What can we say about Barks?

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Paralyzed Buffalo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:49 am

Egg wrote:I mean, would we spam pages full of short messages about quotes as if this a mere chat-room? :P

Course we wouldn't.
Paralyzed Buffalo

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:49 am

Paralyzed Buffalo wrote:
Egg wrote:No. The indians are much farther away. (hint! hint!)

There's a 60 sec limit... Don't Sander and Dukka trust us?

Sure. Story with presumed toyplane Donald buys. Ends up in Vulcano-city. That the one?

The indina are much much much farther away.
Aren't the bird eggs being only food obvious?
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:50 am

Paralyzed Buffalo wrote:
Egg wrote:I mean, would we spam pages full of short messages about quotes as if this a mere chat-room? :P

Course we wouldn't.

Only if we found out by accident that we are not trusted of course. Like now. heh-heh-heh! :D
Egg

Postby Paralyzed Buffalo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:52 am

Me going take look at myself from inside now. Dream about easy-to-convince squaw..
Paralyzed Buffalo

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:56 am

Then Egg go hiding in garden behind the tree.

(Rockerduck didn't talk to us. Egg is upset.)
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:04 am

Er... Did I say vegetarians don't eat eggs? It's veganists.

To summarize, there are quotes from two Barks-stories with Indians left:

story 1.
"No! No! This stuff really works! Watch what it does to this dog!"

story 2.
"It seems their ONLY food supply is the BIRD EGGS we see around!"
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:05 am

Egg wrote:Maybe we can have a live interview with Rockerduck. How did he become a Barks-fan? Which story was the first one?

I remember 'The Great Pop-Up'as one of the first Barks stories. And 'The Doom Diamond'. What does Rockerduck think of those stories? Over.

Sorry to keep you waiting, Egg. But here are my answers:

I can't recall when I actually became a Barks-fan. I always liked the Dutch comicbook series that printed his stories, from as far back as I can possibly remember. Only later, I found out the deeper meanings of the Barks-stories, the hidden layers, the more adult themes and the beauty of his way of storytelling.

I'm not sure which story you mean by 'The Great Pop-Up', since I'm not familiar with all English titles. I know 'The Doom Diamond' though and I don't like the story. I think it's pretty weak and also the drawings aren't among the best work Barks created.

My first Barks-story as I recall it, is the ten-pager in which Donald and the boys stay home on a stormy night: Donald watching a gangster movie, the nephews doing a Woodchuch-test with their model trains. Then a newsflash on tv announces that two trains are about to crash into each other and nobody's able to contact them. Then the nephews with their model trains figure out a way to prevent the tragedy.
Rockerduck

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:07 am

Egg wrote:Egg hopes Rockerduck is vegetarier and hates Easter.

Both are right, but vegetarians DO eat eggs however. They just don't eat meat.
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:11 am

Rockerduck wrote:I can't recall when I actually became a Barks-fan. I always liked the Dutch comicbook series that printed his stories, from as far back as I can possibly remember. Only later, I found out the deeper meanings of the Barks-stories, the hidden layers, the more adult themes and the beauty of his way of storytelling.

Only later? Didn't you see it as a child then? I think it's the other way around: As a child you see it, and later you remember it. What do you think?

Rockerduck wrote:I'm not sure which story you mean by 'The Great Pop-Up', since I'm not familiar with all English titles. I know 'The Doom Diamond' though and I don't like the story. I think it's pretty weak and also the drawings aren't among the best work Barks created.

I loved the submarines in the water. Like a exciting sensational waterfight.
Great Pop Up is the Gyro-story with the breadrooster. Bread on the moon. Know it?

Rockerduck wrote:My first Barks-story as I recall it, is the ten-pager in which Donald and the boys stay home on a stormy night: Donald watching a gangster movie, the nephews doing a Woodchuch-test with their model trains. Then a newsflash on tv announces that two trains are about to crash into each other and nobody's able to contact them. Then the nephews with their model trains figure out a way to prevent the tragedy.

There's a great interaction there between DD and the boys, with suspense mixed through each other.

Typing fast is difficult. Typing English is difficult. I need a secretary! Mrs. Quackfaster!
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:15 am

In the past I was weary about stories which showed future Duckdurg and exchanging Scrooge's money. But later I start to like it. What's your opinion?

I know it's discussed on Dutch section. Just trying to think of subjects which also others can dive into, to make the topic richer.
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:20 am

As for futuristic stories, I think Barks did a great job in giving an idea of not only the Earth but also the moon and the universe. Like the story about the virtual imagination which contains a dream by Donald of how relative size is in the universe. That's something I liked after someone pointed at it. Before, it was on my list of... eh... "bad Barks-stories".
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:21 am

Egg wrote:Only later? Didn't you see it as a child then? I think it's the other way around: As a child you see it, and later you remember it. What do you think?

I think, as a kid, you don't notice the sarcasm and cynism that's in a lot of Barks' stories. For example, when I was a kid, I read the ten-pager with the 'money-stairs' to the top of the mountain at the end ( turned out it was only a dream Donald had). As a kid, I didn't see that, in the beginning, Scrooge was only popular with the people on the street because of his money he brought with him. The cynism of people being grumpy at Donald when he says 'hi' to them and then being all friendly when somebody with money comes along, I noticed only much later, when I was older.

Egg wrote:Great Pop Up is the Gyro-story with the breadrooster. Bread on the moon. Know it?

I know it. I think the drawings look real nice, but to be honest, I've never been a fan of the Gyro-stories.

Egg wrote:There's a great interaction there between DD and the boys, with suspense mixed through each other.

That's exactly what I like so much about the story. At first sight, it seems a bit dull, with the Ducks only being inside the house all the time, with this disaster that the Ducks aren't directly involved in, and all the Ducks do is talk, talk, talk... But still, Barks created an exciting story with these elements, and that's brilliant I think.
Rockerduck

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:24 am

Egg wrote:In the past I was weary about stories which showed future Duckdurg and exchanging Scrooge's money. But later I start to like it. What's your opinion?

I know it's discussed on Dutch section. Just trying to think of subjects which also others can dive into, to make the topic richer.

I never liked those stories in which Duckburg is all futuristic. I always thought it was very weird, and very 'made up'. In all other stories, Duckburg was just your average city, nothing special, a true representation of America, but these futuristic stories changed that and not for the best, in my opinion. Also, I don't like it when Scrooge exchanges his money, but it's possible that's because of the influenece of other Duck artists.
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:25 am

Rockerduck wrote:I think, as a kid, you don't notice the sarcasm and cynism that's in a lot of Barks' stories. For example, when I was a kid, I read the ten-pager with the 'money-stairs' to the top of the mountain at the end ( turned out it was only a dream Donald had). As a kid, I didn't see that, in the beginning, Scrooge was only popular with the people on the street because of his money he brought with him. The cynism of people being grumpy at Donald when he says 'hi' to them and then being all friendly when somebody with money comes along, I noticed only much later, when I was older.

What about the luck of Gladstone then? And Scrooge not giving money to Donald and threatening him with the rent ?

Rockerduck wrote:
Egg wrote:Great Pop Up is the Gyro-story with the breadrooster. Bread on the moon. Know it?

I know it. I think the drawings look real nice, but to be honest, I've never been a fan of the Gyro-stories.

What about the one with the birdthoughts? That's one of my alltime favorites. It's humoristic and filosophical(?).

Rockerduck wrote:
Egg wrote:There's a great interaction there between DD and the boys, with suspense mixed through each other.

That's exactly what I like so much about the story. At first sight, it seems a bit dull, with the Ducks only being inside the house all the time, with this disaster that the Ducks aren't directly involved in, and all the Ducks do is talk, talk, talk... But still, Barks created an exciting story with these elements, and that's brilliant I think.

There's one point where the suspense flows over. Nephews trains are about to crash, and on television too. I have to check which page.
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:31 am

Other favourite Gyro's, described by memory:

futurepredictor (US 16)
Gyro invents a machine which answers questions about the future.

rubber house (US 19)
Gyro invents a soft rubber house

thoughtsrobot (US 20)
Gyro invents a robot that is like him

War Paint (US 30)
Gyro invents paint that makes indian-playing actors crazy
(Recommender for Paralyzed Buffalo.)

'Man Versus Machine' (Us 47)
Gyro decides to get rid of civilization.
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks