Barks - Republican or Democrat?

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Olivier » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:37 am

It has gotten dismally quiet, indeed.

I guess Barks' attitude might be summarized as being in favor of people rather than abstract politics, and being open-minded and wary enough for not being the obedient yesman of any Party (ie, be practical: vote for the most competent one, not for the party).
Olivier

Postby Robb_K » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:34 am

Olivier wrote:It has gotten dismally quiet, indeed.

I guess Barks' attitude might be summarized as being in favor of people rather than abstract politics, and being open-minded and wary enough for not being the obedient yesman of any Party (ie, be practical: vote for the most competent one, not for the party).

He was, indeed, his own man, and leery of any large groups of people led by one leader or a small group. He was a realist about human nature (as am I).
Robb_K

Postby Jan Erik » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:36 am

I guess my understanding of Mr. Barks is pretty much similar.

As for his political views AC couldn't remember where he had read about Barks being a Republican. He mentioned Conversations, CBL and CBSV as a source. I can't find it in Donald Ault's book, I had a monentary lapse around the years of CBL due to babynursing and to find it in CBSV - this Mammuth piece of work - is to demanding!

I therefore say as Lee Harvey Oswld did "...I ask for somebody to step foreward to assist me, legaly!"

:)
Jan Erik

Postby Jan Erik » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:16 am

In Thomas Andrae's Carl Barks and the Disney Comic Book - unmasking the myth of modernity he writes on page 212.3 "Echoing Barks' Republican beliefs..."
But this is unchallenged here and must stand as the authors own opinion OR may be confirmed in the CBL.

(I wouldn't know, would I?)
Jan Erik

Postby Robb_K » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:13 am

I don't know where it was written, but knowing him, I wouldn't doubt that he was registered as a Republican. But, as I stated above, I wouldn't doubt that he also voted Democratic many times. I would bet that he didn't vote for Richard Nixon or Ronald Reagan, or George Murphy. I doubt that he would have voted for Arnold Schwarzenegger, if given the chance. I don't think he would have voted for Joe Snake or O.U. Drip, either. But then, I don't know what party they represented.
Robb_K

Previous

Return to Carl Barks