What was your first Barks story?

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby McDuck Menu » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:18 pm

M first ever Barks story, or stories, were in an album. nr. 86 from De Beste Verhalen (The Best Sories) Donald Duck als Buurman (DD as neighbour). In this album was the story: Wispy Willie (Dunne Dirk Dwaallicht) W.D.C. 159. This story is still, along with Hound of the Whiskervilles(Bloedhond van de Ploertenaars) U.S. 29 my all time favourite Barks story.
Have any of you had the same experience with your first Barks stories, those first stories becoming your favourites?
McDuck Menu

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:17 am

My first Barks story was SHERIFF OF BULLET VALLEY (Gladstone's album version). It's still one of my all-time favorites ("I'm an old cowthief, and I loves my beef!")
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:09 am

My first Barks-story, as far as I can remember, was The runaway train (WDC 195). It's the tenpager in which Donald and his nephews are staying home, while outside a storm occurs. Donald is watching a gangster movie on tv, and Huey, Duey and Louie are busy with a Junior Woodchuck project involving miniature trains. Then suddenly the movie is interrupted for a special newsflash and message to a certain professor. It appears two trains are about to crash onto each other and they can't be reached to warn them. So they ask the professor to come up with an answer. However, the professor doesn't, and it's up to H,D&L to provide a solution by using their miniature trains, and a bit of help from Uncle Scrooge.

It was not just my first Barks-story, but also one of the very first Duck-stories I've ever read. Even as a kid, I felt this story was better than the others. At first the story might seem a bit dull, with the Ducks doing nothing but staying inside and just talk, and talk and talk, but there is a really great sense of suspense, even though the Ducks are not personally involved in the train-disaster that is about to take place. Also, the reactions of H,D&L and Donald are perfectly contrasted and timed.
Rockerduck

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:23 am

However, that story is not one of my all-time favorites. I think other ten-pagers, which I've read in 1993 and 1994 in the Dutch weekly (when I had just a prescription for half a year) are my favorites, like Rival beachcombers, Gladstone returns, The price of fame and Donald of the Coast Guard.

Browsing through Induck, I notice that 1994 was an extremely good year for Barks-reprints. I love those by the way, the new translation was much, much better than the old ones which were then still re-printed in the comic books (albums) and still are today, unfortunately. I also notice that, even back then, the only artist besides Barks to be published in the weekly was Vicar.
Rockerduck

Postby germund » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:32 am

I believe my first story was The 7 Citites of Cibola, or at least the 2nd out of 4 parts. That issue is the oldest "read-to-pieces" book I still have in my collection, it was published here in Sweden in 1980 when I was 5-6 years old and I still nostalgically remember reading about the ducks looking for arrowheads in the desert very well.

The story that got me hooked on *collecting* ducks was not by Barks though, but Brancas "The Green Attack" (D4616). This has to be one of the greatest non-Barks Donald stories of all time and it completely altered my world.
germund

Postby Robb_K » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:27 pm

The first Barks story I can remember from my oldest memory was being read "Lost In The Andes". But I also remember being read "Luck of The North" and "The Old Castle's Secret very early. I inherited most of the Barks 1942-1952 stories from older cousins who lived in our house. They had a lot of "human character comics" too, but I only liked the Disney, Warner Brothers, MGM and Walter Lantz funny animal comics (mostly Disney, and mostly Barks). The first comic I had my parents buy for me was Uncle Scrooge 386 ("Only a Poor old Man"). I also especially liked his 1943 3-tier stories. I had a collection from the age of 3 (shared with my cousins) and they all fell to me, by the time I was 7. But I was hooked as a Barks fan already at 2 and a half years old. I learned to read from reading Barks.
Robb_K

Postby digduck » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:22 pm

as young duckling I loved Daffy Duck! but soon find other ducks as well! Barks was the phunniest ...

First thing I read waz dat Skool Detective -story. It just crack me up, made me wanna skip class too! :-D :-D :-D
Semper Fidelis Real Madrid C.F/Daisy Duck is hot momma!
digduck

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:59 pm

I remember my first Barks being the 4-page 'The Great Pop-Up' (US 37). An early 1960s story in which Gyro invents a bread toaster that launches a slice of bread to the moon. Just before astronauts of Duckburg's super rocket land there.
Other early stories were 'The Doom Diamond' (US 70) and a part of 'Mystery of the Ghost Town Railroad' (US 56).
Daniel73

Return to Carl Barks