'm pretty sure they'll stay.
When I upload an image I always make sure that it's already resized, and in some cases, watermarked.
At the front page of imageshack you can fill out a lot of different things, but the only thing you have to use is the name of the file. Just write down the filename and click 'host it', you don't have to log in or something.

When you upload a file, you'll see a page with a thumbnail of your file, and a few links. You should only use the last link, the direct link. If you know a little bit of html or bb coding, that's all you'll need. The other links, like 'show to friends', directs you to a page where the image is shown, but you'll get popups and such when you click that link. (Imageshack prefers it if you use the page with the ads, ofcourse)
I normally never use the thumbnail function of imageshack, because clicking a thumbnail also brings you to the page with ads. But if you have large images and want to show a thumbnail anyway, you could also change the link a bit.
In case you're using this forum (or a similar forum), you have to pick the second link on the page (thumbnails for forums 1). Simply delete the link between in the first URL= tag, and replace it with the direct link. This is the result:

You can change all links in this way, ofcourse, and resizing for websites is easy if you use html coding.
After you've uploaded the pic and closed the screen, there's no way to get back to the page with links. (if you're not logged in) But there's a simple way to save pics for later: Just open a notepad (kladblok) or other text file and paste the links in there. I added a tiny description to all my links to tell them apart, so now I have a few hundred images hosted online, which I can use whenever I want, using just 3kb of harddisk space.

Imageshack also works fine if you want to host animated gifs. ;)
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5720/sambaox7.gif
Henrieke

Postby Robb_K » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:37 pm

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of The Internet and computers in general. But I'd like to know if the "watermarks" referred to above, consist of a sign placed in the bottom corner of the image file, that indicates that it cannot be copied by making a screenshot or trying to download the image file.

I currently use Photobucket, but haven't noticed any feature to protect against my graphics files being copied off forum posts. How does Imageshack protect against file stealing?
Robb_K

Postby Henrieke » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:18 pm

Robb_K wrote:How does Imageshack protect against file stealing?

Not at all. That's why I often add watermarks to my own photography, because otherwise other people will steal steal them. Anything you put on the internet isn't safe actually, because even websites that protect the images (with disabling right-clicking and such) are easy to 'crack'.
And yes, that's what I mean with watermarks. You can add them with any image/photo program, even MS Paint would do.
Henrieke

Postby Robb_K » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Henrieke wrote:
Robb_K wrote:How does Imageshack protect against file stealing?

Not at all. That's why I often add watermarks to my own photography, because otherwise other people will steal steal them. Anything you put on the internet isn't safe actually, because even websites that protect the images (with disabling right-clicking and such) are easy to 'crack'.
And yes, that's what I mean with watermarks. You can add them with any image/photo program, even MS Paint would do.

Dank je wel! I use Adobe Photoshop for processing my drawings and saving them. Where in OPhotoshop can I find the watermark function?
Robb_K

Postby ScrudeMcDude » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:21 pm

This may be due to my own computer-related ignorance, but I just recently registered and when I tried to post a picture I can't find an option to upload.
Ah, spring! Sweet days of love! Sweet days when men should take the time a money hill to climb, and there renew their love affair with their first dime!
ScrudeMcDude

Postby Robb_K » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:55 am

I think I remember seeing your question being answered by Henrieke on the Main Dutch Forum. I can't remember which thread. You need an Internet "host" for your images (such as Imageshack or photobucket, etc.). You need to upload the images there, and then copy them to your pasteboard or other "holding memory", and copy their address onto any thread you wish to upload the image to. The name of the file will also be included along with its address at the host site, and will be preceded and followed by instructions to upload, in the form of: "[IMG] address/file name[IMG/]". That line of characters will appear in your thread, wherever you want it (copy it). Then, when the thread is brought up, your image will magically appear.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:56 am

ScrudeMcDude: Don't you have your avatar uploaded onto an "image host website"?
Robb_K

Return to Off-Topic International