What can we say about Barks?

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Barko » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:49 am

The title is "Land of the totem poles" (Four Color # 263 february 1950).
Barko

Postby Speedy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:00 am

Speedy

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 pm

"Uh-oh! Call the wild goose! We're on our way again!" (which Barks story)

Hint #1: "ARABIC! All the pirates in those days were Saracens!"

"My grandmother's smelling salts! He's made me into a SHARK!"
(which story?)

This is from the skywriting story (I've heard it named "Skywriting for Scrooge")

Old Doctor Witchie Britchie is not Indian doctor; he be witch doctor of new nation of Wiggy Ziggy, flyboy! You be talkee dreamtalk!
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Stephan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:04 pm

Egg wrote:Aha. You like the longer stories. Can you give examples?

A Letter to Santa (really funny), Luck of the North (great story, really great art), The Magic Hourglass (great story and really funny), The Secret of Atlantis (but only the first part. This story is great till the part where Scrooge and his nephews discover Atlantis, I think), Only a Poor Old Man (good story, great artwork).
There are much more stroies I really like, but these are some favourites.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Stephan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:07 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"Uh-oh! Call the wild goose! We're on our way again!" (which Barks story)

Hint #1: "ARABIC! All the pirates in those days were Saracens!"

Maybe 'Uncle Scrooge and the Philosephers stone'? I remember something about pirates who stole the stone and brought it together with their treasures to their hide-out. Am I right?
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:10 pm

Stephan is right--the "wild goose" line is said by Donald in the pirate cave when the ducks learn from the Arabic inscription that the pirates took the stone to Damascus.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:14 pm

"Unca Donald is getting too POPULAR! We better louse up his act!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Stephan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:17 pm

Allright.

"Okay! Are you there, Donald?"
"Yes, you pin-headed extrusion from a baboon shaper!"
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:23 pm

"Unca Donald is getting too POPULAR! We better louse up his act!"
(which story?)

Another favorite, "Big-Top Bedlam."

Darn, that baboon shaper one sounds familiar but I can't place it from memory. Hints! Hints! I need hints!
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Stephan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:35 pm

Ok: "Never mind! We're dimantling this "pipeline to peace!"
"It's the shortest cut we've seen to mass duckicide!"
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:51 pm

Stephan wrote:A Letter to Santa (really funny), Luck of the North (great story, really great art), The Magic Hourglass (great story and really funny), The Secret of Atlantis (but only the first part. This story is great till the part where Scrooge and his nephews discover Atlantis, I think), Only a Poor Old Man (good story, great artwork).

I think the Donald Duck adventures of the late 1940s and early 1950s contain the best Barks and the best Scrooge McDuck.
I think the early Uncle Scrooge-adventures of the Uncle Scrooge comic show Barks fugiring out the new perspective of Scrooge as hero, which is quite a different story-telling. I think the first Scrooge-adventures are just the beginning of the great Scrooge-adventures Barks would make later. I think the story-telling of the Scrooge adventures begins to peak in the late 1950s and the 1960s.
For example, I think the Cibola-story is just a bit boring with all the intellectual walking through the desert. It makes the story a bit dry. In later adventures Barks keeps a steady pacing, weaving different storylines through each other, which I like. It reminds me of the story-telling in 'A Christmas for Shacktown'. It flows.
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:32 pm

Oh ho, I know where the baboon shaper line comes from now--the Donald and Neighbor Jones story where the nephews are trying to get Donald and Jones to settle their differences by non-violent means (Barks' spoof of the attempts to dialogue with the Communists during the Cold War? Who knows?) I can't recall the title, though. Drat!
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Rockerduck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:27 pm

Searching Cold War-stuff into a simple neighboor-fight? Haha! :lol: It seems that you *want* Barks to write such intellectual stuff in each story, that you create it for yourself.
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:32 pm

Rockerduck wrote:Searching Cold War-stuff into a simple neighboor-fight? Haha! :lol: It seems that you *want* Barks to write such intellectual stuff in each story, that you create it for yourself.

Don't you know history, Rockerduck? Anyone can check that. Barks made more references to the Cold War, like in 'Have Gun Will Dance' and 'A Cold Bargain'.
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:33 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Oh ho, I know where the baboon shaper line comes from now--the Donald and Neighbor Jones story where the nephews are trying to get Donald and Jones to settle their differences by non-violent means (Barks' spoof of the attempts to dialogue with the Communists during the Cold War? Who knows?) I can't recall the title, though. Drat!

Could it be the story 'Unfriendly Enemies', with the fighting parrots?
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks