What can we say about Barks?

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:35 am

report: Three pages already! Hope new visitors won't be disturbed by the chatting. There will be serious discussions, but hey, we've just begun.

Let's bet how many pages we'll get this year. 3? 10? 100? 1000?
The winners gets a golden christmas tree. :)
Egg

Postby Pedigreehunter » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:31 am

I hate Barks. I want pulp.

PDH, the Uncommonly
Pedigreehunter

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:54 am

Egg wrote:"It seems their ONLY food supply is the BIRD EGGS we see around!"

That quote is from "Island In The Sky"-a 1960 story about Scrooge scaring the birds (only source of food for an "Indian tribe" on a small moon of a lush planet). To make up for that, and help them survive, he uses up his extra fuel to pull a rope across the chasm between the moon and planet, so the Indians can "walk" across to the lush planet.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:57 am

I hate pulp and lousy artwork and writing! I want Barks, Jippes, Milton, Branca, Scarpa, Gonzales, Gottfredson, Wright, Taliaferro, Verhagen, Gulbransson, Gulien, Heymans, Moores, Van Horn and the like!
Robb_K

Postby Pedigreehunter » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:50 pm

Robb_K wrote:I hate pulp and lousy artwork and writing! I want Barks, Jippes, Milton, Branca, Scarpa, Gonzales, Gottfredson, Wright, Taliaferro, Verhagen, Gulbransson, Gulien, Heymans, Moores, Van Horn and the like!

Barks, Jippes, Milton, Branca, Scarpa, Gonzales, Gottfredson, Wright, Taliaferro, Verhagen, Gulbransson, Gulien, Heymans, Moores, Van Horn are fake pulp.
Gimme da real stuff.
Pedigreehunter

Postby Stephan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:12 pm

Grandpa Jansen wrote:and the famous screwing around-scene of Goldie with Scrooge you know in this little hut in one of the last stories, just wahahahahaha great! Hahahahahahahahhahahaahhahahaaaa!

The ‘famous’ screwing around scene? We haven’t even read that scene, maybe there isn’t even such a scene, so what are you talking about?

Grandpa Jansen wrote:The way Magica The Spell attacks his warehouse in one of the stories, it's really funny, with all that green slime all over Donald's head, hahaha, and Scrooge beating Donald all the time, really hard you know, hahahaha! I've been laughing the balls out of my pants!

You know, Grandpa Jansen, you really remind me of Stamboomjager (‘Familytreehunter’). You say that you’re a Don Rosa-fan, but meanwhile you’re destroying his image. You’re only a poor old man.

Egg wrote:"No! No! This stuff really works! Watch what it does to this dog!"

That’s ‘Black Wednesday’. The ‘stuff’ is hair-growingjuice.

Egg wrote:Do you see any Stephan or Keessie here? No. They feel themselves too good to join us. Rockerduck is the man!

Egg not paying attention very well. Egg not see Stephan already post something, even before Rockerduck. Egg maybe blind -)? Uch.

Egg wrote:Great Pop Up is the Gyro-story with the breadrooster. Bread on the moon. Know it?

I know that story, very short, right? It was funny, but I wouldn’t call it my favourite. I like the longer stories.

Egg wrote:What about the one with the birdthoughts?

Birdthoughts? Weren’t it catthoughts? You mean that story in which Gyro invents a machine which he uses to understand what cats are saying?
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Stephan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:58 pm

"He'll never guess that I've sent him there! And I won't tell him when he gets back!"
Welk barks-verhaal?
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:12 pm

Robb_K wrote:That quote is from "Island In The Sky"-a 1960 story about Scrooge scaring the birds (only source of food for an "Indian tribe" on a small moon of a lush planet). To make up for that, and help them survive, he uses up his extra fuel to pull a rope across the chasm between the moon and planet, so the Indians can "walk" across to the lush planet.

Indeed. US 28. Nice description. This is one of the Barks stories where stingy Scrooge shows his warm side. I like the scene where Donald regrets having used a gun, which has scared the birds away.

Robb_K wrote:I hate pulp and lousy artwork and writing! I want Barks, Jippes, Milton, Branca, Scarpa, Gonzales, Gottfredson, Wright, Taliaferro, Verhagen, Gulbransson, Gulien, Heymans, Moores, Van Horn and the like!

Don't you forget Al Hubbard and Ramon Bernado? They make stories with Scamp, Big Bad Wolf, Dombo, Madam Mim a pleasure to read. Barks-like. Professional people who know what they're doing.

Stephan wrote:[Goldie with Scrooge] The ‘famous’ screwing around scene? We haven’t even read that scene, maybe there isn’t even such a scene, so what are you talking about?

Why does Don Rosa mention it then?

Don Rosa, date unknown:
"C’mon, now! You’re a big boy, right?! $crooge and Goldie alone together in a remote Yukon cabin during a long, cold and snowy winter? What do you think would happen?"
http://www.don-mcduck.de

Stephan wrote:You know, Grandpa Jansen, you really remind me of Stamboomjager (‘Familytreehunter’). You say that you’re a Don Rosa-fan, but meanwhile you’re destroying his image.

Destroying Rosa's image?

Don Rosa on DCML, 5 August 2005, about his fiasco "A Letter From Home":
And thanks for all your kind words about that story! (But I still thought it was sorta on the lame side as regards humor and action -- the story *I* like is the one I finally sent in last week, "The Prisoner of White Agony Creek". But I expect many or most readers will think *that's* the one that's sorta lame.) (And there will be *more* obvious opportunities for "discretionary decisions" in a few scenes in that one. Like when the snow melts off the cabin roof. Ooooh, baby! But I tells 'em like I sees 'em.)

Stephan wrote:You’re only a poor old man.

Why poor? Grandpa Jansen has found Barks! :)

Stephan wrote:
Egg wrote:"No! No! This stuff really works! Watch what it does to this dog!"

That’s ‘Black Wednesday’. The ‘stuff’ is hair-growingjuice.

Indeed. WDC 230

Stephan wrote:Egg not paying attention very well. Egg not see Stephan already post something, even before Rockerduck. Egg maybe blind -)? Uch.

Egg still locked up in shell, looking at plaster night.

Stephan wrote:
Egg wrote:Great Pop Up is the Gyro-story with the breadrooster. Bread on the moon. Know it?

I know that story, very short, right? It was funny, but I wouldn’t call it my favourite. I like the longer stories.

Aha. You like the longer stories. Can you give examples?

Stephan wrote:
Egg wrote:What about the one with the birdthoughts?

Birdthoughts? Weren’t it catthoughts? You mean that story in which Gyro invents a machine which he uses to understand what cats are saying?

Catthoughts is US 15.
Birdthoughts is US 22.

A fresh, new quote:
"I don't live right! I wouldn't help my nephews get a playground simply because *I* was always too stingy to play!"
(which story)
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:17 pm

Stephan wrote:"He'll never guess that I've sent him there! And I won't tell him when he gets back!"
Welk barks-verhaal?

Luck of the North? Donald is happy he got rid of Gladstone by making a fake treasure-map. Slowly it dawns on him his joke is dangerous. Two classic pages every artist should look at every day, just to keep on the track with Donald.
Egg

Postby Pedigreehunter » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:32 pm

Don Rosa wrote:Like when the snow melts off the cabin roof. Ooooh, baby! But I tells 'em like I sees 'em.

Treu. Rosa finished incomplete Back to Klondike.
Pedigreehunter

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:46 pm

Don Rosa wrote:C’mon, now! You’re a big boy, right?! $crooge and Goldie alone together in a remote Yukon cabin during a long, cold and snowy winter? What do you think would happen?

Don Rosa on DCML, 7 November 1996, about Scrooge en Goldie:
I know you're a newcomer to the Group, and welcome. But have you considered reading through the archived Digests to see what's already been discussed here? It should take you only 6 months or so to read those 10,000 pages. (!) Anyway, I've always said that I would NEVER do a story where I show $crooge and Goldie having any direct contact in the Yukon days. I purposely built "Hearts of the Yukon" around a situation where they NEVER interact. Barks did the only such story that there should ever be, and for anyone to ever deal with their brief time together in the Klondike would be to dilute the significance of that meeting. The only contact they had was that month alone together at White Agony Creek, and we use our individual imaginations as to what took place in that time. No, sorry, I'll never do the scenes that you say you wished I'd included in the "Lo$".
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Vrolijk Pasen alle! Happy Easter to our Christian members and friends. And I hope our Jewish members (other than I) and friends had a good Passover!
Robb_K

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:44 pm

"This may be suicide, but it's my ONLY chance to win this race!" (which Barks story?)"

No one got this one, so I'll give the answer--it's from "The Long Race to Pumpkinburg," the story where Donald and the boys have an ice-skating race. It's spoken by Donald as he lights the fuse on a rocket that he hopes will shoot him over the finish line ahead of the kids. One of my favorite examples of the impetuous, obsessive nature of this duck.

Happy Easter to all!
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:39 pm

A fresh, new quote:
"I don't live right! I wouldn't help my nephews get a playground simply because *I* was always too stingy to play!"
(which story)

This is from one of my favorites, KING OF THE GOLDEN RIVER
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:18 pm

Egg wrote:What about the luck of Gladstone then? And Scrooge not giving money to Donald and threatening him with the rent ?

Oh, I got that as a kid. But that's not really a 'deeper layer' or 'underlying meaning' as I see it. Those are basic ingredients of the Duck-universe as Barks created it. But other things, I noticed only later, like how the Duckburg citizens only seem to respect Donald when he has reached a high social status, and lose that respect as soon as he loses that status. Even his nephews sometimes go along with it. That's a harsh thing for a "children's comic".

Egg wrote:What about the one with the birdthoughts? That's one of my alltime favorites. It's humoristic and filosophical(?).

I liked it, but not as much as other Barks-stories. It's the character of Gyro that makes it far less interesting to me. I'd much rather read a story involving Donald and Scrooge, than one with Gyro.

Egg wrote:There's one point where the suspense flows over. Nephews trains are about to crash, and on television too. I have to check which page.

That was great storytelling!
Rockerduck

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks