Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Robb_K » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:38 am

Egg wrote:
Robb_K wrote:1) Who could walk on water? (I'm not a Christian, so no religious reference here!) What Barks story? Were there any others in other Barks stories?

Gyro Gearloose? In one story he stiffens the water in his swimming pool.
Or maybe Donald Duck in 'Back to the Klondike'? Is he running fast over just water there?

"Keep ringin', bud! There's nobody home!"
(which Barks story?)

That's Donald's answer from out of his periscope, to a salesman ringing his doorbell in Walt Disney's Comics & Stories Nr. 83, in which Donald continually by salesmen.

Egg: Gyro didn't walk on his "gelatin water" (which was, by definition, water NO LONGER)! However, you ARE correct that Donald ran on water in "Back To The Klondike".

But which Barks NON-Duck character also ran on water?
Robb_K

Postby Olivier » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:11 am

Hi everyone!
I thought my first message here might as well be in the Quiz section, since I had a lot of good time playing your quiz game on the DCML, Daniël. naturally, I am also looking forward to such interesting discussions as we have enjoyed on the DCML.

Robb_K wrote:5) What were Mr. Drip's first 2 initials?

I believe it is O.U. Drip-- I cannot remember what story he appears in, though.
Olivier

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:00 pm

The telegraph boy in "Lost Beneath the Sea" has a pair of inflatable shoes that enable him to walk on water.

Argus McFiendy is the evil butterfly collector from "Darkest Africa."
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Olivier wrote:Hi everyone!
I thought my first message here might as well be in the Quiz section, since I had a lot of good time playing your quiz game on the DCML, Daniël. naturally, I am also looking forward to such interesting discussions as we have enjoyed on the DCML.

Robb_K wrote:5) What were Mr. Drip's first 2 initials?

I believe it is O.U. Drip-- I cannot remember what story he appears in, though.

Correct, Olivier! Thanks for dropping by! It was used in an US 1 page gag. Even Barks wouldn't remember which comic book it was printed in!
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:30 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:The telegraph boy in "Lost Beneath the Sea" has a pair of inflatable shoes that enable him to walk on water.

Argus McFiendy is the evil butterfly collector from "Darkest Africa."

Correct on McFiendy!

Okay on the telegraph boy. But there was at least one other non-Duck character who walked on water. Who was it, and what story?
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:04 pm

Robb_K wrote:
"Keep ringin', bud! There's nobody home!"
(which Barks story?)

That's Donald's answer from out of his periscope, to a salesman ringing his doorbell in Walt Disney's Comics & Stories Nr. 83, in which Donald continually by salesmen.

Correct!

Olivier wrote:Hi everyone!

Welcome, Olivier! Daniel73 has hired Egg to be his secretary for most discussions. Hope you don't mind. Since Daniel has become maintainer here, he feels too important to discuss with his fans. The golden helmet has sunk over his eyes. You're lucky that Egg is still normal. (blingbling!)

What interesting discussion shall we have? Egg would like to work on an "scientific" overview of historical "facts" in Barks's work, for example the Eastern family-line that Scrooge has according to 'King Scrooge the First' (US 71). Egg is interested in exploring what seems to be overlooked by others.
Also, Egg would like to discuss Barks's work methods. In some interviews and letters, Barks has revealed some lessons in making a good story. Egg thinks it would be nice to compile some manual in how to make a Barksian story.
(Just a few examples for discussions.)

"You can't run as fast as we can in this soft snow, so what're you goin' to do?"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Olivier » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:29 pm

I have seen some of these discussions here, indeed. Great idea, and a good complement to the Guidebook to the Carl Barks universe.

Egg wrote:"You can't run as fast as we can in this soft snow, so what're you goin' to do?"
(which Barks story?)

Oh, I know, I know!
"Truant Officer Donald", WDC&S # 100, January 1949.

Donald then disappears and hides to catch his nephews. :)

Here's one:

"Don't! Don't make me walk the plank! Let me go back to Burbank!"
Olivier

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:44 pm

Olivier wrote:I have seen some of these discussions here, indeed. Great idea, and a good complement to the Guidebook to the Carl Barks universe.

Egg wrote:"You can't run as fast as we can in this soft snow, so what're you goin' to do?"
(which Barks story?)

Oh, I know, I know!
"Truant Officer Donald", WDC&S # 100, January 1949.

Donald then disappears and hides to catch his nephews. :)

Here's one:

"Don't! Don't make me walk the plank! Let me go back to Burbank!"

I knew the answer to the Truant officer story question above. It's from one of my favourite 10-pagers.

The walking the plank quote is from a nightmare Donald was having in Walt Disney's Comics and Stories Nr. 101. He then is pushed(falls) into shark-infested waters.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:45 pm

What about my other questions above?
Robb_K

Postby Olivier » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:32 pm

Correct, Robb. I was hoping the "walk the plank" thing would throw off a few guessers a bit.

As for your other quizes, I only have vague ideas...

>>>> 2) Who ate buckshot? What story?

This might be in "Maharajah Donald" or "The Tuckered Tiger", but somehow I doubt it.

>>>> 6) Who was Trigger Trueshot? What story?

This must be the hero of a Western movie, possibly one Donald refers to in "Sheriff of Nugget Valley".
Incidentally, I cannot remember the name of the hiccuping sheriff.

>>>> 8) What is the name of the lighthouse Donald and his nephews lived in?

I'm trying to recall this. The title of the story is "Northeaster on Cape Quack", isn't it?
Olivier

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:37 pm

3) What literary character was "Wonderhead son of Tica", making a parody of?

"Thunderhead, Son of Flicka"--the movie poster in the Barks story also parodies the stars of "Thunderhead"--Heston Froster (Preston Foster) and Rooney McHowl (Roddy McDowell).
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Barko » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:3) What literary character was "Wonderhead son of Tica", making a parody of?

"Thunderhead, Son of Flicka"--the movie poster in the Barks story also parodies the stars of "Thunderhead"--Heston Froster (Preston Foster) and Rooney McHowl (Roddy McDowell).

Which Barks story is that from?
Barko

Postby Egg » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Robb_K wrote:7) Who was Baron De Sleezy? What story?

Is he Donald's competitor in the moonrace story? The story in which Donald sells newspapers?

"Slow down, you glamourized coyote! I haven't time to follow you all day!"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Barko » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:09 pm

Egg wrote:

Is he Donald's competitor in the moonrace story? The story in which Donald sells newspapers?

I´m quite sure that must be the one...
Barko

Postby Robb_K » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:02 am

Egg wrote:

"Slow down, you glamourized coyote! I haven't time to follow you all day!"
(which Barks story?)

Yes, Egg. You are correct.
Robb_K

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks