Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:10 am

Your not being able to fix your error and your having to ask the host (yourself in any case) to edit out your error brings up my pet peeve about this otherwise high-quality forum. It's absurd that we can't have a 10-minute window to fix errors that we see. If you're so worried about posters going back to old posts and "changing history", then give us the 10 minute window to change errors, and BAN posters who change the MEANING their old posts. I want to change typos and unintended mental errors, not the original intent of my old posts.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:13 am

Egg wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Who was "Trigger Trueshot"?,

and the other character that could walk or run on water.

Does the latter character, that could walk or run on water, have a name?

Robb_K wrote:Who ate buckshot (and why?)

What is "buckshot"? Does it have a relation with a shotgun, as Wikipedia says?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckshot

The non-Duck character that ran on water had a name in the Barks story.

Buckshot IS the ammunition for a shotgun. Who ate it? Why? What story?
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:35 am

Robb_K wrote:Your not being able to fix your error and your having to ask the host (yourself in any case) to edit out your error brings up my pet peeve about this otherwise high-quality forum. It's absurd that we can't have a 10-minute window to fix errors that we see. If you're so worried about posters going back to old posts and "changing history", then give us the 10 minute window to change errors, and BAN posters who change the MEANING their old posts. I want to change typos and unintended mental errors, not the original intent of my old posts.

PunBB has no time-lock available. See topic 'Editing posts'.
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?t=17
Daniel73

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:53 pm

I think I have the name of that non-Duck character that ran on water--could it Gnapoleon the Gneezle?
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Barko » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:39 am

Robb_K wrote:
Barko wrote:Trigger Trueshot is from Sheriff of Bullet Valley...

Yes, his name was mentioned in that story, but who was he?

He was a character in the picture "Gory Gap"! - Btw, Sheriff of Bullet Valley was Barks´first spoof on popular fiction...
Barko

Postby Barko » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:46 am

Daniel73 wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Your not being able to fix your error and your having to ask the host (yourself in any case) to edit out your error brings up my pet peeve about this otherwise high-quality forum. It's absurd that we can't have a 10-minute window to fix errors that we see. If you're so worried about posters going back to old posts and "changing history", then give us the 10 minute window to change errors, and BAN posters who change the MEANING their old posts. I want to change typos and unintended mental errors, not the original intent of my old posts.

PunBB has no time-lock available. See topic 'Editing posts'.
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?t=17

Strange - I believe the danish donaldist site uses the same system (it certainly looks a lot like this forum) and there it´s possible to edit your errors or delete your post any time. There are no time-locks and it has´nt lead to any mis-use. If it´s not the same system the danes use, then why not get a system like theirs...
Barko

Postby Robb_K » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:09 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:I think I have the name of that non-Duck character that ran on water--could it Gnapoleon the Gneezle?

Correct, Dr. WB!
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:10 am

Barko wrote:
Robb_K wrote:
Barko wrote:Trigger Trueshot is from Sheriff of Bullet Valley...

Yes, his name was mentioned in that story, but who was he?

He was a character in the picture "Gory Gap"! - Btw, Sheriff of Bullet Valley was Barks´first spoof on popular fiction...

Correct, Barko!
Robb_K

Postby Olivier » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:22 am

I thought as much (and somehow misquoted the title as "Nugget" Valley-- message on p 16), but did not want to check; I was not sure it might be in another story.
I love Barks' parody of westerns in "Sheriff of Bullet Valley" & "Pizen Spring Dude Ranch" (WDC&S # 102, March 1949), giving us such delightful dialogue as this...

"I begin to smell a plot! There was a mix-up like this in the picture 'Fagin's Fangs'! Horance Mustang jailed hundreds of innocent men before he discovered that the leader of the rustlers was his kindly old grandmother!"

"There's been dirty work at the woodpile!"
"Not even a worm is going to crawl on this place without a portfolio of credentials!"

Now I want to read "Sheriff of Bullet Valley"; I have not read it (and many stories) in a long time.

Olivier

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:01 pm

"They'll clean out the lake, then go down the river to other lakes!"
(which Barks story?)

Isn't that from the Donald ten-pager with Gyro's fishing worms?

We still have to answer Robb's "who ate buckshot?" question. The only story I can think of is Maharajah Donald, but in that story Don didn't actually eat buckshot. Anyone else have another suggestion?
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:31 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"They'll clean out the lake, then go down the river to other lakes!"
(which Barks story?)

We still have to answer Robb's "who ate buckshot?" question. The only story I can think of is Maharajah Donald, but in that story Don didn't actually eat buckshot. Anyone else have another suggestion?

SORRY! I WAS referring to The "Maharadjah Donald" event. I thought I had worded it "Who had to eat buckshot".

So, Olivier and Dr. WB got it right. I hope you'll excuse my old memory.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:27 pm

Robb_K wrote:
Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:I think I have the name of that non-Duck character that ran on water--could it Gnapoleon the Gneezle?

Correct, Dr. WB!

Of course! Egg should have known this! Great question.

Olivier wrote:"I begin to smell a plot! There was a mix-up like this in the picture 'Fagin's Fangs'! Horance Mustang jailed hundreds of innocent men before he discovered that the leader of the rustlers was his kindly old grandmother!"

:lol:
This is absurd and realistic both at the same time. That's what I like about Barks, but also about (for example) Monty Python.

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"They'll clean out the lake, then go down the river to other lakes!"
(which Barks story?)

Correct.
Darn. The big duck in the pond is back. :P

"A token of good luck to you, sir, from your many, many, MANY admirers!"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Egg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:03 pm

hint #1: "Beat up our BUDDY, will you?"
Egg

Postby Olivier » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:41 pm

Okay, I've got it! The initial quote reminded me of something (I can't even recall what now), but the hint is clear: it's the Easter Parade sorry.

The hint is a quotation of the kids defending Gladstone, whom Donald attacks because he stole his eggs.

The first quotation is the card that comes with the gift the nephews send Gladstone.
Olivier

Postby Egg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:10 pm

hint #1: "Beat up our BUDDY, will you?"

Olivier wrote:Okay, I've got it! The initial quote reminded me of something (I can't even recall what now), but the hint is clear: it's the Easter Parade sorry.

The hint is a quotation of the kids defending Gladstone, whom Donald attacks because he stole his eggs.

The first quotation is the card that comes with the gift the nephews send Gladstone.

Correct story. (WDC 151) The first quotation is said by Donald's nephews disguised as one man, by standing op top of each other. There's no card, as far as Egg sees.

"My coughing COFFERS! That's MORE MONEY than we have in the world!"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks