Other than Barks, which Disney comic artist do you like best

Santiago Ceballos, William Van Horn, Paul Murry, Don Rosa, etc.

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:13 am

Well, it's all in the title, isn't it? ;) I like a lot of Disney artists, so it's really hard to pick just one.

If I go by the drawings only, it could be Daniel Branca, Daan Jippes, Mark de Jonge, Ben Verhagen, Marco Rota or a more recent artist, like Francesco Peinado, whom I admire very much. Also the Mau and Bas Heymans from the 1990's I like very much, but I'm not fond of their recent work.

If I go by stories, William van Horn and Don Rosa would both be in the race, although both of them are not as good today as they used to be. Also, I like most Duck-stories by Jan Kruse very much, especially when he's teamed up with Mark de Jonge or Ben Verhagen. Needless to say, I also adore the Duck-stories Jippes and Milton created together in the late 1970's.

When talking about the Mouse-universe, I'd have to say that my favorite artist (besides Gottfredson), is Cesar Ferioli. His drawings make Mickey and his gang look like the way they did in the great classic cartoons from the 1930's.

So, who's my favorite? Which artist do I like best?

Honestly, I don't know.
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:36 am

For a beginning:
Daan Jippes. Bernado of ComiCup. Daniel Branca. Mau Heymans. Bas Heymans. Sander Gulien. Freddy Milton. William Van Horn. Marco Rota.
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:26 am

Al Hubbard! How can I forget???
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:45 pm

William Van Horn, Ben Vergahen, Jan Kruse, Daan Jippes, Fred Milton, Romano Scarpa, Floyd Gottfredson, Daniel Branca (in no particular order)
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Rockerduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:09 pm

Egg wrote:Al Hubbard! How can I forget???

With all due respect, but how can you possibly pick Al Hubbard? His drawings are awfull, far too rough, like they're sketches. What I dislike most, are his non-Duck comics, like Scamp and Junglebook. I always skip them.
Rockerduck

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:39 am

I agree that Hubbard's Ducks aren't the best, but I love his artwork on Scamp, Peter Pan, and many other non-Duck characters--they have a great old animation flavor.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:51 am

In the Welcome-topic, the Toonder Studio of Marten Toonder is mentioned. Was it Piet Wijn who did those stories?

Piet Wijn is a great artist, known of Douwe Dabbert, a serial in the Dutch Donald Duck weekly.

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Egg on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:29 pm

After barks, I like Daan Jippes best (especially during his early period-together with Freddy Milton. After him, it would be Daniel Branca. Ben Verhagen, Mau Heymans (middle career) Van Horn, and Jan Gulbransson (recent work) are also very good.

I CAN'T STAND Al Hubbard's, Paul Murray's, Kay Wright's, Tony Strobl's (post 1958 work-although I like his 1947-1958 work).

For Mickey Mouse, I like Floyd Gottfredson best by far (as Barks), then manuel Gonzales, and Bill Wright. I also like Daan Jippes and Al Taliaferro (yes they DID draw Mickey!).
Robb_K

Postby Rockerduck » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:57 pm

Jan Gulbransson hasn't drawn a Duck-story in the last 20 years, if I'm correct!
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:37 am

Egg is VERY disappointed in Robb_K and Rockerduck, for being negative on Al Hubbard.

Al Hubbard's style looks like the xeroxography(?) of Disney animation movies of the time. Pencils were transferred directly into "ink", which gave the animators a lot of creative freedom. This style is used in 'Sword in the stone' up to 'The Rescuers', from early 1960s up to the 1970s. 'Robin Hood', one of my favorites is among them.
I think Fethry Duck works best in Al Hubbard's xerography-like style. No one can make such a great Fethry as Al Hubbard.

So, in short: Shame on you. Fethry-haters!
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 am

I apologise, Egg. I forgot to write part of my sentence when describing my feelings about the top two groupings. They were regarding those artists work with THE DUCKS, ONLY! I have no problem with Hubbard's Scamp, Chip N' Dale, and his other non-Duck and non-Mouse work. It's clear that he's an accomplished artist. It's just a matter of what style people are used to. I grew up reading mostly Barks Duck stories in the late '40s and early '50s. So, that's how I like my Ducks to look. I don't like his Mickey Mouse universe, either.

I also can't stand Rosa's Duck drawings (although I like his scribbles. I'd rather see comic book stories printed with his unfinished scribbles. His inking stiffens his figures greatly. But, in addition, I don't like his layouts and perspectives and crowded panels and dark and heavy shading. Might as well have Robert Crumb drawing The Ducks. Also, his "sequel" stories seem very forced andunnatural to me. To me, his best stories are his short gag-run stories. But, I'm sure I'll make a lot of enemies on this forum because of my taste regarding Rosa.

But these opinions are only expressing my taste, not implying these artists aren't good artists (although I think most of the Disney artist were better at drawing than Rosa.

Some of the artists were good (to my taste) at drawing many of the very different characters. Daan Jippes is a good example of that. I like Paul Murray's Br'er Rabbit very, very much. His Mickey Mouse to me is okay, but not grerat. His Ducks are TERRIBLE to my taste! That's not to say it's "poor quality" art-just not the way I'd like to see The Ducks.

Taliaferro helped on the Mickey Mouse Strip for a few months in the late '30s. He did a GREAT job! He could draw both universes well.

Romano Scarpa was a GREAT artist. His Mouse Universe drawings are wonderful. He's right up there with the best after Gottfredson, as far as I'm concered. But I HATE his Ducks. They are so distorted. Again, it's just a matter of taste. Also, the backgrounds look like the Mouse Universe-NOT THE DUCK UNIVERSE! It's good art-but WRONG!!!

All of this is just because of fate, as I read Barks and Gottfredson first as a child. So THOSE are the ways I want to see The Ducks and Mice!
Robb_K

Postby Pedigreehunter » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:33 am

Robb_K wrote:I also can't stand Rosa's Duck drawings (although I like his scribbles. I'd rather see comic book stories printed with his unfinished scribbles. His inking stiffens his figures greatly. But, in addition, I don't like his layouts and perspectives and crowded panels and dark and heavy shading. Might as well have Robert Crumb drawing The Ducks. Also, his "sequel" stories seem very forced andunnatural to me. To me, his best stories are his short gag-run stories. But, I'm sure I'll make a lot of enemies on this forum because of my taste regarding Rosa.

But these opinions are only expressing my taste, not implying these artists aren't good artists (although I think most of the Disney artist were better at drawing than Rosa.

Enemies!@#$%% Rosa is all sensible cool kidz desire. Authentic Rosa make fading faulty barks reality. Rosa finished barks. Rosa king of shade. Robb_K are ol'fashioned hasbeen to havin old barks of faraway past.
Pedigreehunter

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:20 pm

The excessive detail in Rosa's work has always been irksome to me, but it used to be under control--some of his early stories, like "Nobody's Business," have clean and bright art compared to his more recent stories, in which every sweat bead, vein, etc., stands out. This art style, I think, distracts from the stories themselves--it's more like the style of the American Mad Magazine (a big influence on Rosa) than any Disney comic. Rosa's art is like Rosa's stories--too self-conscious, detailed, and "real" for its own good. Rosa has often expressed his disdain of people who regard the Ducks as "fantasy" creatures, but it seems to me that this is the only way they can be regarded. Rosa's treatment of them as living breathing humans who die, have sexual relationships, give birth (rather than laying eggs) strikes me as simply ridiculous. My Ducks live in their own Duck world, not the real world, and don't need all those sweat beads and all those "mortal" problems.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:34 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Rosa has often expressed his disdain of people who regard the Ducks as "fantasy" creatures, but it seems to me that this is the only way they can be regarded.

How can such a disdain on fantasy creatures survive with Disney comics? What do editors say of it? Don't they have a responsibility to keep Disney comics on the track?

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Rosa's treatment of them as living breathing humans who die, have sexual relationships, give birth (rather than laying eggs) strikes me as simply ridiculous.

Point is that Rosa defends this as normal, as if the rest of the world is crazy.

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:My Ducks live in their own Duck world, not the real world, and don't need all those sweat beads and all those "mortal" problems.

I fullu agree with you. I think the suggestive announcements of Rosa's new sell-out 'Prisoner of White Agony Creek' is disturbing. Ro$a's self-promotion sounds as $elling out Carl Barks, more than ever. I hope it has opened the eyes of a lot of Rosa fans, now they get in the corner of nasty people who lurk at sexual ducks under the melting snow.

- - - - - - - - - -

Finlay: Do you have anything new our readers should be looking out for soon?

Rosa: Um... maybe they'd want to watch for when Gemstone gets a chance to use the last story I sent to Europe, being a very special new episode of "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck" the series that's won awards around the world, including one of those Eisners. An ad line for this episode might read "at last -- the whole story of what happened between $crooge and Glittering Goldie during that lost month in 1897 alone in a cabin on White Agony Creek". Be there. Aloha.

- - - - - - - - - -
source: Mid-Ohio-Con Week: Don Rosa. By Gearalt Finlay
http://forum.mcduck.nl/viewtopic.php?pid=33477#p33477
- - - - - - - - - -
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:44 pm

Don Rosa wrote:Um... maybe they'd want to watch for when Gemstone gets a chance to use the last story I sent to Europe, being a very special new episode of "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck" the series that's won awards around the world, including one of those Eisners.

Rosa is said to be against self-promotion. But what is this? Where's the love for Barks?

Don Rosa wrote:An ad line for this episode might read "at last -- the whole story of what happened between $crooge and Glittering Goldie during that lost month in 1897 alone in a cabin on White Agony Creek". Be there. Aloha.

Sounds as if Rosa has finally converted himself into the great Barks. We can keep the Rosa and throw the Barks away.
Rosa = Barks

If Rosa says a Barks story is crap, then it's crap. Remember classic 'The Magic Hourglass'? As if Barks commited a crime, so happy Rosa seems to be that he slammed down this classic story. As one of many other examples.
Because, if Rosa doesn't understand Barks, which is quite often the case, then he just scraps it. Rosa invents rules to scrap Barks. Is Rosa a true fan or is he just an adult collector leisurely cashing in on Barks?

In King Scrooge the first (1967) where Barks only did the story and plot (it was drawn by Tony Strobl), Scrooge is said to be a descendant of an ancient king (King Scrooge-Shah of Sagbad) who lived in Sagbad (a Barks-gag based on the name Bagdad) somewhere in the Middle East around 2000 years BC. The link to the Middle-East is also followed up in the Italian 8-part series Storia e gloria della dinastia dei paperi (The glorious history of the Duck Dynasty) which was first published in 1970. In this series with plot and story by Guido Martina and art by various artists as Giovan Battista Carpi, Giorgio Cavazzano and Romano Scarpa, the McDucks/Ducks leaves Egypt and goes to Rome. From Rome they continue to Caledonia (Scotland). However when he did the Duck Family Tree, Don Rosa decided to ignore "King Scrooge the first" and all other links to the Middle-East. He says: "Well, I thought the story was a bit lame and signaled that the man was a bit weary of writing. And I would have had trouble linking $crooge's family, which might have come to Scotland from Norman France and to Norman France from Norway, to relatives in the extremely distant Mid-East, and didn't like the idea of trying -- those are not nationalities that I would want in these Duck's ancestry. Anyway, it was my decision to include that among the various Barksian facts that I choose to dismiss and/or ignore, such as the Magic Hourglass and so forth."
http://duckman.pettho.com/mcduck/history.html
Egg

Next

Return to Other creators