Other than Barks, which Disney comic artist do you like best

Santiago Ceballos, William Van Horn, Paul Murry, Don Rosa, etc.

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:38 pm

Egg is going to smash himself on Rockerduck's face for making the Doctor afraid. :lol:

(Egg loves to laugh about his own jokes.)
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:40 pm

Egg wrote:Don't you read the articles and messages about stories of Barks being bad, having bad days, making lame stories, etc.? You can't mean you've forgotten that. There's a lot of (too) hard criticism on Barks.

A handfull of e-mails on a mailing list by one artist and some of his 'followers' doesn't qualify as 'the media'. The way you bring it, it's like Barks is constantly bashed in magazines, on television, by 'experts' and colleages, to no end. That's an over-exaggeration.

Egg wrote:Really?!? Was it you? May I have your autograph then? :D

Maybe... If you're good.
Rockerduck

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:42 pm

No, Doctor Witchie Britchie isn't afraid--just didn't want to make Rockerduck leave. Anyone who says Doctor Witchie Britchie is afraid will have to drinkee wig roaches dipped in greasy kid stuff! Doctor Wichie Britchie might startee new thread to talk about Rosa vs. Barks, so not to ruffle Rockerduck's feathers.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:43 pm

Rockerduck wrote:A handfull of e-mails on a mailing list by one artist and some of his 'followers' doesn't qualify as 'the media'. The way you bring it, it's like Barks is constantly bashed in magazines, on television, by 'experts' and colleages, to no end. That's an over-exaggeration.

No, it isn't.

Rockerduck wrote:
Egg wrote:Really?!? Was it you? May I have your autograph then? :D

Maybe... If you're good.

I'll do everything for a Rockerduck-autograph. Egg will try to be an angel. :D
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:44 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:No, Doctor Witchie Britchie isn't afraid--just didn't want to make Rockerduck leave.

:lol:

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Anyone who says Doctor Witchie Britchie is afraid will have to drinkee wig roaches dipped in greasy kid stuff! Doctor Wichie Britchie might startee new thread to talk about Rosa vs. Barks, so not to ruffle Rockerduck's feathers.

A True Barkslover starting a Rosa-topic.... (shudder!)
Egg

Postby Alberto Vermicelli » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:45 pm

Ello Friends and Friendinnetjes,

Mie Alberto ies back. Iek must excuse mie first for bad Anglais. I died speed cursus LOI Anglais ien thrie days. Iet ies really awesome, mie Anglais ies almost as good as natieve Anglais speaker. But let wie go back to topique.

I doent have favourite artist, however mie mum always carves Doenald Doek out of Pumpkin when iet ies Halloween, she ies verie talented at thet. I told her toe go toe Disney Redakski van Doenald Doekski. But hoen rejected iet because they didn't nied pumpkin carvings from Doenald Doekski, can joe understend? Me don't.

Her name ies Ma Vermicelli, so ief joe ever see pumpkin carvings in Doenald Doekski joe know who died iet.

Greetiengs from Italion,

Alberto Vermicelli

(famoes opera singer(look me up ien google)
Alberto Vermicelli

Postby Rockerduck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:50 pm

Egg wrote:
Rockerduck wrote:That's an over-exaggeration.

No, it isn't.

Yes, it is. In every respectable media source, Barks is *always* portrayed as a genius, as a sort of God who did so many wonderfull things for the Duck universe. That's something virtually all Duck fans agree on. There are more websites than I can count which praise Carl Barks and his world. There are only a few negative messages, so to say 'the media is bashing Barks' is indeed a grave over-exaggeration.

Egg wrote:I'll do everything for a Rockerduck-autograph. Egg will try to be an angel. :D

Then you'll have to agree with me on everything.
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:04 pm

Rockerduck wrote:In every respectable media source, Barks is *always* portrayed as a genius, as a sort of God who did so many wonderfull things for the Duck universe. That's something virtually all Duck fans agree on. There are more websites than I can count which praise Carl Barks and his world. There are only a few negative messages, so to say 'the media is bashing Barks' is indeed a grave over-exaggeration.

There are many writers, amateur and "professional", who just love Barks for a very limited amount of stories, bashing a lot of his other work. Saying someone is a "genius" is an easy throw-away remark. Barks was a unique man on his own, and I like the spirit he put in almost every work he did. Drawings, writings, etc. It has a certain internal wisdom. And a lot of people fail to see that inner wisdom and so they just parrot about "geniusses", not knowing wha it's really all about.
Barks's career lasted more than 60 years. Those 25 years of comics were just a part of that. But often I see that people mostly focus on 1948-1952, which is only about 5 years of the more than 60 years. How can such a fan talk about a "genius" then, if Barks only made a relative small percentage of good stuff and a lot of bad stuff?

Rockerduck wrote:
Egg wrote:Egg will try to be an angel. :D

Then you'll have to agree with me on everything.

Okay. Deal. This means I have to convince you on everything, to get to that point. :D
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:42 pm

By the way, I'm sad to see the Dutch forum and the Offtopic-forum remain quiet and empty, since this forum was installed.
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:15 pm

This worldwide International McDuck Forum started up during Easter weekend. Here are also very relatively few commenting visitors, looking at it worldwide. Some of us just have a lot to tell each other, now they can reach each other here.
English is understandable for much more people. Alberto Vermicelli is right when saying that the Dutch McDuck is limited for discussing internationally
The Netherlands are a small part of the world, as can be seen by the few speakers between the Dutch borders from time to time, like now. I think both versions will benefit from each other. I'm quite happy about it.
At the moment I'm silent there because busy and excited trying to raise subjects to give the International Forum a flow. So that's why I'm not commenting much in Dutch now. And as there are few visitors now, there's little new to comment to. Older Dutch subjects can wait for me as the Dutch McDuck already is a solid institute.
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:17 pm

But hey! This is the wrong topic for that, Rockerduck. :rolleyes: You... you... lured me into it! ;)
Egg

Postby Stephan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:also agree that the ridiculous controversy surrounding the classic Magic Hourglass is entirely Rosa's doing. When the story was reprinted recently in this country, Gemstone felt obliged to put a framing sequence around the story--making it a campfire yarn told by Louie--in order to avoid the angry reactions of Rosa fans who call Hourglass an "imaginary story."

That's completely ridiculous! Changing a Barks story because of whatever Rosa fans mght think about it.
But that's not all Don Rosa's fault. Of course, he shouldn't say these things in public about Barks' work being fictional fiction etc. but I don't think he had the intention to get a Barks story screwed up.
I actually don't mind it very much whenever Don Rosa ignores a Barksfact, or whatever, it's his choice. But I don't like it when it really has influence on Barks' work.

Robb_K wrote:But, I'm sure I'll make a lot of enemies on this forum because of my taste regarding Rosa.

Like Rockerduck says, of course everyone free to say what he thinks or feels. I like Don Rosa's work very much. I don't always like what he says about Barks as a man or about his work.

Egg wrote:Come on, have a big laugh when talking about our idols, to a certain extent. That's helps to relativate matters. (Also up to a certain extent, of course.)

Well, I can't laugh about Rosa-bashing no more, I actually never did. You wouldn't laugh too, if I started posting hundreds of posts about how bad Lennearth Nijgh is, would you?

Hey, maybe it's an idea if someone invites Don Rosa to join this topic. If he's able to defend himself in person, it's a much more intresting and fair discussion, I think.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:56 pm

Stephan wrote:Well, I can't laugh about Rosa-bashing no more, I actually never did. You wouldn't laugh too, if I started posting hundreds of posts about how bad Lennearth Nijgh is, would you?

I would really love it. Really. I believe his work can easily survive that. But what's the point?

Stephan wrote:Hey, maybe it's an idea if someone invites Don Rosa to join this topic. If he's able to defend himself in person, it's a much more intresting and fair discussion, I think.

Hey. It's a fair discussion already, Stephan. Don't be ridiculous.
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:09 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:I also agree that the ridiculous controversy surrounding the classic Magic Hourglass is entirely Rosa's doing. When the story was reprinted recently in this country, Gemstone felt obliged to put a framing sequence around the story--making it a campfire yarn told by Louie--in order to avoid the angry reactions of Rosa fans who call Hourglass an "imaginary story." Simply ludicrous!

Please. Say it ain't so. This is a joke? Is that the reason why William Van Horn (was it him?) made that frame. Does it really turn 'The Magica Hourglass' into a cheap soap story?

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Many other of Barks' stories--including one of Carl's personal favorites, Island in the Sky--have been given the status of "imaginary" stories because they violate the timeline set up by Rosa.

Exactly my opinion. Rosafans who claim to be Barksfans should be aware of this. Rosa twists Barks.
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:20 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Incidentally, it's easy to connect the Scotch Highlander McDucks to the Persian King Scrooge-Shah, despite what Rosa says in the remarks quoted by Egg above. There is evidence that the Gaelic Highlanders originally hailed from Miletus, on the Turkish penninsula (the Irish Gaels, ancestors of the Scotch Gaels, have always been known as Milesians). The Persian rulers of Bagdad (or Sagbad) live in the middle east, not far from Turkey. The Persians, like the ancient Milesians, were Indo-European peoples. What is more likely than that King Scrooge-Shah and his kin fled Sagbad after the sack by the Mongolduks and sought refuge with fellow Indo-Europeans in Miletus. After several generations, the royal Sagbadian line became blended with the Milesian nobility, and descendants of Scrooge-Shah sailed to Ireland with Eber and Eremon, the leaders of the great Milesian invasion. Later, the McDucks, a clan partly descended from Scrooge-Shah, crossed over to Scotland with many other Milesian families, and thus became a powerful Highland clan. Simple, eh? Are these the lines the Italians followed in the stories Egg mentioned?

Yippee. It looks like we have an English Keessie already! He's a guy who wrote on the Dutch forum that Xanadu doesn't fit with Trala La. What do you think of that Rosa-sequel, Britchie?

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:I recall Rosa's claim that he couldn't use Bolivar in a story since he wasn't allowed to introduce him as a new character and since he would NEVER pretend Bolivar had been a member of the Duck household all along--another preposterious statement. If Barks had been totally unwilling to introduce characters and pretend that they had existed all the time, he would never have created Gyro, Gladstone, Scrooge, the Beagle Boys, and I don't know how many others. Rosa has been called imaginative, but in this as in other matters he shows a deplorable lack of imagination.

Exactly.
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Other creators