Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Egg » Tue May 01, 2007 12:44 pm

"Hey! That's a lump of pure NICKEL around your neck! Where did you find it?"

Olivier wrote:"Land of the Peeweegahs" ?
(I'm not sure)

Correct! (US 18)

"Have some berries, Donald!... What are you staring at?"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Egg » Wed May 02, 2007 3:10 pm

"Have some berries, Donald!... What are you staring at?"
(which Barks story?)
hint #1: "My girlish instinct tells me I might be AMBUSHED outside that doorway!"
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed May 02, 2007 4:31 pm

The Many Faces of Magica DeSpell?
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:The Many Faces of Magica DeSpell?

Correct! (US 48) As in 'Land of the Pygmy Indians', the story 'The Many Faces of Magica de Spell' contains a scene in which animals are used by humans for long-distance communication. In 'The Many Faces of Magica de Spell' it's a "bird telegraph".

"You - You - Well, you'll be the laughingstock of the town! You'll be JOKES!"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed May 02, 2007 11:28 pm

That's from the Think Boxes story, with Gyro Gearloose.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 am

Right! While Donald was pacing in front of The Nephews while they were on the davenport. He couldn't live down "his" kids joked about in the same way as that "Crackpot", Gyro Gearloose!
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Thu May 03, 2007 3:55 am

Barks Health & Medicine Quiz

Who suffered from "Blinkus of the Thinkus"? What are its symptoms? What story?

Who suffered from "Acute Ptomaine Ptosis of the Ptummy"? What are its symptoms? What story?

Who suffered from "Dyspepsia"? What story (stories)?

What two characters suffered from "Pyromania of the Piffledeck"? What is the normal treatment for such unfortunates? What is the cure? Who can perform the cure? What is his full title? What story?

Name a disease in which the treatment/cure is worse than the disease. What story?

What character suffered from "Hay Fever"? What story?

What character was thought to have had "Measles"?

Who had "Brain Fever"?

Which character (characters) had his (their) bio-physical transmogrification subjunctuated?

Who obtained a Doctorate Degree from the "School of Quackery"? What story?
Robb_K

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Thu May 03, 2007 6:25 pm

Scrooge suffered from Blinkus of the Thinkus, a mild form of amnesia, in Back to the Klondike.

Donald, Mr. Wormsley, Mr. Tombsbury, and Professor McArtifact all came down with Ptomaine Ptosis of the Ptummy in Lost in the Andes after eating the 1000+ year old square eggs.

J. Morganbilt Giltwhiskers suffered from dyspepsia in the telegraph boy ten-pager. Donald also was afflicted with it in the Super Snooper story.

Donald and Benzine Banzooy both suffered from Pyromania of the Piffledeck in the Firebug story. I can't remember the specifics of the cure or name of the doctor who offered to perform the cure on the final page, though.

The treatment/cure that is worse than the disease is the cure for Donald's nightmares in the nightmare ten-pager--he must be scared by something worse than anything in his dreams (which turns out to be the prospect of lecturing on lace doilies for Daisy's tatting club--more horrible than being eaten by lions, wolves, sharks, or men from Mars).

Scrooge suffered from hay fever caused by money allergy in one early ten-pager (the one where the old miser has to go live in a cave and Donald takes over his businesses), but I know I'm forgetting some other instance of hay fever in a Barks story.

Gladstone was (falsely) thought to have measles in the Easter Parade grand marshal story, due to a clever trick of Huey, Dewey, and Louie's.

I'm not sure of the answers to the last three questions; anyone else have any ideas?
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Olivier » Thu May 03, 2007 7:12 pm

Darn!
I was interrupted and then had to reboot.
Here are my answere anyway, so that I won't have typed them for nothing...

What a wonderful set a questions, Rob! Great theme & quotations.

Robb_K wrote:Who suffered from "Blinkus of the Thinkus"? What are its symptoms? What story?

This sounds very familiar, but right now I can't place it.

Robb_K wrote:Who suffered from "Acute Ptomaine Ptosis of the Ptummy"? What are its symptoms? What story?

This one sounds like something Eega Beeva might have said. ;)

Robb_K wrote:Who suffered from "Dyspepsia"? What story (stories)?

Ah, one I can answer: Donald, in the "Super Duper" story.
And in another story? Can't remember.

Robb_K wrote:Name a disease in which the treatment/cure is worse than the disease. What story?

Easy: the "nightmare story", where the cure consists in scaring Donald more than his nightmares do.

Robb_K wrote:What character suffered from "Hay Fever"? What story?

Uncle Scrooge: "Billions to Sneeze At"; he suffers from some sort of money hay fever, doesn't he?

Robb_K wrote:What character was thought to have had "Measles"?

Gladstone, after spraying himself with the supposed perfume sent to him by his many fans, just before the election of the leader (Grand Marshall?) of the Easter Parade-- referred to by Egg a few days ago.

Robb_K wrote:Who had "Brain Fever"?

Donald! This turned him into "The Mad Chemist".

Robb_K wrote:Which character (characters) had his (their) bio-physical transmogrification subjunctuated?

No idea, but I love the phrase.
Somehow, I think this is part of a scam-- not something that an "actual" doctor said.

Robb_K wrote:Who obtained a Doctorate Degree from the "School of Quackery"? What story?

This, too, sounds familiar.
Olivier

Postby Robb_K » Fri May 04, 2007 3:10 am

Dr. WB: Correct on ALL counts!!! Good job!

Olivier: Of course you would have gotten several of those that Dr. WB got correct, correct. And, you are correct on Donald having Brain Fever in "The Mad Chemist".

As far as I can tell, NO scam was involved in the subjunctuation of the bio-physical transmogrification. It was real, all right.
Robb_K

Postby Olivier » Fri May 04, 2007 10:51 am

School of Quakery: I remember this diploma, but this could be in any story with a doctor. Any hint, please?

Transmogrification: thank you for the answer; I thought it might be a bogus diagnostic by a quack.
Olivier

Postby Egg » Fri May 04, 2007 11:36 am

"You - You - Well, you'll be the laughingstock of the town! You'll be JOKES!"

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:That's from the Think Boxes story, with Gyro Gearloose.

Correct.

"Wak! An uncouth, unsightly sign that mars the beauties of nature!"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Fri May 04, 2007 3:26 pm

That's from the echo ten-pager--Donald is referring to the "Depozit ten cents for echo" sign that the nephews have put up.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Sat May 05, 2007 8:10 pm

"Wak! An uncouth, unsightly sign that mars the beauties of nature!"

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:That's from the echo ten-pager--Donald is referring to the "Depozit ten cents for echo" sign that the nephews have put up.

Correct again.

"Turn your head a little more to the left, sonny boy!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun May 06, 2007 11:35 am

"Turn your head a little more to the left, sonny boy!"
(which story?)
hint #1: "How are we going to HIDE around here? The brush is too thin!"
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks