Comicup Studio

Santiago Ceballos, William Van Horn, Paul Murry, Don Rosa, etc.

Postby Robb_K » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:16 am

Here is the complete list of artists who worked for Comicup Studios at least on one Disney story:

Marsal Abella
Jose Antonio Gonzalez
Jose Aviles
Santiago Barreira (NL)
Jose Cardona
Jose Carreras
Jose Caruana (NL)
Mario Cortes
Joan Espinach
Jaime Esteva
Miguel Fernandec
Tony Fernandez
Francisco Figueras (inker for Heijmans Brothers)
Juan Fornes (inker for Heijmans Brothers)
Mando Galdon
Jorge Granjel
Conrado Lazaro
Martin Lourdes
IgnacioMajoral
Oscar Martin
Jose Nebot
Isabel Penalva
Carmen Perez
Daniel Perez
Miguel Pujol
Marga Querol
Jose Ramon Bernado
Pablo Reche
Angel Rodriguez
Francisco Peinado
Cristina Ruiz
Javier Secaduras
Maximo Tortajada
Xavier Vives

Several of them have done some work for GP/VNU/Sanoma Uitgevers(Dutch Disney). Others have done a lot of work for Hachette (French Disney), while still many others have worked for Gutenberghus/Egmont (Danish Disney) and Mondadori/Disney Italia, and still others directly for the US Disney Co. (non-Gladstone/non Gemstone). A few have worked for combinations of those clients. I look forward to some scans of their work for Dutch Disney.
Robb_K

Postby Rockerduck » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:06 pm

I don't like much of what's being made at the ComicUp studio. Often, the drawings are very Disney-like, but they're too smooth to me, and they all look like they come of an assembly line. I miss spririt in these drawings, a heart and soul.

There are some exceptions. I like Santiago Barreira, Carlos Mota and Bernado (only his Madam Mim), but only because they have their own nice recognizeable style, not really because of the 'spirit'.
Rockerduck

Postby Supergoof » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:24 pm

I think mr. Bernado makes a very fine Donald, but his MM, GO and secondary characters are too weird-looking for little old me. And I've seen a lot of different artists' work over the years.
Supergoof

Postby Rockerduck » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:28 am

I think Bernado's Ducks are among the worst I've ever seen.
Rockerduck

Postby WB » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:24 pm

I like Fransisco Peinado (ESPECIALLY HIM) and Miguel Pujol. Those three in particular jump out at me on that list because of the detail and quality I've seen of thier work in the states.

The studio art in general however has never really been my cup of tea. Most of it I find either too stiff or...lacking in liveliness, you know? So it doesnt really rank high on my personal favorites list.

Peinado in particular (at least Im THINKING thats him whose mouse work has seen print in the states, I hope I dont have his name wrong...) draws the liveliest Mickey Mouse next to Cesar Ferioli IMO.
WB

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:52 pm

It's amazing how both Peinado and Ferioli do a great job on both Duck *and Mouse. But to me, Peinado is the Duck-man, and Ferioli the Mouse-man. I read everything from then when I can get my hands on it. Living in The Netherlands, that's not too much.
Rockerduck

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:56 pm

I looked up Miguel Pujol in the Lambiek Comiclopedia. So HE'S the great artist whose stories I've admired for all those years! His Duck-work is simply terrific!

You mention Peinado and Pujol in your post, and then say "Those THREE"... Did you include Ferioli or did you mean a different artist?
Rockerduck

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:05 pm

According to Lambiek, Marsal Abella is working for the Recreo studios. He has his own recognizable style, but I'm not too fond of it.

Jose Antonio Gonzalez is drawing too much in a standard Disney-style, too much like the recent short cartoons from tv series like 'Mickey Mouse Works'. I hate those.

Jose Aviles has very poor drawing skills.

Jose Cardona has no Disney-drawings on Lambiek. :(

Jose Carreras's drawings are very mediocre.

Why do all these people have the same first name? :P
Rockerduck

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:13 pm

But now I'm in confusion, because when I click on Joan Espinach (in Lambiek) I get to see the same drawings as when I click on Miguel Pujol:
http://www.lambiek.net/artists/e/espinach_joan.htm
Rockerduck

Postby WB » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:32 pm

I get two different pictures for each person. Strange.

At any rate - the reason it said three was a faulty edit on my part. Its supposed to say two.

I would imagine that there are 10,001 "Jose's" because its a fairly common spanish name in that regard. :)
WB

Postby WB » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:53 pm

Here's a quick question that I just thought of. Does Egmont employ the Jaime Diaz Sudios to do Disney stories anymore? I know that Disney did during their tenure hence the many "Goofy Look At..." stories, but to be honest, outside of Cosme Quartieri's Ducktales material and the Saavedra brothers doing non duck-mouse characters (Rescue Rangers, Talespin, that kind of stuff), I really couldnt stand much of any of thier stuff nor did i know much of anyone else who could tolerate it. =
WB

Postby Supergoof » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:40 am

WB wrote:....Jaime Diaz Sudio......I really couldnt stand much of any of thier stuff....

Hear, hear! Uninspired artwork, and, as for most of the 1970/1980's Disney Studio stuff, boring stories too. (Which we of course can not blame Jaime Diaz Studios for, though)
Supergoof

Postby Robb_K » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:28 pm

Rockerduck wrote:According to Lambiek, Marsal Abella is working for the Recreo studios. He has his own recognizable style, but I'm not too fond of it.

:P

My list is of all artists who HAVE worked for Comicup. Marsal only drew 3 stories for them, so Recreo must have the more representative samples of his work.

I don't like Bernadó's Ducks very much. His style looks like a very poor man's Daan Jippes impression, but while drawing in an earthquake on heavy drugs.

I don't like Pujol's Ducks, but only because I want to see only Barks. Pujol's artwork is very nice and quaint in style. Mota's Ducks are fairly good.

I don't know Peinado's style.
Robb_K

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:51 pm

Oscar Martin did a great number of amazing 'Tom and Jerry'-comics. They were hilarious! Now he's doing mainly 'Lion King'-stuff, which I hate with passion. (the comics, not the movie)
Rockerduck

Postby WB » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:41 pm

Robb_K wrote:According to Lambiek, Marsal Abella is working for the Recreo studios. He has his own recognizable style, but I'm not too fond of it.

:P

Egh. Not my cup of tea. Another artist that I've discovered that I didnt like much which was Xavi who's art seems rather weird and off-model to me. But perhaps thats my own personal perrogative.

My list is of all artists who HAVE worked for Comicup. Marsal only drew 3 stories for them, so Recreo must have the more representative samples of his work.

I don't like Bernadó's Ducks very much. His style looks like a very poor man's Daan Jippes impression, but while drawing in an earthquake on heavy drugs.

I didnt see his ducks in Lambiek but IMO he draws a pretty decent Mickey Mouse. I'd need to see more of it to guage a better opinion but it looks far better than some of the other artists I've seen who attempt at drawing him in that his Mickey actually exhibits a lot of movement (which is a plus for me). It looks to me like his artwork is a stark mixture of Daan Jippes mixed in with Daniel Branca which IMO isnt a bad mix. Its eclectic mind you - both artists can border on the insane and go everywhere in thier style (which I like to an extent) - but compared to many other artists I think he's a keeper AT LEAST when it comes to Mice. I can't judge him on anything I havent seen.

I don't like Pujol's Ducks, but only because I want to see only Barks. Pujol's artwork is very nice and quaint in style. Mota's Ducks are fairly good.

I don't know Peinado's style.

Mota reminds me of a very toned down Branca in some respects. I love Pujol's attention to detail which is more my cup of tea I think. I need to see more of his work to form a better opinion but what little I saw in a recent Gemstone reprint I liked. As far as the Barks thing goes, as good as Barks is, I dont think its fair to say I only want to see Barks like work and *nothing* else. To elaborate on that a bit - I like artists who try and develop thier own style rather than endless repeats of the same thing or direct clones who can develop no style that is thier own. Barks is definitive to the ducks - of that there is no doubt in my mind or contest. But there is something to be said for individuality in ones artwork vs no individuality at all. Direct clones of Barks do little for me. HOWEVER - the other side of that coin is that if you ARE going to develop your own style, make sure that it stays true to what has come before it without morphing into that completely. You dont want to see Ducks that look like big piles of gobbledygook and/or stiff unmoving garbage. There is a balance I think.
WB

Next

Return to Other creators