Don Rosa's Life And Times Of Scrooge

Santiago Ceballos, William Van Horn, Paul Murry, Don Rosa, etc.

Postby Mooseneck » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:26 pm

Part of Silver Bullet Comics (SBC) interview Mid-Ohio-Con Week: Don Rosa
Wednesday, November 16, 2005. By Gearalt Finlay.

Finlay: Do you have anything new our readers should be looking out for soon?

Rosa: Um... maybe they'd want to watch for when Gemstone gets a chance to use the last story I sent to Europe, being a very special new episode of "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck" the series that's won awards around the world, including one of those Eisners. An ad line for this episode might read "at last -- the whole story of what happened between $crooge and Glittering Goldie during that lost month in 1897 alone in a cabin on White Agony Creek". Be there. Aloha.

Scenes from The Prisoner Of White Agony Creek

Scrooge: "Okay... Let's get on with it! Between the legs!"
Goldie: "I beg your pardon?!"
Scrooge: "Er... The way to White Agony Valley is between the mammoth's legs! Get going!"
Goldie: "Hmph!"

court: "Based on careful deliberation (and many years of experience with life) it is the verdict of this court that what's going on in that cabin is NOT a hangin' offense in Langtry, Texas -- or anywhere ELSE! Thank GOSH!"
Mooseneck

Postby Stiff neck » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:19 pm

Ha, this is a 'standing' offence.
Stiff neck

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:09 am

It will be interesting to see what reaction this story meets with in Europe and America. I can't believe that Rosa was so tasteless as to include the above off-color scenes (the "between the legs" line and Judge Roy Bean's speech) in a Duck comic, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. There have been signs of the direction in which Rosa was tending for a while--his continual insistence that he doesn't write for children and his vision of the Ducks as humans living inside "our bourne of time and space" are just two of the signs. Will readers feel (as I do) that Rosa has overstepped the bounds of good taste this time, or will they still go praise this story to the skies? It should be interesting to see what happens.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:44 am

I thing the "Between the legs" double entendre is very "out of place" in a Disney comic. It just pulls me out of the story, and makes me dwell on wondering why he did it. I think it was a mistake, and certainly will be changed in translation in some countries.
Robb_K

Postby Iron Doll » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:52 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:It will be interesting to see what reaction this story meets with in Europe and America.

The Prisoner Of White Agony Creek: story rated 8.2/10 with 2 votes
http://coa.inducks.org/s.php/x/D+2005-061
Iron Doll

Postby Stephan » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:53 am

"Scrooge: "Okay... Let's get on with it! Between the legs!"
Goldie: "I beg your pardon?!"
Scrooge: "Er... The way to White Agony Valley is between the mammoth's legs! Get going!"
Goldie: "Hmph!""

This part is awfully suggestive. I can't believe my eyes.
I used to believe Don Rosa was old and wise enough to know what kind of jokes to make in a Disney comic, and when I read scenes that are on the edge, I used to relevate them. But this is tasteless indeed. This story will be readed by millions of young Disneyfans. Not to speak of older Disneyfans.
For the first time, I'm really dissapointed in Don Rosa. He doesn't only destroys his own reputation, he destroys Scrooge's reputation too.
Don Rosa shows us what's really going on in his head.

Maybe Thom Roep thinks it's actually funny. He can make the same kind of remarks which make me wonder why he even has an important job in the Dutch Disney-world.

Doctor Witchie britchie wrote:Will readers feel (as I do) that Rosa has overstepped the bounds of good taste this time, or will they still go praise this story to the skies? It should be interesting to see what happens.

Well, I think Don Rosa messed this story really up.
I thought the 'melting snow' line was just a joke, but it appears Don Rosa was serious about it. It makes me doubt about all the other times when I believed Don Rosa. I.e. the way he talked himself out of the fact that he said he would never write a story about this month in Agony Creek.

Robb_K wrote:It just pulls me out of the story, and makes me dwell on wondering why he did it.

Indeed. Should we, according to Don Rosa, laugh about it, or is it provocation? I rather think it is a drama.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Rockerduck » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:51 pm

Oh my GOD! I can't even believe Rosa actually did this!! Well, of course I can, knowing it's him, but I meant it as a figure of speech.

I'm so disgusted by him and his work. This is the single saddest piece of crap he's ever produced. Why oh why did his 'good friend' Byron Erickson ok'ed this? Didn't Disney have some standards of quality and... I don't know... dignity?

I'm fed up with Rosa. I don't want to read the Agony-story.
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:03 am

I'm very disappointed in Byron for allowing that. If I write a legitimate story on Scrooge's history, and the contents conflict with Rosa's "history", mine gets REJECTED. Yet they accept titillating sexual double entendre from him (which will surely anger parents and hurt Disney's image) without batting an eye. How can they justify such a policy?
Robb_K

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:47 pm

I hate to sound cynical, but it's probably because Rosa's name on a story guarantees multiple sales of said story, no matter how bad the story is.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:I hate to sound cynical, but it's probably because Rosa's name on a story guarantees multiple sales of said story, no matter how bad the story is.

Which leads to the question: WHY does Rosa's name on a story guarantee multiple sales of said story?
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:08 pm

Because he's (unfortunately) the most popular Duck artist alive. His fans--in the U. S. of A., Norway, and Finland in particular--seem to as numerous as sands on a beach. To them he can do no wrong. That's why I'm wondering if the tastlesness of this story will actually disenchant those Rosa-worshippers or if they'll still keep on singing his praises.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Unfortunately, I doubt that his mistake in that story will disenchant even one of his ardent fans. He draws The Disney Ducks as Robert Crumb would. Now he decided to write his Duck stories as Robert Crumb would. Isn't that ironic? It would be funny, except for the fact that I resent Egmont's staff for allowing it in print, and for my jealousy regarding his status versus that of peons like me. I also cannot laugh at it because I care about Disney's image, as a decent portion of my income is derived from that source. I didn't inherit a business from my father, so I could afford to be casual about my story production.
Robb_K

Postby Ridder ter Geit » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:46 am

There is something in his stories which appeals to lots of people. Something about the underground way of drawing. Though Barks stories are more beautiful and worth to reread over many years, I doubt Rosa's stories will be.
Ridder ter Geit

Postby Egg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:25 pm

2006-10-20, Iron Doll wrote:The Prisoner Of White Agony Creek: story rated 8.2/10 with 2 votes

story rated 7.7/10 with 7 votes
http://coa.inducks.org/s.php/x/D+2005-061
Egg

Postby Egg » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:34 pm

Egg wrote:WHY does Rosa's name on a story guarantee multiple sales of said story?

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Because he's (unfortunately) the most popular Duck artist alive. His fans--in the U. S. of A., Norway, and Finland in particular--seem to as numerous as sands on a beach. To them he can do no wrong. That's why I'm wondering if the tastlesness of this story will actually disenchant those Rosa-worshippers or if they'll still keep on singing his praises.

Has someone (except Don Rosa himself) really counted those many fans being "as numerous as sands on a beach"? So far I can only recall Don Rosa himself bragging on DCML, how popular he is supposed to be.

Are all those "fans" really aware that they're counted as Don Rosa fan? When going the a convention, people mostly have to deal with the guest artists the editor has chosen for the event. In that way, Dutch artists like Daan Jippes, Mau Heymans, Bas Heymans can also claim that they have many, MANY people waiting a long time for a drawing and an autograph. People think "Hey! A Disney artist!" and want to have a duck or a mouse to show off at home.

Don Rosa has said that in the USA there isn't much Disney comics fandom in contrary to Europe. Maybe Don Rosa overestimates himself and thinks that the European people are waiting for him to come, while almost all of the people would have come to the event anyway. With or without a guy named Don Rosa.

In Europe, the ducks and mice characters are well known. Disney creators themselves, however, are only known for freaks and for people who get the credits presented in their comics.
For example, Barks's work is famous in The Netherlands. Barks himself, on the contrary, is almost anonymous. (Despite being credited in the album series.)

On the Dutch forum someone joked by writing a Rosaïsh report about an event. Which showed how easy it is to lóók famous.
A writer could claim that there were thousands of people attending. Thousands of people! But were those people aware that some editor bombed someone a special guest? At comic book events I often hear about special guests, whoever they are.

And where are those fans on internet? Maybe Don Rosa benefited from the rise of internet? Rosa was one of the few that could be easily reached. Nowadays I get the feeling that fans care little about internet or Rosa or whatever other artist. Only the freaks remain, as always.

Look at COA, where only 7 votes have been given to Rosa's new story so far. Where are all those thousands of fans? In Rosa's cellar?
Egg

Next

Return to Other creators