The bad sides of Carl Barks' work

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Egg » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:59 pm

Rockerduck wrote:That quote means it's forbidden to *produce* anything that's round. Does that mean Don Rosa is wrong when Scrooge is prosecuted in Plain Awful for showing his (round!) dime?

Rosa is often wrong when refering to Barks. Rosa even makes mistakes when refering to his own "universe".
Egg

Postby digduck » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:06 pm

LOL LOL, mates.. :-) :-) Aren't u looking juuuust a tiiny bitsy beeny too hard on dat story? Its juust phunnies, they can be seriouz as well, but not dat serius!!! Whaddabout them duck heads then?? they not [ ] (<--- square) either. Dun´t take all teh phun outta it, ok?!!! ;-)
Semper Fidelis Real Madrid C.F/Daisy Duck is hot momma!
digduck

Postby Horsea » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:43 am

First post!

Re: Egg's Barks fault #3 - that Barks thinks it's "okay" to kidnap a woman for a month, etc. I am a woman, and I didn't see anything dark or evil in this. It never occurred to me to see it that way. There were no small claims courts to be had in the middle of the wilderness in those days. Goldie can consider herself darn lucky that Scrooge did no more than require her to work off her debt with hard physical labour digging gold for him! (I do know that Goldie filed a complaint against Scrooge in Hearts of the Yukon [Rosa], but of course that was only to lure him out of hiding.)
Johannesburg Or Bust!
Horsea

Postby Prank » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:18 am

In 'Dangerous disguise' ze great Donaldo el Quako, throws himself out of the window with the words 'goodbye cruel world'.
Is Barks suggesting a suicide here from the spy. Did he had more people die in his stories.
Prank

Postby Egg » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:31 pm

Who has enjoyed the ten-pager about the turkeys and the train robber? In this stiry Donald is railroad station master. (WDC 162)

The story is about shivering in the cold and about turkeys being treated badly. The way Donald's nephews put a box of turkeys over Harry's head (page 9), is cruelty to animals. Are these kids Junior Woodchucks in other stories?
Egg

Postby Egg » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Horsea wrote:Re: Egg's Barks fault #3 - that Barks thinks it's "okay" to kidnap a woman for a month, etc. I am a woman, and I didn't see anything dark or evil in this. It never occurred to me to see it that way. There were no small claims courts to be had in the middle of the wilderness in those days. Goldie can consider herself darn lucky that Scrooge did no more than require her to work off her debt with hard physical labour digging gold for him! (I do know that Goldie filed a complaint against Scrooge in Hearts of the Yukon [Rosa], but of course that was only to lure him out of hiding.)

Can Goldie consider herself darn lucky when being kidnapped by a gold-seeker? Goldie has to work in the dirt and the cold for a month, and then decades later she still gets Scrooge after her because of the debt she has.
Furthermore and worst, Scrooge is taking the law into his own hands. Also in present time Scrooge ignores the law, in a half page that was cut out in the 1950s. Scrooge hasn't paid taxes and intends to steal his claim back from Goldie. As in the past, Goldie seduces Scrooge. This time not to get richer, but to keep the few little possesions she still has.
Egg

Previous

Return to Carl Barks