Other than Barks, which Disney comic artist do you like best

Santiago Ceballos, William Van Horn, Paul Murry, Don Rosa, etc.

Postby Egg » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:56 am

Robb_K wrote:with THE DUCKS, ONLY! I have no problem with Hubbard's Scamp, Chip N' Dale, and his other non-Duck and non-Mouse work. It's clear that he's an accomplished artist.

What do you think of Al Hubbard's Fethry then, and Donald's thinking cat Tobber?

Robb_K wrote:It's just a matter of what style people are used to.

How do you mean? I can admire work that's not my taste, just be looking at how it's made.

Robb_K wrote:I grew up reading mostly Barks Duck stories in the late '40s and early '50s. So, that's how I like my Ducks to look. I don't like his Mickey Mouse universe, either.

Al Hubbard drawing Mickey Mouse? Interesting. How does that look?

Robb_K wrote:I also can't stand Rosa's Duck drawings (although I like his scribbles. I'd rather see comic book stories printed with his unfinished scribbles. His inking stiffens his figures greatly.

That's not only Rosa, but with many artists. Carl Barks's Junior Woodchuck scripts, for example, look very lively compared to his inked work. Also with Mau Heymans, of whom I've seen the script exposed of a funny gag about Daisy knitting socks with a different size each. Is there any artist who can be as lively in ink as with pencils. Only Al Hubbard, I guess.

Robb_K wrote:Robert Crumb

Who's Robert Crumb?
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:51 am

Egg wrote:
Robb_K wrote:with THE DUCKS, ONLY! I have no problem with Hubbard's Scamp, Chip N' Dale, and his other non-Duck and non-Mouse work. It's clear that he's an accomplished artist.

What do you think of Al Hubbard's Fethry then, and Donald's thinking cat Tobber?

I like the look of Al Hubbard's Feathry. But, he and Donald and his "Univers" can't be the same one for me as Barks'. like the Italian Duck stories, it is simply much too different.

Robb_K wrote:It's just a matter of what style people are used to.

How do you mean? I can admire work that's not my taste, just be looking at how it's made.

Robb_K wrote:I grew up reading mostly Barks Duck stories in the late '40s and early '50s. So, that's how I like my Ducks to look. I don't like his Mickey Mouse universe, either.

Al Hubbard drawing Mickey Mouse? Interesting. How does that look? I can't get to my orignal US Mickey Mouse stories now, but I have several. Most were printed, however, in special books (Christmas, Vacation, one-time publications). Look up Hubbard in COA.

Robb_K wrote:I also can't stand Rosa's Duck drawings (although I like his scribbles. I'd rather see comic book stories printed with his unfinished scribbles. His inking stiffens his figures greatly.

That's not only Rosa, but with many artists. Carl Barks's Junior Woodchuck scripts, for example, look very lively compared to his inked work. Also with Mau Heymans, of whom I've seen the script exposed of a funny gag about Daisy knitting socks with a different size each. Is there any artist who can be as lively in ink as with pencils. Only Al Hubbard, I guess.

I am an artist myself, and am loathe to ink my own drawings for that same reason. However, Rosa's final pencils are also much too stiff. There's not much life to his figures. He never had the classical animation or figure drawing training that most of the cartoonists had. He admits, himself, that "he is not a good artist". he has gotten better over the years, but is still very stiff when drawing "formally". His scribbles are nice because he "let's himself be free with sweeping strokes". On his final pencils, his strokes are only very careful and short. He hasn't had the deep study of the physiological structure of the living things he portrays, nor does he have a good sense for layout. He has an apparant agenda: to cram as much information into each panel by using lines. Barks, Jippes and the other artists I like maximise their information delivery by being economical with space (dual uses, implication, etc.).

I have to admit that subconsciouly, I know that I am jealous of Rosa, as he has done in his life, just what i had hoped to do, but have so far been unable to do: Write and draw new Duck stories in The Barks Tradition, including a history of The Duck Family. I am older than Don, and it is less and less likely that i'll even reach the level of consistancy in my drawing to be allowed to draw final pencils for Disney Comics, and have my long adventure stories accepted (although I have had a 27 pager accepted recently, and am currently writing some long adventure stories to submit for pocketbooks. But, I want to write and draw long adventure stories for Donald Duck Extra and Egmont publications (not to be mixed with the Italian work. That is ESPECIALLY TRUE while I'm still not allowed to draw the final pencils for my stories.

Robb_K wrote:Robert Crumb

Who's Robert Crumb?

Robert Crumb is an artist who made his fame in the US '60s underground comics scene, drawing comics mostly of sexual or drug-related topics. He used a lot of heavy strokes and heavy shading. Rosa's line work looks almost exactly like Crumb's style. that is the style Rosa started drawing "Captain Kentucky" in. Most of the US undergound (and many European) '60s and '70s "underground" artists used that style.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:12 am

Dale! Chip is the boring straight man!

Art over story. Comics are a visual medium. If I can't look at a story, it doesn't matter HOW GOOD the story is. I missed understanding how good a lot of non-Barks stories were, from the '40s till ttoday, because the art was not to my liking. It made me sick to see the great Jr. Woodchuck stories ruined by Tony Strobl's and Kay Wright's poor work. Thank goodness for Daan Jippes (and Mau Heymans 1 story) reviving those stories. I would have liked to see Gottfredson or Gonzales draw all those nice Fallberg stories, rather than Paul murray (although his work was, at least, readable). There were some good Duck stories drawn by Bradbury (whose work I like), that i'd like to have seen drawn by Barks.

I can't choose between DD Weekblad and DD Extra. We need Extra for long stories. I hate to see long stories divided into small pieces (Monarch of Medioka in 2004 (6 pieces!!!!). Donald Duck Weekblad -nice to have a good comic every week (and lots of history). I got my first in 1953!

I take Daan Jippes over Branca. Branca drew nice Ducks, but used Barks' 1960s Ducks as a model. Why didn't he use Barks' classical period, as did Jippes, Milton, Verhagen and Mau and Bas Heymans? I'm prejudiced, as I like Daan as a person, too, and never even met Branca. I love Branca's work very much, however, and place him third, just behind jippes, as a Duck artist. Jippes has done a much wider group of characters and styles (at least what we Disney fans have seen). I have seen some of Branca's (and Vicar's) earlier, non-Disney work, and am impressed. But that counts for little, regarding Disney artwork rankings.
Robb_K

Postby Stephan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Egg wrote:Well, I can't laugh about Rosa-bashing no more, I actually never did. You wouldn't laugh too, if I started posting hundreds of posts about how bad Lennearth Nijgh is, would you?

Egg wrote:I would really love it. Really.

Really? I recall you said Nijgh was very important to you. Of course you don't like it if one of your idols becomes a victim of all kinds of insultments and suspicions. Wether his work can survive easily or not.
You didn't love it when someone said something bad about Barks in 'Barks/Don Rosa' either, you took that really seriously.

Egg wrote:But what's the point?

The point is that I don't like it that you make Don Rosa look extremely bad and evil. I don't think Don Rosa deserves that. I like his work and I'm sure the man himself isn't half as evil as you describe him.

Don Rosa wrote:-- those are not nationalities that I would want in these Duck's ancestry.

Egg wrote:Read carefully. Rosa says "I would want". Fanboy Rosa puts himself above genius Barks.

Come on! You said yourself you did't like it when other people fill in what you think, why do you do it with Don Rosa then?
You put is as a fact that Don Rosa means with 'I would want': I'm better then Barks. How do you know what Don Rosa means?

Egg wrote:Hey. It's a fair discussion already, Stephan. Don't be ridiculous.

I think it's much more fair when Don Rosa has the oppertunity to react directly on your insultments and interpretations of his words, don't you? I don't see what's wrong with inviting Don Rosa.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:19 pm

Stephan wrote:I think it's much more fair when Don Rosa has the oppertunity to react directly on your insultments and interpretations of his words, don't you?

Rosa has that oppurtunity just as much as you. Don't be such a cry-baby. How old are you?

Stephan wrote:I don't see what's wrong with inviting Don Rosa.

You do whatever you want to do. Keep me out of your decisions.
Egg

Postby Egg » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:32 pm

Stephan wrote:I recall you said Nijgh was very important to you.

So what? Do you know so very little about Rosa that the only power you have is getting personal and off-topic? Is it really all you can do?

Stephan wrote:Of course you don't like it if one of your idols becomes a victim of all kinds of insultments and suspicions. Wether his work can survive easily or not.

Stephan is filling in what Egg should think. You may criticize. Are you blind? Didn't you read my have-a-go?

Stephan wrote:You didn't love it when someone said something bad about Barks in 'Barks/Don Rosa' either, you took that really seriously.

Bla bla bla. Is this topic about Egg? Anyway, I just love to defend Barks when some Rosafans are bashing Barks because they're too stupid to understand Barks.

Stephan wrote:The point is that I don't like it that you make Don Rosa look extremely bad and evil. I don't think Don Rosa deserves that. I like his work and I'm sure the man himself isn't half as evil as you describe him.

Rosa makes himself look extremely bad and evil. There's no need to blame others for that. Rosa does that to himself.

Stephan wrote:You put is as a fact that Don Rosa means with 'I would want': I'm better then Barks. How do you know what Don Rosa means?

Do I care what Rosa innerly really means? Rosa is your idol. I couldn't care less about what Rosa really might mean if I read his remarks 100 times over and over again. I don't care. I'm a Barks-fan. I like Barks. And I hate Rosa's Barks-bashing. Period.
If you want to discuss this further, raise a topic. There are so many good artists. So why should I care about a bad artist?
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:35 pm

You were in the wrong thread now, weren't you, Rob? :lol: That post was meant to be in the 'Comic game' thread.
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:51 am

Rockerduck wrote:Jan Gulbransson hasn't drawn a Duck-story in the last 20 years, if I'm correct!

You are NOT correct! He was still drawing stories for GP much less than 20 years ago.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:36 pm

"I did SO want to be grand marshal! But it's no use now! I'll withdraw my name!"
(which story?)
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:32 pm

Robb_K wrote:[Gulbransson]You are NOT correct! He was still drawing stories for GP much less than 20 years ago.

Weren't the last stories he drew for GP in the late 1980's? What was the last story he made for GP? I haven't seen a story from him in more than 10 years, so I woder why you still keep mentioning his 'recent work' when talking about Duck-work.
Rockerduck

Postby Rockerduck » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:36 pm

Egg wrote:"I did SO want to be grand marshal! But it's no use now! I'll withdraw my name!"
(which story?)

This should be in the 'Carl Barks'-topic.
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:45 pm

Sorry. Egg is clutched again. I blame the confusing topic-title. It refers to Barks but isn't about Barks at all.
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Rockerduck wrote:
Robb_K wrote:[Gulbransson]You are NOT correct! He was still drawing stories for GP much less than 20 years ago.

Weren't the last stories he drew for GP in the late 1980's? What was the last story he made for GP? I haven't seen a story from him in more than 10 years, so I woder why you still keep mentioning his 'recent work' when talking about Duck-work.

The last stories he drew for GP were from 1996. But he has been drawing stories for Egmont, based on Ehapa's request, since 2003. Unfortunately, none of them have been printed yet.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:19 pm

Some stories which Jan and I worked on in the late '80s and early '90s have been printed in his German "Hall of Fame" volume, even though they still have not been printed in Nederland. They are among our best stories. He also drew a couple of Frank Jonker's scripts in the mid 1990s, as well as a 5-pager he wrote with our other partner, Gabriel Nemeth. If you can read German, his "Hall of Fame" book is well worth the price.
Robb_K

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:20 am

All German Disney-books look worth the price. If I had the money, I'd buy them all! They are so much better than the Dutch books.
Rockerduck

PreviousNext

Return to Other creators