Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Fri May 18, 2007 2:50 pm

The Cave of Emeralds story?
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Fri May 18, 2007 6:14 pm

"You will lose out on a MILLION-DOLLAR deal, sir! Which makes it just about as UNLUCKY to stay home!"
hint #1: "It makes me feel better to KICK something! Take that - and that!"
hint #2: "Donald, Dewey, Huey, Louie! You've got to come with me on a trip! I'm SCARED! I'm SCARED!"
hint #3: "It wouldn't have stormed last week or three days ago! It had to storm TODAY!"

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:The Cave of Emeralds story?

Yes! It's 'Two-way Luck', with the emeralds on Friday the 13th. (US 31)
Like 'The Witching Stick' (US 28) this one of the stories where Scrooge, like many succesful people, is superstitious.

"I can't find the cord! Can't see anything in this SMOKE!"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Fri May 18, 2007 8:26 pm

Bah! I thought it was that one, but when I looked that one over, I couldn't find those quotes. I guess I was distrracted.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Fri May 25, 2007 5:26 pm

No answer yet? And no questions for hints?

hint #1: "Well, a guy must expect some setbacks in any business!"
Egg

Postby Olivier » Fri May 25, 2007 8:14 pm

This one seems from a "master" stories; I suppose Donald is looking for the electric cord to plug the plug.
I cannot think of a story, though. The bakery one, perhaps-- something burning, hence the smoke, but I do not remember this.
Olivier

Postby Robb_K » Sat May 26, 2007 2:10 am

Was that from "Donald's Fix-it Shop"? -when Daisy's vacuum cleaner was running amuck?
Robb_K

Postby Olivier » Sat May 26, 2007 1:47 pm

Robb_K wrote:Was that from "Donald's Fix-it Shop"? -when Daisy's vacuum cleaner was running amuck?

It does not give out any smoke, as I recall; it just spurts out everything in pieces.

Oh, wait, I (think I) know!
Isn't it the one where Scrooge makes Donald manager of the Sagmore Springs Hotel and checks in in disguise? Donald lets the iron on some cloth, hence the smoke and the need to unplug something; the fire sprinklers eventually flood the whole hotel.
Incidentally, this story was referred to in a recent quiz (the lowest position down the ladder).
Olivier

Postby Robb_K » Sat May 26, 2007 6:41 pm

Olivier wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Was that from "Donald's Fix-it Shop"? -when Daisy's vacuum cleaner was running amuck?

It does not give out any smoke, as I recall; it just spurts out everything in pieces.

Oh, wait, I (think I) know!
Isn't it the one where Scrooge makes Donald manager of the Sagmore Springs Hotel and checks in in disguise? Donald lets the iron on some cloth, hence the smoke and the need to unplug something; the fire sprinklers eventually flood the whole hotel.
Incidentally, this story was referred to in a recent quiz (the lowest position down the ladder).

NO! The Sagmore Springs Hotel story is NOT the one with the smoke quotation. We need to come up with the actual answer from another unmentioned story.
Robb_K

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun May 27, 2007 4:03 pm

I think the quote is from the Fix-It Shop story; it comes earlier in the story when Donald is trying to repair an iron that won't get hot.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Sun May 27, 2007 11:10 pm

hint #1: "Well, a guy must expect some setbacks in any business!"

Robb_K and Doctor Witchie Britchie gave the correct answer. The quotes are from the fix-it shop story (WDC 161).

Olivier wrote:This one seems from a "master" stories; I suppose Donald is looking for the electric cord to plug the plug.
I cannot think of a story, though. The bakery one, perhaps-- something burning, hence the smoke, but I do not remember this.

The smoke comes from "The IRON! It burned through the wooden bench and dropped on the cement floor!" (5.4)

Egg isn't sure if the fix-it shop story is a "master" story. It's a story where Donald just claims to be a master after reading a book. As in the later salmon hatchery story.(WDC 192). In both cases he often fails.
The same for the bakery head man story (WDC 210), where Donald has been left in complete charge after "the owner was called suddenly to Tuleville". (2.7) Donald tells: "I got fired at the vinegar works! Now I'm head man HERE!" (2.5) According to this story, four hours is about as long as Donald "ever lasts on ANY job". "Poor Unca Donald! He just never seems to be able to make a SUCCESS of anything!" (1.5)

These examples are different from the master stories where Donald really is a master. A proven, successful master before failing in the end. As in for example the master rainmaker story (WDC 156) and the moving expert story (WDC 222).

"There must be some SCENERY to look at - if we dared take our eyes off the road!"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Olivier » Mon May 28, 2007 9:52 am

A semi-master story, then? I love this funny reliance on the book-- which also recalls that on movies in "Sheriff of Bullet Valley".

"There must be some SCENERY to look at - if we dared take our eyes off the road!"

For the sake of trying: "A Duck's-Eye View of Europe" ? (WDC&S 273, June 1963)
Donald finds behind his tourist group and tries to catch up with them.
Olivier

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Mon May 28, 2007 2:44 pm

Or is it from "Vacation Time?"
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Mon May 28, 2007 6:34 pm

NO! It's NOT from the driving scenes in "Vacation Time" nor is it from "A Duck's Eye View of Europe". I had already checked them after thinking that they might be.
Robb_K

Postby Olivier » Mon May 28, 2007 9:30 pm

Robb_K wrote:NO! It's NOT from the driving scenes in "Vacation Time" nor is it from "A Duck's Eye View of Europe". I had already checked them after thinking that they might be.

Funny, I thought of "Vacation Parade" too, in second position, but it turned out not to be. Interesting that we both had this false memory.

Once again, Egg's quotation sounds familiar and something we should immediately identify.
Olivier

Postby Olivier » Mon May 28, 2007 9:36 pm

I have just thought of something and am ashamed not to remember it; I ought to-- I used to-- remember Barks' stories a lot better; I have not been able to read the vast majority of them for too long.
It's an image: the ducks going fast over of one those-- I can't recall the name; those bridges you find in the Andes; they travel fast by different means. I think at one point they are in the mountains, possibly on mules or donkeys, and Donald explains he tied a hornet in a cage to the tail of each animal to spur it-- hence the crazy speed at such dizzying heights, and the quotation, from the nephews.

I cannot remember the story, though. There's a race, obviously, maybe with Gladstone.
How can I not remember?!
Olivier

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks