Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:39 pm

A very big hint: Barks did the script but not the artwork for this story.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:41 pm

Robb_K wrote:Being a Canuck (from Manitoba, no less) I know what "North of the MacKenzie" means (as my father took us up north to see the polar bears). But I already checked both Scrooge Klondike stories, as well as "Luck of The North", and couldn't find it. It rings a bell in my mind, but getting senile and even already now losing some long-term memory is no fun.

I've no idea what "North of the MacKenzie" is. Can you explain?

Robb_K wrote:I eat all the fish I can stand (every day) (I can't stands no more!). I'm going to kick myself when I hear the answer!

That's easy to say. You already know you will forget that promise. ;)

Bruce Lee wrote:Wow. Lobb can kick himself. me can do too. lets make a film with hollible synchlonisation voices and than we will save the plincess.

:)

Robb_K wrote:If THAT'S a clue, I'm totally lost.

I think it's just a joke. Otherwise I'm lost, too. :)

Robb_K wrote:It must be a '60s story, which I had, of course, less years to read over and over again, and read less, in any case, as the stories and artwork weren't as good as he earlier ones.

I protest! Barks grew as story-teller and artist. Only his basic ideas became a bit repetitive, with lots of deserts, etc. At the time of the retirement Woodchucks, his stories become richer because of the new approach, making the Woodchucks heroes of the stories. As a result, Scrooge could be a mean villain again, as side-character, like in the Donald Duck adventures of the late 1940s and early 1950s.

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"One side, everybody, for Donald Duck, LAW north of the Mackenzie!" (which Barks story?)

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Hint # 1 on the "Law north of the Mackenzie" quote:

"Wak! How did this BEAST get out of the cage?"

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Hint #2:
"The Upper Mackenzie! And I'm the guy that expected to fly go-go girls to Fiji!"

Pawns of the Loup Garou?
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:01 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:A very big hint: Barks did the script but not the artwork for this story.

I swear I did not see that spoiler when composing my message!

What a let-down. It's no hint but a give-away. Now anyone could have guessed the answer. Even Paralyzed Buffalo!
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:05 pm

"I've gotta have room to expand! Gasp!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:48 pm

Egg wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Being a Canuck (from Manitoba, no less) I know what "North of the MacKenzie" means (as my father took us up north to see the polar bears). But I already checked both Scrooge Klondike stories, as well as "Luck of The North", and couldn't find it. It rings a bell in my mind, but getting senile and even already now losing some long-term memory is no fun.

I've no idea what "North of the MacKenzie" is. Can you explain?

Robb_K wrote:I eat all the fish I can stand (every day) (I can't stands no more!). I'm going to kick myself when I hear the answer!

That's easy to say. You already know you will forget that promise. ;)

Bruce Lee wrote:Wow. Lobb can kick himself. me can do too. lets make a film with hollible synchlonisation voices and than we will save the plincess.

:)

Robb_K wrote:If THAT'S a clue, I'm totally lost.

I think it's just a joke. Otherwise I'm lost, too. :)

Robb_K wrote:It must be a '60s story, which I had, of course, less years to read over and over again, and read less, in any case, as the stories and artwork weren't as good as he earlier ones.

I protest! Barks grew as story-teller and artist. Only his basic ideas became a bit repetitive, with lots of deserts, etc. At the time of the retirement Woodchucks, his stories become richer because of the new approach, making the Woodchucks heroes of the stories. As a result, Scrooge could be a mean villain again, as side-character, like in the Donald Duck adventures of the late 1940s and early 1950s.

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"One side, everybody, for Donald Duck, LAW north of the Mackenzie!" (which Barks story?)

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Hint # 1 on the "Law north of the Mackenzie" quote:

"Wak! How did this BEAST get out of the cage?"

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Hint #2:
"The Upper Mackenzie! And I'm the guy that expected to fly go-go girls to Fiji!"

Pawns of the Loup Garou?

WAK! YES it IS "Pawns of The Loup Garou! Booooo! Hissssss! Using a story Barks wrote and Tony Strobl drew so horribly, that I couldn't even look at it!!! NO WONDER I couldn't remember a quotation from it!!! How low!!!

EGG: North of The MacKenzie refers to the wilderness north of The MacKenzie River in Canada's wild uncivilised Northwest Territories (District of MacKenzie). There are only a few Athabaskan Indian tribes and Inuits (and polar bears and caribou) up there.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:53 pm

Robb_K wrote:I'm going to kick myself when I hear the answer!
That's easy to say. You already know you will forget that promise.

Not to mention the fact that it's almost physically impossible to do!
Robb_K

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:30 pm

(which story?)

This is from the first Gladstone Gander story, spoken by Gladstone when he's trying (unsuccessfully) to drink the two gallons of lemonade.

Egg got the Pawns of the Loup Garou quote. Sorry if I upset old Robb K. by being so sneaky. Has there been any word of Jippes redrawing this tale? I always thought it had great eerie potential and would have been much better had Barks drawn the story himself.

"This little squirt sure has a lot of fruit baskets! He must be a big shot!" (which Barks story?)
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi Witchie. Daan has already drawn "Pawns of The Loup Garou". He did an okay job, not as good as a lot of his Woodchuck efforts. But, then, Barks' sketches were not very good as compared to a lot of his other '69-72 scripts. It was published in the Dutch Weekly. But, I don't know if it has been published in USA. Perhaps because I've only recently read it in Dutch, not in English (at least since Strobl's version in 1969), those English text lines you quoted didn't click with me.
Robb_K

Postby Stephan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:54 pm

(which story?)

I'm not sure, but it could be Gladstone full of lemonade in [url=WDCS088]http://www.cbarks.dk/Digital/luc195001.jpg[url].
Donald and Gladstone make yearly bets that neither of them are able to carry through.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Stephan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:58 pm

Um, sorry, Doctor Witchie, 24 minutes too late -(... My first guess was 'the tuckered tiger', in which Scrooge uses a steammachine to loose weight.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Stephan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:02 pm

"This little squirt sure has a lot of fruit baskets! He must be a big shot!" (which Barks story?)"

Ha! I know that one. 'Maharadjah Donald', a inspector looks at the nephews disguished as fruitbaskets and says the thing above.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Stephan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:06 pm

"Jumpin' Jacksnipes! What now!" (Which Barks-story?)
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Mon May 01, 2006 11:03 am

Stephan wrote:"Jumpin' Jacksnipes! What now!" (Which Barks-story?)

Well, that's easy. It's... er... er...
Grunt. Egg begins to get a bit annoyed by these stupid Barks quizes. What a waste of time they suddenly are.

"There's nothing holding me up now but my FIGHTING HEART!... Haw! Haw!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Mon May 01, 2006 3:16 pm

Stephan is quite right about Maharajah Donald. Thanks for the information on Pawns, Robb--it hasn't been published in the USA yet (Gladstone reprinted the Strobl-drawn version just before they shut down their comics, so maybe Gemstone feels it'd be redundant to print the Jippes version immediately).

And...Darn it! I'm not sure where the jumping jacksnipes or the fighting heart comes from!
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Wed May 03, 2006 12:32 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:And...Darn it! I'm not sure where the jumping jacksnipes or the fighting heart comes from!

Stephan is humiliating us in front of everyone to see. Revenge!

"But wait! There's a BETTER way to reform criminals - I'LL BE SMART, myself!"
(which story?)
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks