Welcome

questions, corrections, complaints, suggestions

Postby Egg » Mon May 01, 2006 11:10 am

Welcome, WB!

WB wrote:I assume that there is no edit function here?

Indeed. There's no edit-function. Robb_K is protesting against that. But a problem with the edit-function is that people can erase messages when they start to chicken out. On the Dutch forum, someone posted a message and later removed the text when discussion arose.
What I'd therefore prefer is an edit-function with a time-lock, when possible.
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Tue May 02, 2006 8:26 pm

Egg wrote:Welcome, WB!

WB wrote:I assume that there is no edit function here?

Indeed. There's no edit-function. Robb_K is protesting against that. But a problem with the edit-function is that people can erase messages when they start to chicken out. On the Dutch forum, someone posted a message and later removed the text when discussion arose.
What I'd therefore prefer is an edit-function with a time-lock, when possible.

Good idea EGG! A time lock edit function would be okay. I usually see my errors JUST AS I FINISH STRIKING THE SUBMIT BUTTON!!!
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Tue May 02, 2006 8:52 pm

Robb_K wrote:A time lock edit function would be okay. I usually see my errors JUST AS I FINISH STRIKING THE SUBMIT BUTTON!!!

The same for me. That's why I have a love/hate-relation with the edit-option.
On mailing lists like DCML, an email becomes virtually solid rock as soon as it's sent, for eternity. And I would like to see McDuck having the same situation, as much as reasonably possible. Some people use the edit-function to change the path of history, a long time after the message was written. That's my objection.

What I would like to see is (1) a time-lock, (2) a downloadable archive, and (3) a way of logging the edits.
Reason for the third wish is that if important information gets destroyed, there's still a back-up if nescessary. (Or is that already the case?)

As I understood it, PunBB doesn't have any timelock options. I got the advice to go after it myself, but haven't done that so far.
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Tue May 02, 2006 10:00 pm

I don't edit out important information-only spelling errors and and fixing up a sentence that I realise may not be understandable with out my adding information that I had thought was in the thread previously, and now realise was not there. On a rare occaision that I might notice that I've written something unreasonable, that might offend a reasonable person, I want the chance to remove that, or, reword it in a more acceptable way.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Wed May 03, 2006 12:03 am

Robb_K wrote:On a rare occaision that I might notice that I've written something unreasonable, that might offend a reasonable person, I want the chance to remove that, or, reword it in a more acceptable way.

That's very confusing. When writing something unreasonable it can be explained in a new posting. Egg is very much against changing the path of history. People have to learn from what they do, and the past can't be changed. So therefore I'd rather accept errors than editing submitted posts. I think it's a case of learning to think before writing. I'm very hard on that myself. There are a lot of postings which I would like to enhance, but it feels like cheating myself.

The reason why I like editing is that I can correct grammatical errors and technical mistakes. But also then I tend to change too much, even though it's shortly after submitting. And sometimes I see the message already has been answered. That's internet.

I think the only solution is using the "Preview"-feature, which already is a luxury. And if even there are still errors after proofreading then it's just a matter of fate or being too easy on myself.
In the past when I couldn't use the edit-option on McDuck, I wrote much better than now. McDuck International gives me a chance of being a little harder on myself again. So, even though my English is a limitation, I like this edit-free forum the most. It is as it is.

After I've sent a message I'm really rid of it. It's there on the screen and that's it. If it's wrong I have to defend that and accept that I make mistakes. On the Dutch sections I sometimes lazily edit my message multiple times, sometimes getting lost in what it is I wanted to change so much. Here on the international section I'm free of those disturbing worries.

Maybe an inbetween solution could be that there's a short-term time-lock and a limited amount of edit-submissions.

(And now... there I go! I've been without coffee far too long. Submit the thing!)
Egg

Postby Sander » Thu May 04, 2006 6:27 pm

Please continue the discussion about the edit function in Editing posts.

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Sander on Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sander

Postby Egg » Sun May 14, 2006 4:50 pm

Sob! Sob! Everyone is making a fool out of me here. Everyone is mean. While I've always been kind and patient, waiting for worldpeace. How can I safely hatch if everyone is so bad?
Please all you people, be kind to me and praise every word I say. That will be a good therapy for my ego. Just write: "We love you Egg!" and "We're not worthy!"
Thanks for your support.
Egg

Postby Crowd » Mon May 15, 2006 4:31 pm

We love you Egg! We're not worthy!
Crowd

Postby Ridder ter Geit » Mon May 15, 2006 4:47 pm

Life can be tough. Accept this and it will be a bit better to cope with it.
Ridder ter Geit

Postby Egg » Tue May 16, 2006 2:37 am

Ridder ter Geit wrote:Life can be tough. Accept this and it will be a bit better to cope with it.

I won't! I won't! I'm a perfectionistic idealistic Egg.
Egg

Postby Ridder ter Geit » Sun May 21, 2006 9:07 pm

Ah. You now tell us you are. You accept the way you are and you cope with it.
Ridder ter Geit

Postby jaen Stone » Tue May 30, 2006 11:50 am

I am here for the first time.
ik hoor eigelijk John Brick te heten.
jaen Stone

Postby Rockerduck » Tue May 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Welcome to this forum, Jaen Stone. I hope you'll like it here.

Now let's talk Ducks!
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Tue May 30, 2006 7:47 pm

Rockerduck wrote:Now let's talk Ducks!

You first! :D
Egg

Postby jaen Stone » Wed May 31, 2006 10:27 am

Dutch---->: Wat betekent you first???
ik hoor eigelijk John Brick te heten.
jaen Stone

PreviousNext

Return to About McDrake International