Did you ever get the opportunity to meet Barks?

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Daniel73 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Private email sent to "A Guidebook"-site:

- - - - - - - -

To: [dve]
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 4:59 AM
Subject: Carl Barks

Hello!
My name is Rachel and I am one of Carl's Great-Granddaughters. I am always so amazed at the the dedication of his fans. Did you ever get the opportunity to meat my grandfather?
It would be nice to see how many people who seem so dedicated to him have actually met him.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Rachel

- - - - - - - -
Daniel73

Postby Robb_K » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:32 pm

I had the opportunity to meet your great grandfather three times in person in 1969, 1970 and 1971 -all at his house in Goleta. I was introduced to him on the telephone by Malcom Willits in 1966. We corresponded by letter and telephone from 1966-1972. Then, I moved back to The Netherlands and was working mainly in Africa, The Middle East and Far East, so we lost contact. Actually, I decided not to be one of his fans who took a lot of his time, as he was, by that time, being overcome by scores of fans hounding him by visits to his home, and sending scads of letters. I started working for Dutch Disney Comics in 1985, and then for Danish Disney comics in 1989. By 1990, my drawing and stories were good enough quality for me to send samples to him to see. He was glad for our reconnecting, and proud of me that I was now making stories and drawing them.

I also am a pen pal of his granddaughter Patti (your mother, or aunt?)
Rob Klein
Robb_K

Postby RB71 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:17 pm

She is my mother.

Thank you for responding =)

RB
RB71

Postby Robb_K » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:41 am

Hi Rachel. I am happy to tell you that I considered your grandfather a great man, and even a friend, despite the fact that we only spent three days together in person. He had a gigantic effect on my life, including the main inspiration for two of my three careers, and the courage to take on the third. He and Gare were always very nice to me. I also like your mother very much, and think she is a very nice person. I still hope to visit Montana again some day and get together with her.

Rob Klein
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Two internet articles related to visiting Barks in the early 1960s:

The Good Duck Artist unmasked
Wednesday, July 07, 2010
http://potrzebie.blogspot.com/2010/07/walt-disney-comics-stories-249-june.html
John Spicer's first letter to Barks. Followed by Barks's reply.

Memories of Meeting the Master
http://www.thegoodartist.com/cbfc07.pdf
By Joseph Cowles. Undated. (It mentions the year 2008 and is mentioned in the July 2010 article.)
Daniel73

Postby McDuck Menu » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Daniel73 wrote:Two internet articles related to visiting Barks in the early 1960s:

The Good Duck Artist unmasked
Wednesday, July 07, 2010
http://potrzebie.blogspot.com/2010/07/walt-disney-comics-stories-249-june.html
John Spicer's first letter to Barks. Followed by Barks's reply.

Very nice to read this, I always wondered what it would have been like to correspond with carl Barks himself. This gives me a small taste of it :)
McDuck Menu

Postby Robb_K » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:41 pm

I highly recommend your going to "www.cbarks.dk to read the other Carl Barks Collection articles. They are all very interesting. Peter Kylling has uploaded the full (unabridged) articles (before their cutting by Egmont). Several of them were cut down to smaller size, due to size restrictions. Peter has gotten the complete original articles directly from the writers. My article has 2 long paragraphs with anecdotes and recollections from my meetings with Barks that were published nowhere else. That is also true for some of the other writers' articles.
Robb_K

Postby Jan Erik » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:10 am

Ahhh, it's nice that something finally happens!
Jan Erik

Postby McDuck Menu » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Robb_K wrote:I highly recommend your going to "www.cbarks.dk to read the other Carl Barks Collection articles. They are all very interesting. Peter Kylling has uploaded the full (unabridged) articles (before their cutting by Egmont). Several of them were cut down to smaller size, due to size restrictions. Peter has gotten the complete original articles directly from the writers. My article has 2 long paragraphs with anecdotes and recollections from my meetings with Barks that were published nowhere else. That is also true for some of the other writers' articles.

Thanks, I'll be spending a lot of time there ;)
McDuck Menu

Postby David Kopsky » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:05 pm

I have registered!! Just got the email!
David Kopsky

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Robb_K wrote:Peter has gotten the complete original articles directly from the writers. My article has 2 long paragraphs with anecdotes and recollections from my meetings with Barks that were published nowhere else. That is also true for some of the other writers' articles.

Is there an article about your visits? Can you give a link?
Daniel73

Postby Robb_K » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:20 pm

I cannot find the index page to "The Meetings", which would list all the early fan visits to Carl Barks. But you can search "The Meetings" on the website's main page, and the list will include all the fan recollection articles, as well as articles on Barks' meetings with Disney Comics Franchise groups on his European tour and other documented meetings. That means that you will have to go down the list and find "The Meetings-Tank", "The Meetings-Boatner", "The Meetings-Klein", "The Meetings-Stajano", etc. , and find them and read them, one-by-one. It will be a bit of work.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Here is a link to my article "The Lost Story" (about Barks' shelved "Golden Apple/Queen of the Apple Festival story"):

http://www.cbarks.dk/theloststory.htm
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Here is a link to my article about my meetings with Carl Barks (original longer article that was cut down for printing in The Scandinavian and German "Carl Barks Collection"):

http://www.cbarks.dk/themeetingsklein.htm
Robb_K

Return to Carl Barks