Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Olivier » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:38 pm

Oh right; I didn't check the story; I do remember the nephews' disguise, now.
Olivier

Postby Egg » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:48 pm

"My coughing COFFERS! That's MORE MONEY than we have in the world!"
hint #1: "The big cry-babies! They ran off before I could even get my feathers ruffled!"
Egg

Postby Olivier » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:57 pm

The hint helped a lot: this is from the insurance story, where Scrooge buys an insurance from Donald for $1 million or so, which means the insurance will have to pay him a fortune (quotation) if anything befalls him-- which he does his best to cause, sawing off a flagpole, then standing his ground when a huge bully and his dog want him to get out of the way (hint quote).
Olivier

Postby Robb_K » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:18 pm

I should have gotten that!!! That quote rang in my ears, but I couldn't place it. I can still see the pitiful look of fear on the Insurance company manager's face when he said that.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:47 pm

hint #1: "The big cry-babies! They ran off before I could even get my feathers ruffled!"

Olivier wrote:The hint helped a lot: this is from the insurance story, where Scrooge buys an insurance from Donald for $1 million or so, which means the insurance will have to pay him a fortune (quotation) if anything befalls him-- which he does his best to cause, sawing off a flagpole, then standing his ground when a huge bully and his dog want him to get out of the way (hint quote).

Correct. WDC 180.

According to this story, two billion dollars would be more money than there is in the world. Egg guesses this must just be an exaggeration. Or can the comment be taken literally, in the 1950s?

If Scrooge can get rich by paying an insurance policy one billions dollars to get twice the amount, then why haven't other rich people tried the same in real life?
People could imitate Scrooge and get rich. What does this comic book policy contain that apparently is impossible in real life?

Egg feels stupid. Can someone answer these questions?

One point that wouldn't work in real life is that Scrooge tries to get hurt on purpose. I guess that would be the same as taking a life insurance and then openly commit suicide to get the money. (For heirs.)

"Musty old place! Still just as it was in 1872!"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:28 pm

Egg wrote:

According to this story, two billion dollars would be more money than there is in the world. Egg guesses this must just be an exaggeration. Or can the comment be taken literally, in the 1950s?

If Scrooge can get rich by paying an insurance policy one billions dollars to get twice the amount, then why haven't other rich people tried the same in real life?
People could imitate Scrooge and get rich. What does this comic book policy contain that apparently is impossible in real life?

One point that wouldn't work in real life is that Scrooge tries to get hurt on purpose. I guess that would be the same as taking a life insurance and then openly commit suicide to get the money. (For heirs.)

(which Barks story?)

"more money than WE have in The World!" "WE" being-The Break And Bruise Insurance Company. $2 billion was more than the company's total worldwide assets. This was NOT an exaggeration or error on Barks' part.

There are insurance frauds perpetrated in the hundreds of thousands in USA, regularly. THAT is the main reason why insurance costs so very much in that country. There are thousands upon thousands of people who fake injuries, or deliberately run in front of moving cars or deliberately get hurt in other ways to collect insurance, but also sue the party "at fault", for "pain and suffering" (which includes supposed mental anguish). I think that Barks was making fun of that.
Robb_K

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:18 am

Mystery of the Ghost Town Railroad?
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:39 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"Musty old place! Still just as it was in 1872!"

Mystery of the Ghost Town Railroad?

NO! Goldopolis didn't exist in 1872. It was built for the gold rush which lasted 1898-2003.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:06 am

Robb_K wrote:"more money than WE have in The World!" "WE" being-The Break And Bruise Insurance Company. $2 billion was more than the company's total worldwide assets. This was NOT an exaggeration or error on Barks' part.

(Blush!) Egg read it different. The word "we" standing for mankind.
Interesting how the very same sentence can have two different meanings. Also interesting how a proofreader could just corrupt a proper text.

(which Barks story?)
hint #1: "Lucky these walls were crumbly with age!"
Egg

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:22 am

(which Barks story?)
hint #2: "Gee! Reward notices for old-time desperados!"
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:08 am

Egg wrote:"Musty old place! Still just as it was in 1872!"
(which Barks story?)

AHA! It's from Walt Disney's Comics & Stories Nr. 176. The untitled story of "Wild Bill Trueshot", the Sheriff of Last Gasp.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Robb_K wrote:
Egg wrote:"Musty old place! Still just as it was in 1872!"
(which Barks story?)

AHA! It's from Walt Disney's Comics & Stories Nr. 176. The untitled story of "Wild Bill Trueshot", the Sheriff of Last Gasp.

Correct!

One of the stories in which childraiser Donald protests against modern times. The nephews and their TV tube, opposed to Donald, can also be seen in 'Lost Frontier' (WDC 246).
In an untitled story about a runaway locomotive, it's Donald who is wildly watching television. (WDC 195) In that story, the nephews are bothered by such mindless behaviour.

The story has some congruences with 'The Ghost of the Grotto' (OS 159) and 'King Scrooge the First' (US 71).
In 'King Scrooge the First', old Swami Khan Khan doesn't get older for a long time. In hiccup story it's Wild Bill Trueshot. Difference with 'The Ghost of the Grotto' is that the armored man gets replaced through the time.

Egg thinks the "Wild Bill Trueshot" story is a forgotten classic. It contains drawings reminding Egg of 'Back to the Klondike' (OS 456) and 'In Old California!' (OS 328). The story itself is exciting like an adventure, and Barks puts in some irony about people exaggerating and overrating the old times.

"I won't disturb them - YET! But wait till they STOP! Then I'll storm and rave like an old demon!"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:22 pm

That's from "Masters of Melody," the ten-pager in which Donald is trying to teach the Nephews to be great musicians. One of my favorites (I love the boys' frazzled German music teacher, and Donald's attempts to get to sleep with the boys' off-key rythms ringing in his ears).
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:08 pm

"I won't disturb them - YET! But wait till they STOP! Then I'll storm and rave like an old demon!"

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:That's from "Masters of Melody," the ten-pager in which Donald is trying to teach the Nephews to be great musicians. One of my favorites (I love the boys' frazzled German music teacher, and Donald's attempts to get to sleep with the boys' off-key rythms ringing in his ears).

Correct! WDC 85. Another story with Donald trying to educate the nephews.

"Hey! That's a lump of pure NICKEL around your neck! Where did you find it?"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Olivier » Tue May 01, 2007 11:03 am

"Land of the Peeweegahs" ?
(I'm not sure)
Olivier

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks