Technical matters McDuck and McDrake

questions, corrections, complaints, suggestions

Postby Daniel73 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:55 pm

Technical matters related to McDuck and McDrake:
Today 22:34:36, Rob_K wrote:Grumble, gripe! This forum won't accept me as a member, because someone else (I, myself) have the same user name and e-mail address. So I had to post as a guest! Can you fix this, please?

Index » Carl Barks » General questions about Barks
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopi ... 2086#p2086

You can just login under your Robb_K profile as you did on McDuck, with the same password. There's no need to resubscribe, as you already are a member.

(Only the Dutch 'McDrake Nederland - Disney' is a new board with a new register system. )
Daniel73

Postby Robb_K » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:58 am

It didn't accept me before, with my old password. Okay. This worked now, here on McDrake International, now that I re-registered, with a new password you sent me. But, I still can't get onto McDrake Nederland, and I think I will lose my avatar.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:01 am

No,- I see that I still have my avatar. I'd better check the McDrake Dutch forum, and see if I can get on, and whether or not I lose my avatar-and which password I can use. I also hope you can transfer the two posts I made as Rob_K (guest) to my real name as member, so I get my avatar on them, and people know who I am.
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:49 am

Robb_K wrote:No,- I see that I still have my avatar. I'd better check the McDrake Dutch forum, and see if I can get on, and whether or not I lose my avatar-and which password I can use. I also hope you can transfer the two posts I made as Rob_K (guest) to my real name as member, so I get my avatar on them, and people know who I am.

That transfer is not possible, as far as I know. At least I would expect that. Otherwise a moderator would be able to mix up people's names with other people's messages.
A solution could be that you write a reply to each of the "Rob_K"-postings, identifying them as yours.

In general, PunBB is very limited in editing topics and postings. There's only a choice between:
- moving and deleting of entire topics
- deleting and editing of postings
Daniel73

Postby Sander » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 am

Changing the author of a post isn't possible in PunBB indeed. It is possible to edit the database directly, but I rather don't. It's too much work and when it goes wrong weird things can happen. So Daniël's summary of what a moderator can do, is correct.
Sander

Postby Robb_K » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:42 pm

Then, I'll write a replacement Robb_K post, and you can (if it pleases you) delete all the Rob_K posts that will become unnecessary extra junk to the thread.
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:40 am

From topic 'Editing posts':
2007-04-25, Robb_K wrote:By the way,- Often I sign in to mcdrake, and the message says that I have logged in successfully. Then I go back to the forum, and it says I am NOT logged in. I do it many, many times, and it always says I am NOT logged in. This occurs only when I am using computers that are not my own. I'm not sure if that is related to my original computer address from which I registered for mcduck.nl, as I don't remember if I registered when i was working at my computer in The Netherlands, or my computer in USA. But, about 2/3 of the time I work on someone else's computer, I AM allowed to log in. I'm sure this problem occurs with other members, as we have many posts with a member signing in with his/her member name, but as a guest (i.e.-"Henrieke als gast").

I don't know the difference between a PunBB board and the other types.

http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?p=2581#p2581

This common problem, of not being able to log in, would be interesting for a FAQ. (Frequently Asked Questions.)

Location of registration doesn't matter. I think the problem has to do with cookies-options on the computer of the user. As I've understood, PunBB needs to use a cookie to keep a user logged in. If the cookies-options don't allow a cookie being placed at the user's computer, PunBB will not be able to recognize the user as being logged in.
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:05 am

From topic 'Editing posts':
04-05-2007, Robb_K wrote:Again today, as on most days, when I log in from a different computer (from the one I registered from) the message says "Yoy have logged in succesfully", but then the next page says "You are not logged in." And, I CAN'T log in. I return to Nederland in a couple of weeks, and I am worried that when I use my computer there, I won't be able to log on. Please fix this problem. Also, I will be working in Denmark, starting in late June, and in Germany (on a DIFFERENT computer)from early July through early September). I won't return to my USA computer until October. I don't want to be prevented from posting on McDrake until then!!!

http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?p=2671#p2671
As far as I know, the problem lies at the software options of the computers(s) you're using. The options for the so-called "cookies". I cannot change that. That has to be done at your side.

(I wish the open guest-option can return. Then people won't need to log in, to contribute.)
Daniel73

Return to About McDrake International