The best Mouse story + What makes a good Mouse story

character identification, ducks, mice, etc.

Postby Rockerduck » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:39 pm

H.H.F. wrote:The Copy-Cat Crimes (D D 2002-006 ) by Ferioli/Erickson is IMO good example of entertaining new Mickey-stories. Detective Casey hating Mickey's guts, good stuff.

Casey hating Mickey? Since when? :o
Rockerduck

Postby H.H.F. » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:09 pm

Rockerduck wrote:Casey hating Mickey? Since when? :o

Dawn of time?
H.H.F.

Postby H.H.F. » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:12 pm

... at least I've always interpreted it as hate, or jealousness. In any case Casey don't like the rodent. :-P
H.H.F.

Postby Rockerduck » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:42 pm

H.H.F. wrote:... at least I've always interpreted it as hate, or jealousness. In any case Casey don't like the rodent. :-P

I've *never* seen that.
Rockerduck

Postby pasoleati » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:04 am

Well, to be honest, I find this "new-Mickey" absolutely disgusting. Ferioli, Bernado et al are worst of the worst. Ferioli draws e.g. Mickey´s hands like he is suffering from some terrible disease causing them to blow out of proportions. The plots seem to best aimed at inmates of lunatic asylums or little kids who enjoy the utterly bad stuff like Ducktales.

The best Mickey stuff was done by Paul Murry (the best of the best), Scarpa, Massimo de Vita and Giovan Battista Carpi.

Someone mentioned Erickson/Cavazzano´s Dragonlords. When I first saw that, my first thought was how on earth has Disney sunk so low? Cavazzano´s isn´t no longer the master he used to be 15-20 yrs and Byron Erickson is a complete failure as a writer. I don´t know whom to thank but it shines a bit hope to know there are writers like Frank Jonker to compensate for the incredible awful writers like McGreals and Erickson.
pasoleati

Postby Rockerduck » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:33 pm

I especially like the Mickey new style. The Mickey Mouse from Murry, Bradbury et al. is boring, and terribly old-fashioned. Barks' Ducks are still fresh after that many years, but those Mickey's from the 1950's-1970's haven't stood the test of time. Often, I fall asleep when reading those stories. I'd rather watch grass grow for a full day. That's even more interesting.

But of course, I'd much rather read a story from Ferioli, who has brought new life and energy to the Mickey-character. Plus, the incredibly smart and clever writers, have returned Mickey to his roots. In Murry's and Bradbury's stories, he was a dull housefather or a noisy and irritating dtective. But now, in the hands of the new Egmont-creators, he is actually what he was when he began: an adventurer! The way Gottfredson, the master, had intended it. All hail for Egmont!

Also, I was very pleased to read the Dragonlords-story (although that's reakky off-topic, by the way). I was blown away by the complexity of the story and the characters. I have to say Byron Erickson is one of the best scripwriters for the Ducks. He keeps his stories, and also the Dragonlords, exciting and entertaining. It was incredible how he kept the Ducks perfectly in-character, while still introducing them to a new world. A world that was drawn very well by Cavazzano, the best Italian artist alive, who has created a magnificent fabtasy world in his well polished artwork.
Rockerduck

Postby Erick Cavaz » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:44 pm

Rockerduck wrote:Also, I was very pleased to read the Dragonlords-story (although that's reakky off-topic, by the way).

New topic: World of the Dragonlords

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Erick Cavaz on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erick Cavaz

Postby pasoleati » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:46 pm

"Old-fashioned"? If Mickey´s roots require him to behave like a "gangsta brothers" on dope, then I don´t need him. Better put the character out of the misery.

Murry is the best. These loony house inmates (=Ferioli et al) are an insult, an abhorrment on civilization. And Gottfredson´s a master? A master of drooling idiocy, tops.
pasoleati

Postby Rockerduck » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:00 pm

pasoleati wrote:And Gottfredson´s a master? A master of drooling idiocy, tops.

Oh, I see, you're just a troll, trying to stir up conflict.

Let me tell you that what I said about Gottfredson is not only my personal opinion, but an opinion that is widely shared by millions of Disney-fans. When you look at his stories, you can see how much he has done for Mickey. He adapted this cartoon character to the world of comics, and he created legendary characters like the Phantom Blot, and Sylvester Shyster, Mickey's best enemy in my opinion.

In Murry's stories, Mickey is far away from these roots. He's a boring detective that has to solve dull cases because the Mouseton police is too incompetent. Gone is the fantasy that was present in Gottfredson's stories, gone is the excitement in Mickey's comics. Be prepared to fall asleep after page 1.

Ferioli brings back the Gottfredson-Micke, who is *not* behaving like a "gangsta brother".
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:31 am

pasoleati wrote:"Old-fashioned"? If Mickey´s roots require him to behave like a "gangsta brothers" on dope, then I don´t need him. Better put the character out of the misery.

Murry is the best. These loony house inmates (=Ferioli et al) are an insult, an abhorrment on civilization. And Gottfredson´s a master? A master of drooling idiocy, tops.

Wow! Gottfredson -master of drooling idiocy???!!! Murry is the best!!! Murry didn't write the stories he drew. Gottfredson's great stories were written by Merrill De Maris and Bill Walsh, and a few others. I like the Murray serials in WDC during the '50s and early #60s, as well as the stories he drew for Mickey Mouse during that period. But I don't like his art much. In my estimation, it's not close to Gottfredson's penciling with Bill Wright Dick Moores or manny Gonzales inking. I also like that latter 3s' penciling a lot better than Murray's. I don't like the new Mickey Mouse stories. Ferioli's artwork is okay. But, I think that only Scarpa approaches the list above in drawing skill, and his stories in the '50s and '60s were great, too.
Robb_K

Postby copycat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:20 pm

- - - - - - - - - -

25-08-2006, 04:54:39, Duckster

My first post.....Ummm

To matter of Gottfredson, I've just discover him because you don't see his work in AKU ANKKA much and those large books from 70s are very expensive. But those stories that I've read are superb! His talent as artist and a storyteller is ashtonising. A lot more than just "funny animal". Especially "Mickey Mouse on Secret Mission", that I recently found from Internet is just...just. The feeling of great threat mixed up with one of the funniest humor bits in comic strip's history is just...just, well read it! I just bought "Mickey Mouse in Color" HC, but it's still in the mail. I hope it's satisfy my hunger...for a while.

Grew up with Murry, what can I say. They reprinted a lot his stuff in AKU ANKKA in late 80s/early 90s.
My first ever drawings were copied from Barks's Ducks and Murry's Mouse.

As for modern Mickey, if they even use half the effort to stories, as to art, things would be better.

Ooohh! Hi there, pasoleati! Long time no see!
Don't be too harsh on him you guys, he's much nicer than you think.

- - - - - - - - - -

25-08-2006, 05:02:23, Duckster

My first post onto wrong thread! It's mentioned to be on that Mickey Mouse-thread!
Sorry guys!

- - - - - - - - - -

http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?p=1443#p1443
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?p=1444#p1444

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by copycat on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
copycat

Postby Robb_K » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:32 am

I am saddened to hear that The Gottfredson Library will be postponed at least one year.
Robb_K

Previous

Return to Disney characters