General questions about Barks

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Robb_K » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:06 pm

Sorry, I forgot. It is NOT The "Horseradish Story". It doesn't seem to be any of the other sea stories from USA "Uncle Scrooge" Dell Comics. I'll have to check the later (Gold Key) Uncle Scrooges, as well as the Dell, longer Donald Duck stories, tonight. Sorry.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:10 am

In "Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold", (Barks/Jach Hannah, 1942), Donald eats some hardtack when The Ducks are on a raft to the island. Hardtack wasn't mentionrd per se, and the boxes were labled "biscuits". But it's clear that they are hardtack. I didn't find hardtack in any of the Gold Key Uncle Scrooge comics, or in any other of the Barks stories in US Donald Duck comic books. I'll have to check the Annuals, and giveaways next. Then all the 10-pagers.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:40 am

There was no hardtack story in The Annuals and giveaways. There are only Barks' 10 pagers.
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:32 pm

From an email sent to "A Guidebook"-site:

Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:39 PM
Subject: Question about carl barks

- - - - - - - -

Hello,

I was surfing the net for one certain drawing by mr.carl barks, and I happened to end up in your web page. Looks very good, its great to see Barks work having the respect they deserve. I am one of the great fans myself, of course!

Anyway, what I was looking for is a drawing, or rather a sketch, of donals different facial expressions. Theres something like 15-20 (if I remember it right..) different expressions of Don´s face (they go with the other ducks too, of course), and some scales for drawing the nephews next to adult ducks. If i recollect right, Barks did this drawing for other artist to work on.

I think I have seen this drawing in some of the Gladstones publications (comics and stories by Barks, D.D ´s Adventures etc.), and even here in Finland they have had it in some Barks collections. Still this far I´ve been unlucky finding it again, and I was wondering if you could help me out with this one?

- - - - - - - -
Daniel73

Postby A guess(t) » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:15 pm

Did you reply to that email? Does he or she mean the 1950 drawings from The Modelsheets at cbarks.dk?
A guess(t)

Postby Tuomo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:03 pm

A guess(t) wrote:Did you reply to that email? Does he or she mean the 1950 drawings from The Modelsheets at cbarks.dk?

Thanks a lot, that was just what i was looking for, and more!!! I had only saw donald and scrooge sheets, gyro and magica were extras! Thanks again!

-t
Tuomo

Postby Daniel73 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:00 am

From an email sent to "A Guidebook"-site:

Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:30 AM
Subject: Duck comics

- - - - - - - - - -

I wonder if you can help me: I am looking for the titles (if they even HAVE titles!:) to two Carl Barks stories, from the 50's or 60's. In one, I cannot remember the plot! Only that Uncle Scrooge has Donald & the nephews Huey Dewey & Louie along in a submarine, going to some secret place for some treasure hunting or some such. I remember the nephews were VERY worried that they wouldn't get back in time for Christmas, and that Santa couldn't find them to deliver presents way out on the bottom of the ocean. In the end, Uncle Scrooge opens a secret box in the sub or maybe gets it in a rondezvous with a ship on the surface? cant remember! but its laden with presents for the nephews, and somehow they find the treasure whatever it was, for a Merry Christmas all around! sorry so vague, thats all I can remember!
The other comic was Donald & the nephews, I forget this plot too, although it seems they were out to "live off the land", either in Alaska or Canada and have mishaps with bears while picking salmon berries, trying to fish for salmon, and a Fish & Game warden for clam digging without a liscence- I remember in the end, the warden lets Donald keep a clam, which turns out to be an oyster full of pearls. Donald & the nephews hit a diner, ordering up Salmon berry pies, Salmon dinners, and clam chowder or some such, waving their bag of pearls or money, declaring "We're ALL hungry!!" :)

- - - - - - - - - -
Daniel73

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:51 pm

I'm not sure what the title of the first story is, but I know that the second one is "Gall of the Wild."
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Rob_K » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:31 pm

Daniel73 wrote:I wonder if you can help me: I am looking for the titles to two Carl Barks stories, from the 50's and 60's. Uncle Scrooge has Donald & the nephews Huey Dewey & Louie along in a submarine, going to some secret place for some treasure hunting or some such. I remember the nephews were VERY worried that they wouldn't get back in time for Christmas, and that Santa couldn't find them to deliver presents way out on the bottom of the ocean. In the end, Uncle Scrooge opens a secret box in the sub or maybe gets it in a rondezvous with a ship on the surface? cant remember! but its laden with presents for the nephews, and somehow they find the treasure whatever it was, for a Merry Christmas all around! sorry so vague, thats all I can remember!

