Donald's pet dog Bolivar

character identification, ducks, mice, etc.

Postby Egg » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:58 pm

On the Dutch forum, on 2 November 2006, Robb_K has given two examples how to draw Donald's saint bernard dog Bolivar.

According to Robb's Dutch explanation, Bolivar consists of circles and egg-shapes.

Sources:
http://forum.mcduck.nl/viewtopic.php?pid=43923#p43923
http://forum.mcduck.nl/viewtopic.php?pid=43924#p43924
Egg

Postby Egg » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:36 pm

Gerd Syllwasschy in a May 2006 email quoted under topic 'Animated Barks', answering the question if 'Alpine Climbers' seems to feature the debut of Bolivar:
Well, this is probably a question of where to draw the line. The dog in the animated cartoon is certainly not *the* Bolivar as we know him (i.e., Donald Duck's pet dog), though he admittedly has a striking resemblance to the comic-strip dog, and it is highly possible that Al Taliaferro based his own design of Bolivar on this film (and/or the Silly Symphony cartoon "More Kittens" which I haven't seen yet).

There is another St. Bernard dog in the 1932 Silly Symphony "Just Dogs", see the attached screenshot. Think this is Bolivar? Maybe a younger and leaner one. ;-)
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopi ... 1635#p1635

Bolivar in 1932 Silly Symphony 'Just Dogs':
Click the image for a larger version.

2006-11-12, Robb_K wrote under 'Animated Barks':
Al Taliaferro stated in an interview, that he modeled Bolivar on his OWN family's dog (when he was growing up-I think?) He also said he modeled Grandma Duck after his Mother-in-Law. I also read that he modeled Donald's small car (313)-after a small roadster his parents had in the 1920s, with a rumble seat. But it was updated to a 1930s look for the strip.
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopi ... 1806#p1806

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Egg on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egg

Postby Rubberduck » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:40 am

Bolivar is dead. Donald ran over him with his 313.
Rubberduck

Postby Luuk » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:46 am

which story?
Luuk

Postby Rubberduck » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:22 am

Luuk wrote:which story?

Bolivar being dead is only a theory that was given by Don Rosa in an e-mail of him tot DCML (Disney Comics Mailing List). Rosa never uses Bolivar. When people asked him why that was, he came up with this silly theory. I don't like it. First Rosa says that Scrooge McDuck has died in 1967, and now he says Bolivar is dead, too. It's all too sad.
Rubberduck

Postby Luuk » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:35 am

Okay
Luuk

Postby archangelos-popa » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:15 pm

Hello, guys!
What a nice forum.
archangelos-popa

Postby Robb_K » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:00 am

Rubberduck wrote:
Luuk wrote:which story?

Bolivar being dead is only a theory that was given by Don Rosa in an e-mail of him tot DCML (Disney Comics Mailing List). Rosa never uses Bolivar. When people asked him why that was, he came up with this silly theory. I don't like it. First Rosa says that Scrooge McDuck has died in 1967, and now he says Bolivar is dead, too. It's all too sad.

It seems Rosa doesn't like the old comics concept that characters in a comic strip setting can be unchanging and eternal. Maybe he secretly envies The Angel of Death! I hope he doesn't plan to kill off ALL the Disney characters (and then repopulate The Disney Universe with his own new characters)! When you attempt to pin down fantasy events to given dates in history, and continue to fill in that history, eventually, you seal up that history, so it is completed. I prefer to leave it ambiguous, so we can continue to have more and more new Uncle Scrooge and Donald duck stories for new kids and us oldies to enjoy (and write and draw)!

Vive Le Bolivar! Vive Le Messieur Scrooge!
Robb_K

Return to Disney characters