Somewhere in Nowhere

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Daniel73 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:19 am

Topic about 'Somewhere in Nowhere'. (I TES 3-1)

Here's a transcription of a one-page "Donald Duck synopsis" in two faxed versions. Identified by Bill Grandey to be by Carl (Barks), as written in a note to John (Lustig) above each version.
Xeroxes supplied by John Lustig, received by post on 18 October 2003.

John Lustig, about the versions: I finally mailed you a copy of the SIN synopsis today. Actually, I mailed you two versions. About an hour after Bill Grandey faxed me the first synopsis, he faxed me a second one which had a larger role for Huey, Dewey and Louie. Apparently Carl felt the boys should be the ones to save the day for Donald. I sent you both version.
(Email. Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:33:44 EDT)

John Lustig, about the final story: Although this synopsis was the starting point of 'Somewhere in Nowhere,' the final story differs from the synopsis because of additional input from the Carl Barks Studio, Carl Barks, John Lustig and Daan Jippes.
(Email. Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:21:12 EST)

John Lustig's website www.lastkisscomics.com contains information about how 'Somewhere in Nowhere' was created, and it has Lustig's "director's cut" of the plot.
http://www.lastkisscomics.com/readroom.htm (introduction)
http://www.lastkisscomics.com/reading/sin.htm (creation)
http://www.lastkisscomics.com/reading/sinsyn.htm (Lustig synopsis)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

[First synopsis.]

[Handwritten note on xerox: "First version sent to me. J.L."]

John -
This is Carl's one page synopsis for a 10 page Donald Duck story. Please add to as you like and return for brainstorming editing. Add John Lustig to it. Take it anywhere you want to go. A list of gags to fit will be fun. -Bill

DONALD DUCK SYNOPSIS

Beginning:

HD and L are outside D's house talking with a pig friend. Donald walks by with his head down looking bored. He walks by again with his head down. He walks by a third time. H confesses to his pig friend that D has a very boring job. D is "Sidewalk Superintendent (Inspector)" for Duckburg's McDuck Cement Co. On his most exciting days, D finds a crack in the sidewalk. Not much is expected of D by his boss...Scrooge McDuck. Donald confesses to HD and L that he desperately needs a more exciting job. D puts out job applications everywhere. To H D and Ls' dismay (they want to stay in Duckburg)...In desperation, D decides he'll have to be available to relocate and even leave Duckburg. D finally gets his good news. He receives a contract to deliver mail by dog sled in Alaska.

Middle:

In Bearflanks, Alaska, Donald has three days of humorous happenings delivering mail in record time. Each day he is able to deliver mail faster than the day before. On the third day he is notified that he has set a new delivery record. H D and L are pleased to see D on top of his form. McSwine (appeared in milk man story) is not happy to see D doing so well. He is looking for a way to delay D's mail delivery. Money is in the mail by check. McSwine wants to delay it so he can foreclose on the local Bearflanks oil claim. He slows Ds time with a series of detours and tricks such as sand in the snow, substituting the sled dogs with a rare dog...the "Nodding Nap hound". It has enough hair on the outside to look like a good sled dog...but under X-ray (behind the hair) it looks "Chiwawa like" and is always asleep. D tries eveything, but his sled dogs wont move.

Ending:

D saves the day by getting the mail in before midnight, but has set a new worst record for "late delivery". The town of Bearflanks is mad at D. Three examples of upset people are shown (and why they are mad such as Widow Dish missed the final episode of a soap opera because she missed her TV Guide). D is seen pulling the sled dogs all riding in the sled to finish his route just before midnight. The last panel D is back in Duckburg. H claims to his pig friend that sidewalk superintendent is the most exciting job for D that he can stand. L says he is in suspense about whether D find a crack today...or not. D walks by with his head down on his sidewalk inspecting job.

[Second synopsis. This faxed page has 'Carl Barks Studio' logo lettering, with Grandey and Morby mentioned as managers. The bottom of the page contains the adress, telephone number and fax-number.]
[Handwritten note on xerox: "This version with HDL playing a bigger role was sent to me an hour or so after the 1st version. J.L."]

John -
This is Carl's one page synopsis for a 10 page Donald Duck story. Please add to as you like and return for brainstorming editing. Add John Lustig to it. Take it everywhere you want to go. A list of gags to fit will be fun. -Bill

DONALD DUCK SYNOPSIS

Beginning:

HD and L are outside D's house talking with a pig friend. Donald walks by with his head down looking bored. He walks by again with his head down. He walks by a third time. H confesses to his pig friend that D has a very boring job. D is "Sidewalk Superintendent (Inspector)" for Duckburg's McDuck Cement Co. On his most exciting days, D finds a crack in the sidewalk. Not much is expected of D by his boss...Scrooge McDuck. Donald confesses to HD and L that he desperately needs a more exciting job. D puts out job applications everywhere. To H D and Ls' dismay (they want to stay in Duckburg)...In desperation, D decides he'll have to be available to relocate and even leave Duckburg. D finally gets his good news. He receives a contract to deliver mail by dog sled in Alaska.

Middle:

In Bearflanks, Alaska, Donald has three days of humorous happenings delivering mail in record time. Each day he is able to deliver mail faster than the day before. On the third day he is notified that he has set a new delivery record. H D and L are pleased to see D on top of his form. McSwine (appeared in milk man story) is not happy to see D doing so well. He is looking for a way to delay D's mail delivery. Money is in the mail bv check. McSwine wants to delay it so he can foreclose on the local Bearflanks oil claim. He slows Ds time with a series of detours and tricks such as sand in the snow, substituting the sled dogs with a rare dog...the "Nodding Nap hound". It has enough hair on the outside to look like a good sled dog...but under X-ray (behind the hair) it looks "Chiwawa like" and is always asleep. D tries everything, but his sled dogs wont move.

Ending:

HD and L save the day by getting the mail in before midnight to defeat McSwine. Their Junior Woodchuck guidebook tells them about the "Nodding Nap hound". It has a diagram about what these dogs look like under their [fur]. However, D sets a new worst record for "late delivery". The town of Bearflanks is mad at D. Three examples of upset people are shown (and why they are mad such as Widow Dish missing the final episode of a soap opera, because she missed her TV Guide). D and H, D and L are seen pulling the sled dogs all riding in the sled to finish D's route just before midnight. In the last panel D is back in Duckburg. H claims to his pig friend that "Sidewalk Superintendent" is the most exciting job for D that he can stand. L says he is in suspense about whether D will find a crack in the sidewalk today...or not. D walks by with his head down on his sidewalk inspecting job.

Transcription notes
corrections by transcriber, in the second synopsis: typo "fir" replaced with "fur"
version: 20061220.01
Daniel73

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:46 pm

Barks' synopsis is much different from the final story. At first, after reading it, I tended to say I like his version better, but then again the pattern of the story is too similar to other Barks tenpagers. I like his first version best, because for once, it shows Donald as the one who saves the day (more or less) instead of Huey, Duey and Louie and their all-knowing Woodchuck Guidebook. That gets on my nerves sometimes.

The way Lustig set up the story, there was no place for them in the main body of the story, but he could've made the beginning, in which Donald complains about his job, more like Barks' version, with the nephews in it. What I like about Lustig's version, is the emphasis on Scrooge owning every company in Duckburg and that's why Donald keeps failing, so he decides to go to Alaska.
Rockerduck

Postby admin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Received through Disney Comics Mailing List:
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:34:07 -0800
To: dcml
Subject: New/old Barks story: "Somewhere Beyond Nowhere"

In February, Boom! Studios is publishing a totally new version of a
Barks' plotted story. The story has a new title "Somewhere BEYOND
Nowhere"; a new script (by me); and art by the great Daan Jippes. It's
12 pages long.

Why did I want to do a new version--especially since I scripted the
original 2000 version?

Well, the original version ("Somewhere IN Nowhere")--although it
certainly has its charms and some nice art by Pat Block--strayed quite
a bit from Carl's original plot. Interference from one of the managers
of the Carl Barks Studio (not Carl himself) twisted what was intended
to be a snappy 10-12 pager into a bloated 28-page adventure story. I
was continually encouraged to make the story longer. More importantly,
I was given some misinformation about plot changes that Carl
supposedly wanted.

It was only after the story was drawn that I learned how much the
story differed from what Carl actually wanted. As someone who admired
Carl personally and professionally, I felt horrible about this. I
really felt we should go back to Carl's original synopsis and do it
the way he wanted. Fortunately, my editors at Egmont agreed and I was
delighted when Jippes agreed to draw it.

It took me a few years to work up the courage to script this story. I
couldn't afford to do it wrong--again. And I wanted to honor Carl's
intent and legacy. So I felt I had to do my very best.

I think it came out well. (Certainly, Jippes' art is magnificent!) But
you can judge for yourself.

Boom! Studios is publishing "Somewhere Beyond Nowhere" in Donald Duck
and Friends #363. Advance orders from the Diamond Comics Previews
catalog are available through your local comic shop. Here's additional
info about the comic:

http://su.pr/2Zoi4u

And, yes, Boom! left my name off the credits in its solicitations.
(Don't ask me why. I don't know.) But I'm told that I'll be credited
as scripter in the comic itself.

Best Wishes,
John Lustig
http://www.lastkisscomics.com/

The "additional info about the comic":
Donald Duck And Friends #363 (Cover A)
Availability: Not yet released.

$3.99

Writer(s): Carl Barks, John Lustig
Artist(s): Carl Barks, Daan Jippes , Don Rosa

Classics are back at BOOM as the toast to the 70th Anniversary of Walt Disney's Comics continues in the pages of DONALD DUCK! For starters, presented for the first time in the U.S. is the much-requested 1997 Carl Barks story — recently redrawn by Jippes in the Barks style — titled “Somewhere Beyond Nowhere.” If that doesn't whet your appetite, feast on the Carl Barks classic “Mystery of the Loch” as it's reprinted for the first time in English in 16 years! And if that's not enough, enjoy the Geoffrey Blum/Carlos Mota fan-favorite “Saga of Captain Duckburg” — that may even feature Carl Barks himself!

Featuring the never-before-seen cover for “Mystery of the Loch” by the legendary Don Rosa and a special variant featuring an oil painting by the legendary Carl Barks entitled “Slow Boat To Duckburg.”

source: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2Zoi4u/www.boom-studios.net/donald-duck-and-friends-363-cover-a.html
(http://su.pr/2Zoi4u)
admin
Site Admin

Return to Carl Barks