Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:39 pm

And, so now I find out that this is nothing but a cruel April Fools (1 April) joke!!! That is the most cruel one can be to a serious Barks fan! To tell him that lost Barks classic period pages have been found, and to take that away again! I'm 59 years old! I might have had a heart attack, or even died! Were you prepared to live with that, Mr. Joker!
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:44 pm

Such a dastardly act is almost worse than kicking old ladies in the street! You have no scruples! Be on guard Mr. Ei! If I were one with such a soft shell, I wouldn't go around crossing others! You might find yourself at the bottom of Humpty Dumpty's wall, without even having the incompetent King's Men to try to put you back together. And don't bother to hope The King's Horses can help you! They don't have enough dexterity (especially because of the clumsy hooves on their feet!)
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:51 am

Robb_K wrote:And, so now I find out that this is nothing but a cruel April Fools (1 April) joke!!! That is the most cruel one can be to a serious Barks fan! To tell him that lost Barks classic period pages have been found, and to take that away again! I'm 59 years old! I might have had a heart attack, or even died! Were you prepared to live with that, Mr. Joker!

What? Is it an April Fools gag??? :D
Egg was just about to include Admiral Quackenfuzz as well, returning from the island of Tuku Tiva. :P

Egg only reused this cruel old Dutch joke of telling a Barks fan that the golden apples are found. Then, in 1991, eight pages were discovered out of ten, and they would have been published by Gladstone within a few weeks, with added material to make up for what was still missing.

Is it really so cruel? Egg tried to soften it. Didn't people expect something rotten when Egg reported the decision that the Holy Barks Golden Apples Grail would remain unpublished because Jippes already made some story about golden apples? :D
And the account that people would need to get a complete, expensive, limited Dutch Barks Library to get the long-lost gem, as it would remain unpublished everywhere else? :D

Egg wrote:The story will be exclusively published in a very expensive, heavy, limited edition Dutch collection. Egg thinks this grapevine news is hardly interesting for foreigners anyway, as the weight of the CBL-like collection makes it's practically impossible for foreigners to order it by post.

Egg hoped there would at least be a chance to get suspicious about The Netherlands somehow having the *exclusive* right to keep the American story for themselves. Wasn't that odd? :P

You were right about the plot description being ridiculous, with even Goldie being included and such. Egg expected Gyro's long scientific explanation about weight of gold, and the Silver Pears festival end gag to be over the top for *any* golden apples story. :D

Come on, please Robb, you had a chance. Egg isn't cruel. Egg hoped you would laugh.
Are you laughing now?

Soft shell Egg is rapidly rolling away, just to be certain. 59 years is not that old.
How old is Rocky nowadays? ;)
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:42 am

Although I admit the plot sounded too ridiculous and non-Barksish, it is not unlike the non-Barksish plots of Geoffry Blum. THAT clue was NOT a clue once you stated that you couldn't remember if that plot was the "rescued" Barks story plot, or if it was the Blum plot. I assumed it had to be the Blum plot. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Blum have such a wild plot. He refused to let me e-mail him my description of the additional Barks references to the story which weren't in any published document. He admitted that his story would not be a reconstitution of the Barks story, but a completely new story with just a small inspiration by some of Barks' memories of his plot.

I couldn't laugh unless I got the joke. I didn't have any idea it was a joke, as I'd forgotten what date it is, today. (59 IS OLD, at least when it comes to memory). LOTS of men get heartattacks by age 59 (especially nowadays, that they eat like pigs, and get little exercise.

But, the main thing is: Barks pages are SACRED to the serious Barks worshipers (like me). One doesn't joke about new discoveries of "lost" Barks pages. The unbelievably great highs of anticipation which result from such news , ripped away from the Barks fan, produce an unbelievable low. It may be too much to bear. I don't even know how I'll have the strength to recover, and carry on my life. It will take an immense effort.

Be careful with your use of so-called "humour"!

In addition, Sanoma's getting hold of the original colouring photocopies and having "exclusive rights" to them is NOT out of the question. Oberon published several Barks previously unpublished stories, which were not published in USA or any other country for years afterward ("Milkman Story)"Silent Night", as well as formerly banned in US stories (banned from reprinting) "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb". They obtained the photocopies of those stories' storyboards from collectors (NOT from Disney affiliates). So, they could have obtained thes "colouring book" photocopies at their own cost, from the private owners, and pay for them to be "restored", thereby, NOT be beholden to other Disney franchises, to give copies of them in the short run. IF they were to make them a major selling point of their Barks series, they could well have the rest of Disney agree that they can't obtain copies of that story for a few years. So, it was NOT so obvious that this was a joke.

I must admit, however, that it is a terrific idea for a thriller novel (as I elaborated on on The Dutch Forum).

A Barks knowledgeable comic book dealer obtains the photocopies from the family (inheritors) of the Western Pub. worker who made the photocopies. He auctions them on E-Bay. The winner brags that he is the ONLY person in The World who cn look at the wondrous pages of that great Barks story. He rubs it in to the entire Disney collecting World. Insiders know him well (as all the big collectors know who the other players are). A jealous fellow collector (a very sick person-as several of the big collectors in ANY field are), tracks down information on the winning bidder. He watches his lifestyle. Eventually he murders the owner, and steals the story.

THEN, having such wonderful original artwork pages makes him even greedier. He starts murdering ALL the big Disney art collectors, and stealing their artwork. But, in the end, he gets too greedy and makes a big mistake, and is caught. But before he is taken, he burns all the artwork so no one else can enjoy it, if he can't possess it.

It's a grizzly tale - but so very true to life (known especially by people who have spent enough time in collectors' circles).

Now, please don't get me wrong. This is related to my instincts as a writer. I don't mean to imply that ALL, most, or even a significant portion of Disney (or any) art collectors would stoop to such activity. But we all know that there are some (even one is too many) collectors out there, who absolutely HAVE to have that missing art, and would let NOTHING stop them from possessing it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! It's MINE!! ALL MINE!! AND NO ONE ELSE CAN SEE IT!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Robb_K

Postby Barko » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:54 am

I suspected It was a joke, because I had just been on two other Disney fan sites who (of course) also had april 1 jokes (yawn).
Rob: I hope one day it will be possible to read your Golden Apples story - maybe you could post it here? (it would certainly attract attention to McDrake)
Egg: Barko wonders why Egg always refer to himself in the third person. Would Egg please inform Barko why this is so...;)
Barko

Postby Robb_K » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:43 am

I don't know if I'll have time to upload it, Barko, I'll be too busy over the next three years, writing my dark novel about the murderous Disney comics collector! Nyeh! Nyeh! Nyeh! Were you able to see the page I uploaded above?

Barko. You live in Danmark, no? Where do you live? I'll be in Jylland from 18-24 or 25 June, and Sjaelland from 24 or 25 June - 1 July. Perhaps we can meet. A.C. Sivebaek and I will be meeting with Ole Reichstein Nielsen, Søren Krarup Olesen and I hope others (Ole Damgaard, and others) in Jylland, and Neils Houlberg Hansen, Mads Jensen and others in Sjaelland, and probably also meet with a few Swedes in Malmö. Perhaps you can meet up with us. I'll be staying in Ålborg, Hadsund, Holte and Allerød (and, possibly Malmö). If I can find the pages, I'll bring them with me. It will be interesting to compare with Geoff Blum's published 14 page story.

Were you able to read the page I uploaded above? I'm not sure if my Photobucket account allows other people to see my uploaded scns any more.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:13 pm

Robb_K wrote:I wouldn't have been surprised to see Blum have such a wild plot. He refused to let me e-mail him my description of the additional Barks references to the story which weren't in any published document. He admitted that his story would not be a reconstitution of the Barks story, but a completely new story with just a small inspiration by some of Barks' memories of his plot.

Egg hoped you would have seen the Jippes/Blum-version already, or conclude that the plot would be too ridiculous anyhow. Egg hoped to give something that would be too wild for even a completely new story. So, the fact that Egg failed makes Egg wonder what to expect from new stories, if Egg's scrambled plot already sounds to be saleable in some way.

Could you post your description of the additional Barks references you have? We could have a golden apples topic. It would be interesting for Barks fans to read additional clues about how the real golden apples tenpager could have been.

Robb_K wrote:But, the main thing is: Barks pages are SACRED to the serious Barks worshipers (like me). One doesn't joke about new discoveries of "lost" Barks pages. The unbelievably great highs of anticipation which result from such news , ripped away from the Barks fan, produce an unbelievable low. It may be too much to bear. I don't even know how I'll have the strength to recover, and carry on my life. It will take an immense effort.

Be careful with your use of so-called "humour"!

Would it have been a little bearable if Egg would have told an account about the golden apples pages being found and then accidently entirely being washed white during the restoration process, because of a Donald-like engineer sleeping on the job?
Or the pages being found and then stolen by some Duckburg mafia asking much more money than any editors want to pay, after which the thieves threat to put a film on YouTube showing the burning of the pages, one by one? Unless fans bid millions of money a page? :O

A wise Dr. Egg lesson from this would be to never just believe any people claiming to have the pages, without any proof. You could have send all your money savings to an unknown person, just to receive a note with "April Fools Day" written on it.
So, thanks to Egg you still have your savings. And thanks to the trauma resulting from the shock treatment, you won't ever forget this trick anymore, despite amnesia. A lot of old people get fooled. Egg is trying to prepare them for that. :D

Robb_K wrote:In addition, Sanoma's getting hold of the original colouring photocopies and having "exclusive rights" to them is NOT out of the question. Oberon published several Barks previously unpublished stories, which were not published in USA or any other country for years afterward ("Milkman Story)"Silent Night", as well as formerly banned in US stories (banned from reprinting) "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb". They obtained the photocopies of those stories' storyboards from collectors (NOT from Disney affiliates). So, they could have obtained thes "colouring book" photocopies at their own cost, from the private owners, and pay for them to be "restored", thereby, NOT be beholden to other Disney franchises, to give copies of them in the short run. IF they were to make them a major selling point of their Barks series, they could well have the rest of Disney agree that they can't obtain copies of that story for a few years. So, it was NOT so obvious that this was a joke.

Egg didn't think of that. Egg just wanted to have fun with limited editions in general, by making this particular limited edition extremely limited, extremely expensive and extremely wanted.

Robb_K wrote:I must admit, however, that it is a terrific idea for a thriller novel (as I elaborated on on The Dutch Forum).

We could have a thriller topic here. Would 'Alice Potter and Da Golden Apples Code' be an interesting title for bestseller novel?
Billions of fans would visit McDrake, following the thriller. They get excited, curious, charmed and addicted. And then... AND THEN... they have to buy the book to read the ending. ;)
But only ONE copy exists, for the highest bidder. :D

Robb_K wrote:Now, please don't get me wrong. This is related to my instincts as a writer. I don't mean to imply that ALL, most, or even a significant portion of Disney (or any) art collectors would stoop to such activity. But we all know that there are some (even one is too many) collectors out there, who absolutely HAVE to have that missing art, and would let NOTHING stop them from possessing it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! It's MINE!! ALL MINE!! AND NO ONE ELSE CAN SEE IT!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Egg knows for sure that no one has the real golden apples story, as Egg has deliberately destroyed all the pages. Without reading them. Egg believes it's better that no one ever reads the story. It should remain a mystery for us all. To give us Barks fans something missing, to forever dream about. :D
Egg

Postby Barko » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:45 am

Robb_K wrote:I don't know if I'll have time to upload it, Barko, I'll be too busy over the next three years, writing my dark novel about the murderous Disney comics collector! Nyeh! Nyeh! Nyeh! Were you able to see the page I uploaded above?

Barko. You live in Danmark, no? Where do you live? I'll be in Jylland from 18-24 or 25 June, and Sjaelland from 24 or 25 June - 1 July. Perhaps we can meet. A.C. Sivebaek and I will be meeting with Ole Reichstein Nielsen, Søren Krarup Olesen and I hope others (Ole Damgaard, and others) in Jylland, and Neils Houlberg Hansen, Mads Jensen and others in Sjaelland, and probably also meet with a few Swedes in Malmö. Perhaps you can meet up with us. I'll be staying in Ålborg, Hadsund, Holte and Allerød (and, possibly Malmö). If I can find the pages, I'll bring them with me. It will be interesting to compare with Geoff Blum's published 14 page story.

Were you able to read the page I uploaded above? I'm not sure if my Photobucket account allows other people to see my uploaded scns any more.

Rob, your memory is failing you! You and AC stayed at my place in Copenhagen last summer (and you and AC are welcome to stay with me again). I had just returned home from a hospital stay due to a wrist accident. You even made me a drawing of Donald playing snooker. Is your memory coming back now? :). I hope very much we will meet again this year!
It would be nice if you could bring the drawings! Then I will make some photocopies of the story, if I may. Yes, I was able to see the uploaded page of yours. I compared it to Rosa´s. I found a big difference: You still have the original shapes of the balloons. The ones done by Rosa has been altered! The same goes for the text. Rosa has changed the number of words on each text line in several balloons, compared to yours!...
Barko

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:05 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Robb is right; the story in question is "The Master Wrecker." Sorry for being late with confirmation.

Recently in a newspaper, I read a real-life account of the wrong building being wrecked, because of an address mix-up. The people inside had to run for their lives.

Barko wrote:Egg: Barko wonders why Egg always refer to himself in the third person. Would Egg please inform Barko why this is so...;)

Now you say... This is a mystery to Egg, too. Maybe Egg is glad, maybe Egg is sad, maybe Egg is just a little MAD! :)

"Ladies and gentlemen! Won't SOMEBODY stop and listen to what I have to say?"
(which Barks story?)
hint #1: "Nobody's home, and the door is unlocked!"
Egg

Postby Barko » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:21 am

Rob, I mixed up your Golden Apples page with your three pages of The Pied Piper story in my post! It was of course your Pied Piper story that I compared to Rosa´s version. Sorry...
Barko

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:23 am

Barko wrote:
Robb_K wrote:I don't know if I'll have time to upload it, Barko, I'll be too busy over the next three years, writing my dark novel about the murderous Disney comics collector! Nyeh! Nyeh! Nyeh! Were you able to see the page I uploaded above?

Rob, your memory is failing you! You and AC stayed at my place in Copenhagen last summer (and you and AC are welcome to stay with me again). I had just returned home from a hospital stay due to a wrist accident. You even made me a drawing of Donald playing snooker. Is your memory coming back now? :). I hope very much we will meet again this year!
It would be nice if you could bring the drawings! Then I will make some photocopies of the story, if I may. Yes, I was able to see the uploaded page of yours. I compared it to Rosa´s. I found a big difference: You still have the original shapes of the balloons. The ones done by Rosa has been altered! The same goes for the text. Rosa has changed the number of words on each text line in several balloons, compared to yours!...

Hej, Barko! Of course I know you, my friend! I just forgot you had chosen "Barko" as your Disney forum monniker! Advanced age, you know! Yes, we will see you again. I will try to find the story pages. They've been misplaced now, but I sent scans of them to many other people, and, at the very worst, I can alsways get copies from Daan (if he still has them!).
Robb_K

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:30 pm

Egg wrote:
Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Robb is right; the story in question is "The Master Wrecker." Sorry for being late with confirmation.

Recently in a newspaper, I read a real-life account of the wrong building being wrecked, because of an address mix-up. The people inside had to run for their lives.

Barko wrote:Egg: Barko wonders why Egg always refer to himself in the third person. Would Egg please inform Barko why this is so...;)

Now you say... This is a mystery to Egg, too. Maybe Egg is glad, maybe Egg is sad, maybe Egg is just a little MAD! :)

"Ladies and gentlemen! Won't SOMEBODY stop and listen to what I have to say?"
(which Barks story?)

I have it now! The four-page story in which Scrooge is running for city treasurer (I think) and accidentally wins popularity through hiding some of his money in Donald's tuba.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:35 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:
Egg wrote:"Ladies and gentlemen! Won't SOMEBODY stop and listen to what I have to say?"
(which Barks story?)

I have it now! The four-page story in which Scrooge is running for city treasurer (I think) and accidentally wins popularity through hiding some of his money in Donald's tuba.

Yes. Scrooge is running for office, as candidate for city treasurer.
http://coa.inducks.org/coa/c1/story.php/0/W+US++++8-03

Interesting to see that Donald plays a music instrument, as in the tv station audition ambition story.
http://coa.inducks.org/coa/c1/story.php/0/W+WDC+165-01
Are there more Barks stories in which Donald plays music?

New quote:
"How much wages do you expect for such UNPLEASANT labor?"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Egg » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:19 pm

"How much wages do you expect for such UNPLEASANT labor?"
hint 1: "Uh, oh! Got to buy a new car!"
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:09 am

Egg wrote:"How much wages do you expect for such UNPLEASANT labor?"
hint 1: "Uh, oh! Got to buy a new car!"

WDC 144-the story in which Donald & Nephews Tour Calisota trying to spend Scrooge's extra money. So his money bin won't break. Donald was asking Scrooge how much he'd pay them to travel around spending his money.

A bug spot got on the window of Uncle Scrooge's Limousine that Donald bought. So he wanted to buy another one.
Robb_K

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks