Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby little gnome » Tue May 30, 2006 5:33 pm

Robb_K wrote:Oho! U bent Jan Steen! Firstly, you need to buy a capital letter for your name. That will bring you a little more respect.

you're discriminating us. we little gnomes are too small to reach the uppercase. but we deserve respect. don't we. jan is our hero. jan is concerned with our small position. we can write his name without offending him. thanks, jan. respect.
little gnome

Postby Egg » Tue May 30, 2006 7:46 pm

"The idea of being such a SOFTIE!"

free hint: about a hi-fi and other luxury
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue May 30, 2006 9:43 pm

Is that from "The Golden Nugget Boat?"
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Tue May 30, 2006 11:09 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Is that from "The Golden Nugget Boat?"

No.

hint#1: "Now my orders are to free you horses and let you find your way home! Shoo! Scat!"
Egg

Postby jaen Stone » Wed May 31, 2006 10:24 am

Robb_K wrote:Oho! U bent Jan Steen! Firstly, you need to buy a capital letter for your name. That will bring you a little more respect.

---->in het Dutch: Ja, ik ben jan (bak)Steen bak was ik vergeten omdat ik niet weet wat baksteen in het engels is. En wil je dat andere wat je in het engels heb staan voor me vertalen???
ik hoor eigelijk John Brick te heten.
jaen Stone

Postby Robb_K » Wed May 31, 2006 12:26 pm

Sorry, Mr. Stone! I didn't connect jaen Stone with Jan Baksteen. I connected that with Jean Stone (a French(first) and English (last)name)-which could be translated in Dutch as: Jan Steen (beroemd Nederlander uit de Gouden Eeuw).

My comment regarding the capital letter needs no explanation. I didn't get your joke about not knowing much English and needing help. And furthermore, I can't figure out what that comment had to do with any other comment on this thread. I'll assume that there are others posting here that get your joke (I assume, based on previous comments you've made as Jan Baksteen).

I just don't understand the reason for, and don't get the humour in the use of alter ego memberships or guests. But, maybe that's why I'm having such a difficult time making a living as a comedy writer? I have no sense of humour. But then, I've never understood humans in any case, and never identified with them. They are extremely foreign to me.
Robb_K

Postby jaen Stone » Wed May 31, 2006 1:09 pm

De eerste drie regels zijn voor mij duidelijk, dat is niet zo erg, maar de rest kan ik weer niet lezen.
ik hoor eigelijk John Brick te heten.
jaen Stone

Postby Egg » Wed May 31, 2006 1:37 pm

Robb_K wrote:I just don't understand the reason for, and don't get the humour in the use of alter ego memberships or guests. But, maybe that's why I'm having such a difficult time making a living as a comedy writer? I have no sense of humour.

I think it has a lot to do with humour and creativity. Like a clown showing his inner feelings and emotions behind a mask. It's like an artist drawing animals to get closer to humans.

Another advantage is that the noise gives room to fresh insights and new subjects, as people can (almost) say everything. It's good for freedom of speech. (And that can be very irritating.)

Robb_K wrote:But then, I've never understood humans in any case, and never identified with them. They are extremely foreign to me.

For me too, that's why I like the roleplay. To keep a certain distance. People who are really interested in me, know how to find me anyway. (Or they can ask.)
Before McDuck, people found my contributions controversial and got very personal. So when joining McDuck I thought: "Not a second time." If people call me a fool, they can háve their fool. The customer is king. As long as I can discuss my interests and disinterests, it's fine with me.

Of course, as everything is done spontaneous, there are a lot of mistakes. For example when identities get mixed up. (My pet peeve.) Then it's no fun anymore.
Roleplay is at its best when multiple people are involved. Alas, on this English forum people seems to be a bit shy. Or maybe the roleplay simply doesn't work internationally. Then it will stop by itself.

For example: Where's Paralyzed Buffalo? I found him very funny.
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed May 31, 2006 2:00 pm

hint#1: "Now my orders are to free you horses and let you find your way home! Shoo! Scat!"

Hmmm...I really can't place this one. Another hint!
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Wed May 31, 2006 2:14 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Hmmm...I really can't place this one. Another hint!

It's: Do you have another hint for me please, Mr. Egg?

hint#2: "I guess they're not THIRSTY anymore!"
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed May 31, 2006 11:33 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie has to confess himself stumped on this one. I can't for the life of me figure out where it's from (must be one of the Barks ones I haven't read; there are a couple).
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:48 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Doctor Witchie Britchie has to confess himself stumped on this one. I can't for the life of me figure out where it's from (must be one of the Barks ones I haven't read; there are a couple).

hint#3: "Dashing! Sigh!" "Sigh!" "Sigh!" "Charming!" "Utterly godlike!"
Egg

Postby Egg » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:51 am

hint#3: "Dashing! Sigh!" "Sigh!" "Sigh!" "Charming!" "Utterly godlike!"

hint#4: "And here you've been boiling BORSCH all night!"
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:00 pm

Egg wrote:"And here you've been boiling BORSCH all night!"

This should be on the "Bad Side of Barks" thread! He misspelled "borscht"!!! Unforgiveable! :)
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:04 pm

I remember that "borsch" quote well. I must have read that story thousands of times (literally)! Yet, I can't place it! Believe me, growing old is NO FUN!!! I DO, however, remember the fume lines coming up from the cabbage in the pot Donald was stirring with the spoon (and The Nephews holding their noses against the stench).
Robb_K

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks