What can we say about Barks?

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Paralyzed Buffalo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:46 am

Stephan wrote:The ‘famous’ screwing around scene? We haven’t even read that scene, maybe there isn’t even such a scene, so what are you talking about?

Long-Toe-Spotty not having imagination. He not seeing deeper, hidden layers in fabulous stories of Great Artist Don. All other readers do. Not Stephan. That unforgivable for real Don-fan like Spotty. Don not happy now. He disappointed in Stephan. That being big pitty.
Paralyzed Buffalo

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:56 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"This may be suicide, but it's my ONLY chance to win this race!" (which Barks story?)"

No one got this one, so I'll give the answer--it's from "The Long Race to Pumpkinburg," the story where Donald and the boys have an ice-skating race. It's spoken by Donald as he lights the fuse on a rocket that he hopes will shoot him over the finish line ahead of the kids. One of my favorite examples of the impetuous, obsessive nature of this duck.

So fast the answer already? Where were the hints?

New quote:
"And I have a MORTGAGE on those fancy clothes you're wearing! Get back to your hotel and take them off!"
Egg

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:59 am

Question Quiz: Did Barks make any Easter-stories?
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:05 am

Barks wrote and drew WDC Nr. 151 about The Easter Parade in Duckburg, in which Donald tries to beat Gladstone out for being Grand Marshall of The Parade. Then he has to wear an embarrassing Easter Bunny outfit.

I can't remember any others, offhand.
Robb_K

Postby Stephan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:13 am

Egg wrote:Luck of the North? Donald is happy he got rid of Gladstone by making a fake treasure-map. Slowly it dawns on him his joke is dangerous. Two classic pages every artist should look at every day, just to keep on the track with Donald.

Yes, that's the one.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:56 pm

Robb_K wrote:Barks wrote and drew WDC Nr. 151 about The Easter Parade in Duckburg, in which Donald tries to beat Gladstone out for being Grand Marshall of The Parade. Then he has to wear an embarrassing Easter Bunny outfit.

I can't remember any others, offhand.

There's also at least one Easter cover.

Where's Keessie? He is the Barks-quiz Wizard.

Question Quiz:
Can you find a wedding day in Barks's stories?
Egg

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:07 pm

P.B. not answering Barks-questions?

Paralyzed Buffalo wrote:
Stephan wrote:The ‘famous’ screwing around scene? We haven’t even read that scene, maybe there isn’t even such a scene, so what are you talking about?

Long-Toe-Spotty not having imagination. He not seeing deeper, hidden layers in fabulous stories of Great Artist Don. All other readers do. Not Stephan. That unforgivable for real Don-fan like Spotty. Don not happy now. He disappointed in Stephan. That being big pitty.

Egg wonders what Paralyzed Buffalo thinks of Barks's indian language:

- "Bringum paleface to ceremonial rock! Indian must haveum vengeance!"
- "Me gottum medicine ready!"
- "Me call upon totems of our long-gone ancestors to witness what goin' to happen!"
(Which story? All quotes are from the same one.)

Quotes come from b/w CBL.
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:24 pm

Sorry about not posting some hints, Egg--not used to the quote ettiquette.

"And I have a MORTGAGE on those fancy clothes you're wearing! Get back to your hotel and take them off!"

That's the Mayor of Duckburg to the Maharajah of Howduystan in in "Statuesqe Spendthrifts."

All the Indian quotes come from "Land of the Totem Poles."
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:32 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Sorry about not posting some hints, Egg--not used to the quote ettiquette.

You're sorry? Is that all? I'm still clutched. You'll have to deliver a new Barks-quote to convince Egg of your well-meant honest regrets.

"I am the city rat inspector! If this house has rats, it will have to be torn down!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Sorry about not posting some hints, Egg--not used to the quote ettiquette.

That's the Mayor of Duckburg to the Maharajah of Howduystan in in "Statuesqe Spendthrifts."

That's a great, funny line that's not in the Dutch translation! You see, *this* is what I mean when I say a translator can make or break a story.
Rockerduck

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:02 am

"I am the city rat inspector! If this house has rats, it will have to be torn down!"

This is from the Will O' the Wisp story, spoken by Scrooge, who's trying to trick Donald into selling his house.

"Uh-oh! Call the wild goose! We're on our way again!" (which Barks story)

I promise to give hints this time, Egg--if not, old Doctor Witchie Britchie promise to takee some of his own wonder drugs (blech!)
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:28 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"Uh-oh! Call the wild goose! We're on our way again!" (which Barks story)

Wild goose? Is it something said by the Beagle Boys? (Where's my Barks Quiz Cheats Compendium?)

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:I promise to give hints this time, Egg--if not, old Doctor Witchie Britchie promise to takee some of his own wonder drugs (blech!)

Is Witchie Britchie doctor of elusive, wise indian Paralyzed Buffalo?
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:30 am

"My grandmother's smelling salts! He's made me into a SHARK!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:54 am

Rockerduck wrote:
Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"And I have a MORTGAGE on those fancy clothes you're wearing! Get back to your hotel and take them off!"

That's a great, funny line that's not in the Dutch translation! You see, *this* is what I mean when I say a translator can make or break a story.

That why Egg is fond of using the (hopefully) original quotes, also on the Dutch section, so people can notice the difference. Now you have Barks's own language. I try to choose the quotes so, that also people without original versions, should be able to guess them.

Who knows the answer to the wedding question, btw? I found it a difficult one when it was asked to me in a real-life Barks Quiz.

edited: duplicate quote removed
Last edited by Egg on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egg

Postby Paralyzed Buffalo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:27 am

Egg wrote:P.B. not answering Barks-questions?

Me say that's bull, bull, and bull once more.

Egg wrote:Egg wonders what Paralyzed Buffalo thinks of Barks's indian language:

- "Bringum paleface to ceremonial rock! Indian must haveum vengeance!"
- "Me gottum medicine ready!"
- "Me call upon totems of our long-gone ancestors to witness what goin' to happen!"
(Which story? All quotes are from the same one.)

Question is insult for Paralyzed Buffalo. Egg thinks me stupid?
This typical Indian talk-talk is from story with giant steam-organ Donald is trying to sell in the north. Is one of best Barks stories I know. With heremite in grotto who buys steam-organ from nephews. Donald messing things up with "make-up-box" which he exchanged with nephews for sample of organ.
Not know title, me not having Barks Library unfortunately.
Paralyzed Buffalo

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks