Characters in Barks stories

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:33 pm

Topic dedicated to characters in Barks stories.

= Bolivar/Bornworthy/Bernie (Donald's dog) =

I've understood from DCML that Bolivar was named Bornworthy because of political reasons. That could be researched.
In Barks's stories, I've counted three saint bernard dogs. They are named Bolivar, Bornworthy and Bernie. It could be one saint bernard dog having three different names, or two dogs of which one has two different names, but that's a matter of discussion and investigation.

Barks stories with saint bernards like Bolivar:
- Three Dirty Little Ducks (WDC 43) ("Bolivar")
- icebox sleep-walking (WDC 56) ("Bolivar")
- parrot joe from singapore (WDC 65) ("Bolivar")
- howlingest cat in the neighborhood (WDC 76) ("Bolivar")
- super-magician (WDC 82) ("Bolivar")
- operation rescue saint bernard (WDC 125) ("Bornworthy")
- christmas bath (WDC 184) ("Bernie")

Barks cover with saint bernards like Bolivar:
- new heat wave due (WDC 95)

Barks painting with saint bernards like Bolivar:
- Snow Fun (1974)
- Heat Wave (May 1996)

Submission date of the christmas bath story is 31 March 1955, and the cover date is 1956.
For this this overview I've counted dogs that look remarkably like Bolivar, like the heat wave cover. Principally speaking that could be another saint bernard.

I've heard Barks liked to draw dogs. 'North of the Yukon' (US 59) could be an example of that, which contains the dog Barko. Another remarkable dog is the Official Woodchuck Bloodhound, General Snozzie. (WDC 213)

= Behe, son of Bolivar/Bornworthy =

Someone told me Bolivar/Bornworthy has a son, named Behe, which appears in one Barks story:
- old love letters (WDC 111)

Behe is the dog shown in panels 3.7 and 3.8. In panel 3.7, Donald says: "Track them down, Behe! This case is DESPERATE!"

= Other pets =

The story about parrot Joe from Singapore shows Donald having two pets. A cat and a dog. The cat's name is "Tabby", but it could be the type of cat, or both.
In panel 7.3, Donald says: "Tabby! TABBY! What the Sam Hill AILS you? OW!"
In panel 8.2: "Everything seems to be as usual! I guess Tabby and Bolivar were just having nightmares!"

This means that there are two stories in which Donald has a cat:
- parrot joe from singapore (WDC 65)
- howlingest cat in the neighborhood (WDC 76)

There are more types of pets. Several Barks stories contain fishes in bowls. Well-known is a bowl overcrowded with fishes. There's a Barks quote about Garé asking him to stop drawing too many fishes in one one bowl, as children might imitate it.
And there's the chipmunk mascot story (WDC 168). The nephews have a pet chipmunk named Cheltenham, an alligator named Alfred, and later Donald has a talking mynah bird as pet.

Sources: All the above information is derived from earlier posts on McDuck.
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopi ... 1222#p1222
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopi ... 1223#p1223

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Daniel73 on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel73

Postby Flintheart Glomgold » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:54 pm

Great list, but I think, Bolivar was also in the Gyro Gearloose-10 pager "The Gab-Muffer".
Flintheart Glomgold

Postby Daniel73 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:33 am

Flintheart Glomgold wrote:Great list, but I think, Bolivar was also in the Gyro Gearloose-10 pager "The Gab-Muffer".

Thanks. I've checked the CBL and haven't found any name for this saint bernard dog, despite its significant role in the story, playing an intelligence game with Gyro's little helper.

update
Bolivar/Bornworthy/Bernie (Donald's dog)

Barks stories with saint bernards like Bolivar:
- Three Dirty Little Ducks (WDC 43) ("Bolivar")
- icebox sleep-walking (WDC 56) ("Bolivar")
- parrot joe from singapore (WDC 65) ("Bolivar")
- howlingest cat in the neighborhood (WDC 76) ("Bolivar")
- super-magician (WDC 82) ("Bolivar")
- operation rescue saint bernard (WDC 125) ("Bornworthy")
- The Gab-muffer (OS 1047) (unnamed)
- christmas bath (WDC 184) ("Bernie")
Daniel73

Postby Olivier » Thu May 03, 2007 7:45 pm

There certainly is a lot to write about animals in the duck comics (and the mouse strips).

Other Pets

- dogs: two wonderful characters, the Smugsnorkle Squatty and funny little Herbert (""The Smugsnorkle Squatty"-- WDC&S # 70, July 1946)
- a falcon ("Farragut the Falcon"-- WDC&S # 47, August 1944)
- plenty of pets-- goat, chipmunks, ... ("Plenty of Pets"-- WDC&S # 106, July 1949)
- a camel ("The Hammy Cammel"-- WDC&S # 160, January 1954)
- ants ("Donald Duck Rants About Ants"-- WDC&S # 170, November 1954)
- dogs, fish, ... (not Donald's, but he takes care of them-- well, he tries) ("Donald's Pet Service"-- WDC&S # 200, May 1957)
- lion-- not Donald's, but the pet of the addresse of a mysterious package ("Special Delivery", WDC&S # 203, August 1957)
- a moose ("The Code of Duckburg"-- WDC&S # 208, January 1958)
- bees (not quite pets, but wasn't Donald planning to raise them?) ("Bee Bumbles"-- WDC&S # 158, November 1953)
- mice ("The Duckburg Pet Parade"-- WDC&S # 277, October 1963)
- frogs: "The Great Duckburg Frog Jumping Contest" (WDC&S # 108, September 1949), "Old Froggie Catapult" (the only one with a name, isn't he?-- WDC&S # 216, September 1958), "Froggy Farmer" (WDC&S # 236, May 1960)

There seems to have been a genuine ant farm craze. Could someeone illuminate us on this, please? I seem to remember another story (by Barks? someone else? or maybe just the same story). In an episode of C.S.I. I saw recently (fourth season, I believe, but they're showing it in utter disorder; yes, here it is: "Grissom versus the Volcano"), Gil Grissom says he won some sort of prize in class for his ant farm (look for "ant farm" in the text on the page linked to above).
There have never been such things in France; children usually keep hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits (yes, even in town). I had a cat.

Unusual Creatures

- Scrooge's zoo & the unicorn ("Trail of the Unicorn"-- Donald Duck Four Color # 263, February 1950)

Imagelivier
Olivier

Return to Carl Barks