Don Rosa's Life And Times Of Scrooge

Santiago Ceballos, William Van Horn, Paul Murry, Don Rosa, etc.

Postby Ridder ter Geit » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:27 am

Someone with such a big head should be laughed at or ignored. That might teach him some humbleness. I wish he took an example of Carl Barks, since he seems to be such a fan. Thanks for posting this, Flintheart. Now I know not to let Don Rosa get near my comic books.
Ridder ter Geit

Postby Rubberduck » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:21 am

What's really sad, is that crooks and liars like Rosa get all the attention and readers believe him when he says Barks did this-or-that wrong. :(
Rubberduck

Postby Egg » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:44 am

Email taken from the Disney Comics Mailing List, about Don Rosa and Tony Strobl:

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:51:44 -0500
Subject: RE: Don Rosa Strobl US#50?
To: "Timo Ronkainen"
Cc: dcml

Here's Timo:

"In his introduction to the first episode of The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck Don says:
'I regard any $crooge tale not written by Barks to be apocryphal. However in UNCLE $CROOGE #50 there was a story drawn by Tony Strobl which showed a young $crooge earning his first dime by cleaning a ditchdigger's boots.'
"Yet I can not find such story in US 50, as I search the Inducks. Has Don done some typo or other error there?"

Here's Germund:

"It should be [S 63099], but now I see in Inducks that one page is apparently cut from the US versions... Someone could perhaps check again."
And here's Harry:

"Don was mistaken. The story is "The Invisible Intruder" in Uncle Scrooge #44. Written by Vic Lockman."

Now here's me:

Don was correct. The story is indeed the Strobl-drawn S 63099, "Chairman of the Bored"/"Getting That Healthy Wealthy Feeling," published in the USA in US 50.
On page 3 of both the original S-coded version and the cut USA version, you *do* see young Scrooge shining the ditchdigger's shoes and earning his dime. "When he pressed that dime into my sweaty little palm, I was the happiest young duck in the world!"
The page that was cut out in the USA edition comes from later in the story and has no effect on the dime-earning sequence.

"Invisible Intruder" does show young Scrooge shining shoes as well, but has no bearing on the actual earning of the dime. Don's text was correct.

Best, D

------------------------------
Egg

Previous

Return to Other creators