Fanfiction

creations by fans

Postby Egg » Thu May 11, 2006 10:41 pm

This story is a zany fan-classic. Maybe you know it already.

- - - - - - -

"What if ... a stone could think?"
Story & Art: Kristian Thougaard Pedersen

http://marcobar.cce.unifi.it/Comics/Rare/Unpublished/Stones1.html
http://marcobar.cce.unifi.it/Comics/Rare/Unpublished/Stones2.html
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Thu May 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Unfortunately I can't read Italian (it *is* Italian, isn't it?).
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Fri May 12, 2006 2:14 am

Rockerduck wrote:Unfortunately I can't read Italian (it *is* Italian, isn't it?).

There's an English tranlation at the left side of the story. Easy to follow.
I guess it's a Italian translation. Maybe from an Italian fanzine? I don't think the writer and artists are Italians. I think they're from Denmark or Scandinavia.

I only find the very last panel a bit doubtful. Or I don't understand the joke. Why does Gyro choose to thrown the stones from a bridge into the water?
Am I dumb?
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Fri May 12, 2006 2:32 am

Egg wrote:
Rockerduck wrote:Unfortunately I can't read Italian (it *is* Italian, isn't it?).

There's an English translation at the left side of the story. Easy to follow.
I guess it's an Italian translation. Maybe from an Italian fanzine? I don't think the writer and artists are Italians. I think they're from Denmark or Scandinavia.

I only find the very last panel a bit doubtful. Or I don't understand the joke. Why does Gyro choose to thrown the stones from a bridge into the water?
Am I dumb?

I remember seeing that story printed in a fanzine or uploaded onto DCML or somewhere, about 10-15 years ago. I think it is very funny. Gyro is always inventing things people don't need. Who cares what a rock would THINK??? So Gyro does a lot of hard work to find out the "secret desires of inanimate objects". They just want to lie there (unbelievably - they just want to do what nature has allowed them to do)!!! The joke is poking fun at humans, who are almost never satisfied with their lot.

I think it WAS a Danish Donald fan who wrote and drew it. It may even have been someone I kno, who showed it to me. Or else, it may have been published in Freddy milton and Pau Mathiasen's Carl Barks & Co. Danish Disney Comics fanzine. The latter rings a bell with me. I think that's where I first saw it.

Are Eggs dumb? YES! The VERY DEFINITION OF DUMB!!! They cannot talk!!! But that's not the important question. The important question is what are the secret desires of Eggs? Egg - you may not be able to talk, .....but you can type post messages. Do Eggs have more ambitions than stones? Inquiring minds want to know!
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Fri May 12, 2006 2:37 am

ARRGH! THIS is precisely why I HATE having no edit function. As soon as I finished my post I noticed the credits to Kristian Pedersen. My guess was correct! It WAS a Danish fan! I'm sure it was published in Carl Barks & Co., or, perhaps the more recent Danish Disney comics fanzine: DDF (R)Appet.
Robb_K

Postby Ole Damgaard » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:55 pm

Robb_K wrote:ARRGH! THIS is precisely why I HATE having no edit function. As soon as I finished my post I noticed the credits to Kristian Pedersen. My guess was correct! It WAS a Danish fan! I'm sure it was published in Carl Barks & Co., or, perhaps the more recent Danish Disney comics fanzine: DDF (R)Appet.

This was published in "Mads Føk", a paper from Aarhus University, where the author was a student at the time. (I think Mads Føk relates to Math / Physics, or something like that. )

The story at inducks: http://coa.inducks.org/issue.php/x/dk/MF+24-04

Kristian and an occasional co-author have made a lot of similar stories, very funny and witty, involving computer science, and other things you wouldn't normally see in a Donald Duck or Mickey story. Great stuff!
Ole Damgaard

Postby pryds » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:08 pm

The first time I found out about Kristian's stories was 6 ot 7 years ago when I was given an issue of Mads Føk that contains the story Mesterdatalogen (The Master Computer Scientist). Perhaps this story is especially funny for me since I have studied computer science, myself.

None of Kristians stories have been published in DDF(R)appet (and chances are that they never will be, sadly), and as far as I know neither in Carl Barks & Co.. If I am not mistaken, they have only been published in the Danish university paper Mads Føk which Ole talked about and which I guess are quite hard to get by. Last year Kristian made a very nice cover drawing for an issue of DDF(R)appet, though (which is not hard to get by ;) ).
pryds

Postby pryds » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:11 pm

Here's an English translation of another one of Kristian's gags. This is a parody of the Mickey Mouse detective puzzle stories.

pryds

Postby Egg » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:11 pm

pryds wrote:Here's an English translation of another one of Kristian's gags. This is a parody of the Mickey Mouse detective puzzle stories.

Thanks! This is a tough one. What's the answer?

I think it's the second one, on the sofa. He says he's sitting, but he's lying.
Correct?
Egg

Postby WB » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:11 pm

LOL!!!
WB

Postby McDuck Menu » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:13 pm

Egg wrote:
pryds wrote:Here's an English translation of another one of Kristian's gags. This is a parody of the Mickey Mouse detective puzzle stories.

Thanks! This is a tough one. What's the answer?

I think it's the second one, on the sofa. He says he's sitting, but he's lying.
Correct?

Yeah, he couldn't have been sitting there all night, because next to his sofa is some junk, a banana peal, and some other stuff, so he must have been visiting his refrigorator or some cabinet. And because he ate those things, he must have had go to the toilet, right? Also, he's wearing a hat. you don't wear hats inside the house..very suspicious.. :P This is a real hard one. ;)
McDuck Menu

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:29 am

Every time I read those Mickey-detective-riddles, it makes me wonder: why does the police of Mousetown needs Mickey to solve these crimes, when all the clues are so friggin' obvious?! What does that say about the police? How is it possible that not the entire town is being robbed? :P
Rockerduck

Postby Ole Damgaard » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:58 pm

pryds wrote:Here's an English translation of another one of Kristian's gags.

Hej Thomas. Did you translate it? As you know, I think this is about the best of all the Mads Føk-stories/gags! Hilarious!
Ole Damgaard

Postby pryds » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:11 pm

Ole Damgaard wrote:Hej Thomas. Did you translate it?

I did, yes. Afterwards I noticed a coup'la things that could've been translated in a better way, but well...

As you know, I think this is about the best of all the Mads Føk-stories/gags! Hilarious!

It is a thick, thick parody, and yes, I agree, it is hillarious when you know the usual puzzle stories and have been sort of irritated about the fact that they are sometimes too easy to solve.

But it is actually very different from the longer "Mads Føk" stories, which I also like very much. I wish I could show one of those, but they are too long and complex for me to translate (also, much of the dialogue is untranslatable gags). If weird Gearloose-inventions and philosophical/existential discussions (!) are your stuff, this might be something for you :)
pryds

Return to Fanfiction