Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Egg » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:08 am

Robb_K wrote:"Who Threw The Overshoes In Mrs. O'Leary's Hash?" - What story is this from, - and what part does it play in that story? What actual historical person does it make fun of?

Has nobody answered this? This quote comes from the tenpager where Donald has a musical ambition to get a tv station audition, contains references to several songs. (WDC 165)
Donald sings: "Who threw the overshoes in Missus Leary's hash?" (5.4)

Is there a connection between Donald's "Missus Leary" and the "Mrs. (O')Leary" of Chicago? As a European, I'm uncertain whether Robb_K and Ramapith differ or agree about this point.

I've tried to summarize information at 'Expressions in Barks stories':
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopi ... 1740#p1740
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopi ... 1741#p1741

Robb_K wrote:"Oh bury me thar.... with my battered guitar...." - What song is this? What is its next line? What story?

The quotes from the tenpager in which Donald has sold a song, titled "The Screaming Cowboy". (WDC 137)
The song is written by Donald Duck and, according to Donald, performed on record by a jug band. (7.4)

The lyrics as shown in panel 1.5 are:
Oh, bury me thar
with my battered git-tar
a-screamin' my heart out fer yew!

Robb_K wrote:What real 1936 record on Okeh Records was Barks' inspiration (over and above making fun of wailing cowboy singers in general)?

According to a December 19, 2000 e-mail to DCML, the inspiration for The Screaming Cowboy may have been more immediate.
- - - - - - - -
At the time the story was written (early 1951), it would have been nearly impossible to avoid exposure to the popular yodeling style of Hank Williams. His recent #1 hits- Lovesick Blues (March 1949), Lone Gone Lonesome Blues (March 1950), and Moanin’ the Blues (November 1950) no doubt elicited a mixed reaction from the general radio audience, and could have been the stimuli for this creative response of Carl Barks.
- - - - - - - -

The Carl Barks Library mentions:
"There has probably been no time in post-World War II history that the cowboy has enjoyed more media popularity than during the early fifties. Cowboy comic books and movies abounded, as did country and western music."

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Egg on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:26 am

Back to the quote quiz:
"I can't go on! I'll have to go back and admit I'm a big humbug!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:24 am

Egg wrote:Back to the quote quiz:
(which story?)

The Codfish Cove ten-pager, in which Donald has to deliver the serum after bragging he's the world's greatest skier?
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:07 am

Egg: I'm SURE that Barks' use of Ms. "Leary" was actually meant to be a hick's (bumpkin's) way of saying O'Leary (" -- 'Leary) in which the O isn't sounded.

True that the recent late '40s -very early '50s " Singing Cowboy Craze" was a lot of the inspiration for the "Screaming Cowboy", but I also know that Barks also heard the earlier Country-Western music. In 1936 There was a release on Okeh Records titled "The Crying Cowboy", backed with {"The Laughing Cowboy" on the flip side. It was a big hit, as a parody making fun of of Cowboy singers. One side was exaggerated crying (mostly crying and wailing. The other side was mostly laughing.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:29 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:
Egg wrote:Back to the quote quiz:
(which story?)

The Codfish Cove ten-pager, in which Donald has to deliver the serum after bragging he's the world's greatest skier?

Yes. WDC 114.

"I guess I was an old fool to ever expect it'd be here waiting for me to pick it up!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Egg » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:44 am

"I guess I was an old fool to ever expect it'd be here waiting for me to pick it up!"

hint #1: "Let me go! I must stop that duck!"
Egg

Postby Egg » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:47 pm

Is the Doctor still alive? Har! Har!

hint #1: "Let me go! I must stop that duck!"
hint #2: "The questions people ask! I'll look it up!"
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:21 pm

The Doctor is back! I have it now! "The Fabulous Philosopher's Stone"
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:16 pm

"Look at the mud boil up! Boy! He's having a fight down there!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Egg » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:18 pm

"Look at the mud boil up! Boy! He's having a fight down there!"
(which story?)
hint #1: "Hop in, infants! We're going out to cousin Gus's tule bog!"
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:52 pm

Egg wrote:"Look at the mud boil up! Boy! He's having a fight down there!"
(which story?)
hint #1: "Hop in, infants! We're going out to cousin Gus's tule bog!"

hint #2: "Take it easy, unca Donald! Your heart is beating like a pile driver!"
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:07 pm

That is from the 10-pager in WDC & S #108, in which Donald is trying to catch a frog, so he can have an inexpensive meal of frogs legs.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:15 pm

"Unca Donald, HOW could anyone SEARCH this country? We could be fifty feet from a CITY, and never know it!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:09 pm

Egg wrote:"Unca Donald, HOW could anyone SEARCH this country? We could be fifty feet from a CITY, and never know it!"
(which story?)

"Mystery of the Swamp"-1944 Donald Duck story in which Donald and his nephews found The Gneezles in Florida's Everglades.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:43 pm

Robb_K wrote:"Mystery of the Swamp"-1944 Donald Duck story in which Donald and his nephews found The Gneezles in Florida's Everglades.

No. (har har!)

"Unca Donald, HOW could anyone SEARCH this country? We could be fifty feet from a CITY, and never know it!"

hint#1: "Yeah! He's TAME as a kitten!"
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks