Toonder Studio and Carol Voges

Santiago Ceballos, William Van Horn, Paul Murry, Don Rosa, etc.

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:37 pm

A topic to discuss Disney comics in general.

edited: changed subject to make the topic more specific
Last edited by Egg on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:53 pm

Topic 'Welcome', Rockerduck wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Hee! Wat bedoel jij??? CRAP??? Martin Toonder and Toonder Studios produced a lot of good art and stories! Carol Voges was a great artist (admittedly better for human figures than funny animals. But NO ONE implied that we should have been satisfied with ONLY their work!

When talking about the Toonder Studio's, I mean their work for the Dutch Donald Duck Weekly. I'm not too familiar with their other work, so I'm not giving a judgement about that. But the Disney-stories from the Studio, I never liked. Their Hiawatha was nothing like the character from the Disney cartoon. Hiawatha is supposed to be a little infant, not the pre-teen he looked like in the stories put out by the Studio. Their Big Bad Wolf wasn't too bad, but the stories were kinda lame and predictable.

I like the atmosphere of the Toonder Studio stories for the weekly. I think it marks a golden age of Dutch comic book history. I like the charity ladies club in the Wolf stories, which I sorely miss nowadays. I think it would be nice if Bernado would revive those characters, like the sheep lady playing keyboard. I wonder she might have inspired a Dutch Bavaria-commercial from the early 1990s, with an annoying keyboard-playing lady? :)

Rockerduck wrote:I much rather read a Wolf story by Carl Buettner (sp?).

I like them too. But aren't those often predictable then, given your comment on the stories by Toonder Studio?

Rockerduck wrote:Carol Voges was dramatically bad. My personal taste, but I've never encountered someone who liked Voges before.

I like Carol Voges Duck stories a lot. Like Al Hubbard, they're different but very professional and unique.

Rockerduck wrote:When reading his stories, I always thought the magazine was so hopelessly in need of cartoonists, they hired the first one they could get their hands on, no matter how bad he was.

I'd be very surprised if that would be the case. It would be an insult to Carol Voges.

Rockerduck wrote:Nothing wrong about the dead, but his artwork, I never liked. I always get a headache looking at his drawings.

That's a matter of taste.

- - - - - - - - - -
Rockerduck-quotes are taken from:
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopi ... d=175#p175
- - - - - - - - - -

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Egg on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:54 pm

Egg wrote:
Rockerduck wrote:I much rather read a Wolf story by Carl Buettner (sp?).

I like them too. But aren't those often predictable then, given your comment on the stories by Toonder Studio?

Sure they are, but the drawings make that bearable. Good drawings can save a bad story. That's actually one of the things that made Branca so good: a lame story could be saved by his drawings.

Egg wrote:[about Carol Voges]That's a matter of taste.

All of the discussions on this forum are about a matter of taste. ;)
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:12 am

Robb_K wrote:I agree with you that Carol Voges' Duck and other Disney drawings were pretty weak. And, also, I agree that the Toonder Studios' Disney drawings for DD Weekblad were nothing to brag about.

Why? I'm clutched. Can you give an explanation?

Robb_K wrote:I should have realised that we should have been talking about only Disney work on this forum (not Panda, Thom Poes, Douwe Dabbert, and the like. This is what happens when people get old (like me, for example)!

Tom Poes and Douwe Dabbert are more or less Disney comics, having been made for the Dutch weekly.
Egg

Postby Egg » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:20 am

Carol Voges pictures taken from Dutch Lambiek-site:

ImageImageImageImage

Just explain to me as if I'm a five year old what's wrong with this. I simply fail to understand, it seems.
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:07 pm

It's butt-ugly, thats'what's wrong with it!
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:48 pm

Rockerduck wrote:It's butt-ugly, thats'what's wrong with it!

Is this all you can write? :(
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:37 pm

That's all explanation needed. ;)
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:43 pm

Rockerduck wrote:That's all explanation needed. ;)

What a lame answer.
Egg

Postby Stephan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:44 pm

I don't like the artwork very much either. It's very stiff and Gladstone and the nephews are out of perspective, I think. (Too tall?).
I don't know about Voges' stories, did he write his own stories?
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:51 pm

I like the crows very much. Maybe it's as what some people say about Ramon Bernado and Al Hubbard, that these artist are best in non-duck stories?
What I like about Voges art is that it's professionally done, with the blackening, etc.

I'm curious for Robb_K's comment, if Egg so free may be to lure him into this subject. :)
Egg

Postby Stephan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Indeed, the crows are well drawn.
But in my opinion his ducks just miss something very important. Maybe personality.
Whenever I read a story by Voges, I get disturbed by the art.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Robb_K » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Egg wrote:http://www.lambiek.net/aanvang/artefacts/voges/voges_dombo.jpg
I like the crows very much. Maybe it's as what some people say about Ramon Bernado and Al Hubbard, that these artist are best in non-duck stories?
What I like about Voges art is that it's professionally done, with the blackening, etc.

I'm curious for Robb_K's comment, if Egg so free may be to lure him into this subject. :)

Which comment?
Robb_K

Postby Stephan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:58 pm

Comment on Voges' work, his stories and art.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:59 pm

Robb_K wrote:Which comment?

I wonder what you think of the techniques of Carol Voges.
Egg

Next

Return to Other creators