gallows

subjects that are really off-topic

Postby Supergoof » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:10 am

I know the game, and it's great and all, but what I don't understand is why some of you guys continue to speak dutch here in the english forum?

--all your base are belong to us!-- :)
Supergoof

Postby Prank » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:09 pm

I want a " Ö ".
Remember this is an international forum. So Germans,Americans, Scandinavian, Chinese or whatever are very welcome to participate. (The majority of the written language will have to be in english, otherwise it will get a bit confusing, but please let anybody help eachother if their english is far from perfect)
Prank

Postby Barko » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:47 pm

Here- this will suffice for that sound: Ø
Barko

Postby Robb_K » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:12 pm

What is the point of asking for a letter when there is no game being played currently?
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:15 am

Supergoof wrote:I know the game, and it's great and all, but what I don't understand is why some of you guys continue to speak dutch here in the english forum?

Apparantly, one of our members knows so little English, he can't understand the English-written rule that one must write only English on this forum. He has come to this forum to learn English. Rather circular logic, eh? But some of us have accommodated his wishes and translated for him. But, I think that has driven away most of our international members and guests (would-be future members). So, perhaps we should stop humouring him.

[edited: quote corrected]
Last edited by Robb_K on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robb_K

Postby jaen Stone » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:34 am

you are!!!!!!!!
ik hoor eigelijk John Brick te heten.
jaen Stone

Postby Robb_K » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:06 pm

True. However, if we are "scaring" our international members here (who don't understand Nederlands) away, perhaps it would be better for you to stop writing in Nederlands here, and trying to learn English using other methods. I think it would be better for all of us to only write in English here, so our Scandinavian and US members will stay here and participate. You should watch many English language films with Nederlands subtitles, get English Language learning books (grammar and vocabulary learning). There is a book explaining English language idiomatic phrases (unfortunately, the explanations are also in English). A good Nederlands/English dictionary will help. I assume that you have one of those. Read English language printings of comic books with stories you already have in Nederlands issues. Please learn more English first, before you come back.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Robb_K wrote:True. However, if we are "scaring" our international members here (who don't understand Nederlands) away, perhaps it would be better for you to stop writing in Nederlands here, and trying to learn English using other methods.

Protest. I like Jaen Stone's presence here. I want him to stay. Of course he could do more effort with the help of a dictionary, and we should keep emphasis on that, but so far I think he's doing fine, adding some life to the forum.

Robb_K wrote:Please learn more English first, before you come back.

People are welcome here on McDuck. Everyone. That's the default. If people want to leave because of other people's (innocent) presence, they should leave. Simple.

McDuck International is still small because we've only just begun, some months ago. I could do effort to make the forum grow fast, but I'd rather see it grow by itself, in it's own speed. Most important is that the forum exists and that it stays.
Egg

Postby Supergoof » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:45 pm

Robb_K wrote:There is a book explaining English language idiomatic phrases (unfortunately, the explanations are also in English).

-circular logics, huh? :)

Egg wrote:so far I think he's doing fine, adding some life to the forum.

But then again, you understand his writings in nederlands. I do not, however, making the reading of certain posts a rather difficult experience.
I doubt if it is driving anybody away from the forum, though.
Supergoof

Previous

Return to Off-Topic International