Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:41 pm

Egg wrote:"Get away from lock, iron doll! Me want out that door!"
(which story?)

That's from the hilarious Gyro story in which Gearloose encounters the South American witch doctor (I believe it's called "That Small Feeling").
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:53 pm

I made a post before this answering that question, and also answering that Barks didn't say exactly where Webfoot Tech was. But it has to be in USA. They didn't play American football in any other countries in the 1800s. I deduce that Webfoot Tech was in oregon, as Webfoot was a town in Oregon, per Barks' "The Gilded Man". Universities are often named after the city they are located in. The "iron doll" was Helper, who was just as big as Dr. Witchie Britchie, after he was shrunk.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:20 am

Robb_K wrote:[...] Barks didn't say exactly where Webfoot Tech was. But it has to be in USA. They didn't play American football in any other countries in the 1800s.

Egg knows little about American football. And it hurts to see how the players treat the poor egg-shaped ball. (shudder!)

Robb_K wrote:I deduce that Webfoot Tech was in oregon, as Webfoot was a town in Oregon, per Barks' "The Gilded Man".

Do you have a list of Barks locations?

Robb_K wrote:Universities are often named after the city they are located in.

Egg has to be critical. How much is often? Is "often" any proof?

Robb_K wrote:The "iron doll" was Helper, who was just as big as Dr. Witchie Britchie, after he was shrunk.

In 'That Small Feeling' (US 32) the witch doctor is unnamed. Only information is that he comes to Gyro "from far up Amazon River", and that when he wants to go to places he just says BOO. He has a voodoo doll and a desire to change looks of victims, by shrinking them. And judging from Gyro's thoughts in panel 2.6, he is old. ("What an old monster!")

Old Doctor Witchie Britchie is from 'The Great Wig Mystery' (US 52). He wears glasses and lives in the capital city of "the new nation of Kooko Coco". (9.2) He behaves like a witch doctor with good intentions.

Egg wonders how Barks got away with Britchie's comment that only one telephone of Kooko Coco has wires. "It's a hot line to the World Loan Bank!" (9.7) :)

New quote:
"That SPOT you saw on tv must have been this SHARK!"
Egg

Postby germund » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:31 pm

Egg wrote:That SPOT you saw on tv must have been this SHARK!"

WDC226 The Floating Island story.
germund

Postby germund » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:41 pm

New quote:
"LOOK! That pitiful figure looking on from the shadows!"
germund

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:21 am

"The Christmas Cha Cha"
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby germund » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:07 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"The Christmas Cha Cha"

Two in one - both fast and correct (of course)!
germund

Postby Egg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:14 pm

"Now let's get outa town before I cave in! These two lugs above are getting heavy!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:04 pm

"The Magic Hourglass"
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:01 pm

A misleading quote, to keep the Doctor away:
"A fine way to treat a man who has come all the way up here through the storm and cold!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:41 pm

Is that from the rival telegraph messengers ten-pager? After Donald has been thrown out of J. Morganbilt Giltwhiskers' mansion?
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:19 pm

"A fine way to treat a man who has come all the way up here through the storm and cold!"

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Is that from the rival telegraph messengers ten-pager? After Donald has been thrown out of J. Morganbilt Giltwhiskers' mansion?

Now it's clear to cluthcy Egg. Doctor Witchie Britchie uses witchcraft. And rule number 1 is: No witchcraft.

Egg hoped you would go for the postman story where Donald deliberately loses a letter. In the telegraph story there's no storm and cold at all.

Which is to say:
Yes, it's the rival telegraph messengers ten-pager. (WDC 90) Yes, it's after Donald has been thrown out of J. Morganbilt Giltwhiskers' mansion.

"Boys, we've made a pal! He LIKES that lettuce!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:25 am

Hmm...Dr. Witchie Britchie better go back to the cauldron and cook up some more magic...I mean, try to search his memory. He can't recall that line off the top of his head.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:15 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Hmm...Dr. Witchie Britchie better go back to the cauldron and cook up some more magic...I mean, try to search his memory. He can't recall that line off the top of his head.

Doctor Witchie Britchie (and others) could humbly ask Egg for hints. For example, if there's a helicopter in the story. And then the quizmaster says yes or no. Is that fun or boring?

"Boys, we've made a pal! He LIKES that lettuce!"

hint #1: "Maybe the stuff's still here! Anyway, here's the split rock!"
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:55 am

I know now! The ten-page story with Donald's "jewel polisher;" the one where the nephews make friends with a tortoise that has a treasure map carved on his shell.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks