Postby Daniel73 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:41 pm

A topic for discussing discussions.
Daniel73

Postby Argument Clinic » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:02 am

Argument Clinic - Monty Python
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppK6sxz6epk
Argument Clinic

Postby Rockerduck » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:38 am

:lol: I thought I died laughing! I just *love* Monthy Python. This is great absurd humour. Take only the beginning, for instance: "I'd like to have an argument". :lol:
Rockerduck

Postby Daniel73 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:04 am

I'm curious what you think of this:
John's Cleese's speech at Graham Chapman's memorial service:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsHk9WC7fnQ

Graham played King Arthur and Brian. This speech was shortly after he died.
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:20 am

What is sorely missing in that video excerpt is the conclusion of the speech, which I've included here:

- - - - - - -

John Cleese did present the following opening speech at the Chapman tribute, two months after Graham's death:

"Graham Chapman, co-author of the 'Parrot Sketch,' is no more.

He has ceased to be, bereft of life, he rests in peace, he has kicked the bucket, hopped the twig, bit the dust, snuffed it, breathed his last, and gone to meet the Great Head of Light Entertainment in the sky, and I guess that we're all thinking how sad it is that a man of such talent, such capability and kindness, of such intelligence should now be so suddenly spirited away at the age of only forty-eight, before he'd achieved many of the things of which he was capable, and before he'd had enough fun.

Well, I feel that I should say, "Nonsense. Good riddance to him, the freeloading bastard! I hope he fries. "

And the reason I think I should say this is, he would never forgive me if I didn't, if I threw away this opportunity to shock you all on his behalf. Anything for him but mindless good taste. I could hear him whispering in my ear last night as I was writing this:

"Alright, Cleese, you're very proud of being the first person to ever say 'shit' on television. If this service is really for me, just for starters, I want you to be the first person ever at a British memorial service to say 'fuck'!"

You see, the trouble is, I can't. If he were here with me now I would probably have the courage, because he always emboldened me. But the truth is, I lack his balls, his splendid defiance. And so I'll have to content myself instead with saying 'Betty Mardsen...'

[...]

I remember Graham receiving a Sun newspaper TV award from Reggie Maudling. Who else! And taking the trophy falling to the ground and crawling all the way back to his table, screaming loudly, as loudly as he could. And if you remember Gray, that was very loud indeed.

It is magnificent, isn't it? You see, the thing about shock... is not that it upsets some people, I think; I think that it gives others a momentary joy of liberation, as we realised in that instant that the social rules that constrict our lives so terribly are not actually very important.

Well, Gray can't do that for us anymore. He's gone. He is an ex-Chapman. All we have of him now is our memories. But it will be some time before they fade."

- - - - - - -

Full text: http://www.montypythonpages.com/TRIBUTE.HTM
Daniel73

Postby Rockerduck » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:33 am

YouTube is -again!- awfully slow at the moment, so I'll watch it later. I am familiar with what he said at the funeral, however. I think it's one of the best speeches I've ever heard. It certainly is the funniest.
Rockerduck

Return to Off-Topic International