The other comic was Donald & the nephews, I forget this plot too, although it seems they were out to "live off the land", either in Alaska or Canada and have mishaps with bears while picking salmon berries, trying to fish for salmon, and a Fish & Game warden for clam digging without a liscence- I remember in the end, the warden lets Donald keep a clam, which turns out to be an oyster full of pearls. Donald & the nephews hit a diner, ordering up Salmon berry pies, Salmon dinners, and clam chowder or some such, waving their bag of pearls or money, declaring "We're ALL hungry!!" :)

- - - - - - - - - -

The first is from WDC & S #172, from Jan. 1955. It was untitled originally. It was given the following title in a later reprint: "Christmas Under The Ocean".

The second story was said (in the storyline) to take place in "Along The North Coast". I take this to mean The northern portion of the coast of Calisota, or its northern neighbour, Oregon. The only clue mentioned in the story is salmon, bears, clams, berries, and the name "Tillamook". The west coast of Oregon is great for clam digging, has salmon, berries and bears. The town of Tillamook is located in Oregon, and so are Tillamook salmon. It's also possible that this took place in Washington, or even British Columbia or The Panhandle of Alaska, but the links to Oregon are too strong, and also the northern part of Calisota has all these features.
Rob_K

Postby Rob_K » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:34 pm

Grumble, gripe! This forum won't accept me as a member, because someone else (I, myself) have the same user name and e-mail address. So I had to post as a guest! Can you fix this, please?
Rob_K

Postby Daniel73 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:57 pm

Rob_K wrote:Grumble, gripe! This forum won't accept me as a member, because someone else (I, myself) have the same user name and e-mail address. So I had to post as a guest! Can you fix this, please?

I've put my answer at: Technical matters McDuck and McDrake
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?t=199
Daniel73

Postby Dusty » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:34 am

Hello,
Thanks so much for all your replies!! I will now search dogpile.com for reference to these two stories & maybe find em on ebay! To the person who inquired about hardtack, I cannot recall the title but there was a Barks story in which Donald & the 3 nephews get shanghied aboard a ship, after Donald finds the nephews playing pirate & pretending to eat weevily beans & hardtack-and telling them how ridiculous they are being, theres no such thing as pirates or weevily beans anymore! On board ship, they are forced to work for the pirates & Donald has to eat - you guessed it- weevily beans & hardtack!! :) Hardtack being a kind of ship's biscuit, and well, weevily beans are beans with weevils in them! as a kid, we lived out of town, and our flour, pilot bread, cereal etc. often fell victim to weevil infestation- I find they're all right raw & crunchy, but cooked are rather mushy! Happy New Year everyone, and thanks again! Dusty Lane
Dusty

Postby Robb_K » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:18 am

Dusty wrote:Hello,
Thanks so much for all your replies!! I will now search dogpile.com for reference to these two stories & maybe find em on ebay! To the person who inquired about hardtack, I cannot recall the title but there was a Barks story in which Donald & the 3 nephews get shanghied aboard a ship, after Donald finds the nephews playing pirate & pretending to eat weevily beans & hardtack-and telling them how ridiculous they are being, theres no such thing as pirates or weevily beans anymore! On board ship, they are forced to work for the pirates & Donald has to eat - you guessed it- weevily beans & hardtack!! :) Hardtack being a kind of ship's biscuit, and well, weevily beans are beans with weevils in them! as a kid, we lived out of town, and our flour, pilot bread, cereal etc. often fell victim to weevil infestation- I find they're all right raw & crunchy, but cooked are rather mushy! Happy New Year everyone, and thanks again! Dusty Lane

I KNEW I remembered a Barks story in which he used hardtack! I think he may have had at least one more, but can't think of which one it could be. The story you've referred to with the hardtack was WDC & S #283, titled: "Cap'n Blight's Mystery Ship".
Robb_K

Postby germund » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:49 pm

Here's a tough question that I sincerely hope someone will able to solve. I have reason to believe that the Donald pose in this Scandinavian cover is taken from a Barks story:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/D++++60-40

Huey, Dewey and Louie are from a panel in WDC206 but I believe I recognize Donald too and it's frustrating not being able to identify it. Any of you other Basrks enthusiasts who can help?
germund

Postby Robb_K » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:12 pm

germund wrote:Here's a tough question that I sincerely hope someone will able to solve. I have reason to believe that the Donald pose in this Scandinavian cover is taken from a Barks story:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/D++++60-40

Huey, Dewey and Louie are from a panel in WDC206 but I believe I recognize Donald too and it's frustrating not being able to identify it. Any of you other Basrks enthusiasts who can help?

I think the upper and middle part of Donald may have been taken from a Barks pose (maybe from "Trick Or Treat"? But the bottom of his torso and the legs and feet were drawn free-hand (and wrongly done).
Robb_K

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks