The best Mouse story + What makes a good Mouse story

character identification, ducks, mice, etc.

Postby Rockerduck » Fri May 19, 2006 10:46 pm

What I think is GREAT Mickey art:
http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/D+D+ ... +Ferioli+_

Ferioli is a master in imitating Gottfredson's style, while still having his own style. I think his art is refreshing and sometimes just absolutely breath-taking. I really wish the Dutch editors would bring more of his work, instead of the endless reprints of Bradbury and Murry.
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Sat May 20, 2006 11:18 am

Based on THAT page, I don't think Ferioli's art looks ANYTHING like Gottfredson's, other than Detective Casey. From what I remember of Ferioli's Mouse artwork, I don't think it looks much like Gottfredson's at all. I think Manny Gonzales' Mouse artwork looks, by far, the most like Gottfredson, and Bill Wright's next (although his figures often look out of proportion). I really like Gottfredson's work from 1935-1953 or so, and little else (including his own work in other years, comes close. I could say the same for Barks from late 1947 through early 1952, or so. As for Ferioli's Ducks, I think they are no better than the run-of-the-mill Egmont artist.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sat May 20, 2006 11:23 am

I didn't mean to imply that Ferioli's Mouse artwork is not good. I place him 5th or so, after Gottfredson, Gonzales, Scarpa (at his best), and Wright. I forgot to list Scarpa above. At his height, his Mouse universe drawings were very close to Gottfredson's and Gonzales'. And he wrote his own long adventure stories, too! Fantastic! I wish many more of them would be printed by Gemstone (and I wish Sanoma Uitgevers would also publish them in album or some big book form).
Robb_K

Postby Rockerduck » Sun May 21, 2006 2:32 am

Maybe I should re-phrase what I meant to say: I think he puts in his work the spirit of Gottfredson's work, and also often the spirit of the early Mickey cartoons from the 1930's. Maybe this particular page isn't the best example of that, but there are many other examples. Unfortunately, not every story has a scanned first page on Inducks...
Rockerduck

Postby Rockerduck » Sun May 21, 2006 2:34 am

By the way, when you look at that Inducks-page, you'll see that the story is published in virtually every country that published Disney magazines, even the US, but not in... The Netherlands! :(
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Sun May 21, 2006 2:50 am

Rockerduck wrote:By the way, when you look at that Inducks-page, you'll see that the story is published in virtually every country that published Disney magazines, even the US, but not in... The Netherlands! :(

Yes! Apparantly Thom Roep isn't so enamoured of Egmont's rebirth of the classic Gottfredson-inspired new stories by David Gerstein and Stephan Petrucha and drawn by Noel Van Horn and Ferioli.
Robb_K

Postby ramapith » Sun May 21, 2006 5:42 pm

Hey Rob,

As honored as I was to be part of Egmont's "new Mickey" program, it didn't really originate with me. The first stories to put Mickey back in his shorts were Byron Erickson's doing; and while I sympathized 110% and acted as his second-in-command for awhile, I don't want to dismiss his relatively greater importance.
Byron edited Stefan Petrucha's, Don Markstein's, and Sarah Kinney's work in the crucial period from 1994-97. I took them over from 1998-2004. After I stopped editing at Egmont, Sarah became an editor in my place, while Byron and his colleague Maya Åstrup are back to handling the others. It's really a group project (and then there are other writers and editors who also work on classically-styled Mickey too, today).
ramapith

Postby Rockerduck » Mon May 22, 2006 1:01 am

While the Egmont-people are busy with all kinds of new, innovative ideas ('War of the Dragonlords' by Cavazzano, 'Formule 1' by Andersen, the new Mickey-style etc.) and while this is exported to and published in all German-speaking countries, all Eastern European states and France, we in Holland still are stuck with reprint no. 9655276 of an old Chip 'n Dale-story by Bradbury. It's just nof fair. :(
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Mon May 22, 2006 8:27 pm

The Dutch editorship haven't cared much for Mickey Mouse in recent years. But it would be nice to get the Noel Van Horn and Ferioli stories (by David Gerstein, Byron Erickson and Stefan Petrucha). And it would also be very nice to get ALL the classic Scarpa stories in a large format (not just a stray stopry in the pocketbooks).
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:44 pm

What makes a good Mouse story? Just random Bernado-examples from COA:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/F+JM+01218

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/D+99299

Need I see more about these eye-flattering examples that make us all silent in admiration?

Good news that the second example, 'Island of Dr. Morbid', has been published in the USA by Gemstone: Walt Disney's Comics (and Stories) #650
http://coa.inducks.org/issue.php/x/us/WDC+650

Wish I could see more of this. I'm tired of seeing the same old Gottfredsons over and over again. In Dutch productions there's also a good Mickey-artist, but these stories are mostly just 1 to 4 pages. What I miss are Mickey adventures, especially made for comics.
As Gottfredsons Mickey stories were intended for newspapers they don't really fit as good comic book stories, if only because the format is different.

I've heard that some Gottfredson stories contain loose ends because series were scripted when they were drawn and published. So, the writer forgets things or decides to have a different direction. Most newspaper readers forget those loose ends, not being able to read back what happened. When reprinting such a series as a comic book story, the reader can read back and so the loose ends get obvious, and as a result the story looks a bit chaotic.
Is this theory about Gottfredson true?
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:57 pm

Daniel73 wrote:[Bernado-examples from COA] Need I see more about these eye-flattering examples that make us all silent in admiration?

Yes, I need to see more. That's my point. :) What I meant was: Need I say more.

Another random example:
http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/D+2004-119

I find the colouring in this example too flat. The ship, the passengers and the sea having little contrast. But look at the art. The sea looks convincing as being a chaos of water, the swimming-pool on the ship, the passengers... Wow. I can't speak anymore. The excitement is getting too much. I'm having a severe case of Bernado-mania. I have seen the light: Bernado is the best Mickey-artist ever.
Daniel73

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:40 pm

No, Daniel, Bernado's Mickey-stories don't make me silent in admiration. I strongly dislike them. First of all, his Goofy looks to much as the Goofy you see on the Disney-merchandising, on the sweaters and mugs and whatever. The kind that always seems to be put in advertisements in Disney-comics, just like there are some Donald-images which are used over and over again each time, and placed in an advertisement about new comics books. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The 'standard' Goofy, the Goofy that looks as if he's pulled right out of the computer. Much too slick, much too cartoony.

His Mickey and Minnie are beareable, at most. But also they often look to cartoony. And the other characters, the extra's, look rather odd. I often get a headache when looking at his pages. But I'll give him one thing: his Mickey-comics aren't as terrible as his Duck-comics.

Let's just say this about Bernado: he's good at drawing Madam Mim, nothing more, nothing less.
Rockerduck

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:45 pm

Daniel73 wrote:I'm tired of seeing the same old Gottfredsons over and over again.

Don't forget the same old Bradbury's and Murry's!

Daniel73 wrote:What I miss are Mickey adventures, especially made for comics.

Obviously you have missed all Ferioli-comics the last years.

The most good Ferioli-stories haven't been published in Holland, yet, unfortunately.
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:32 pm

WB wrote:Mickey Mouse stories have a bad history of being tainted in the earlier days both in the states and overseas of bad writing and bad art, but its almost universally agreed upon that Gottfredson and ealy Scarpa are the best Mickey scribes around with nary a clunker in the bunch. So rather than all the duck talk I thought I'd ask:

What in your opinion makes for a GOOD Mouse story? What are the BEST of the BEST. And what do you think is the best Mouse story that you have ever read (that almost or does reach Barksian heights)? What do you think is bar-none the absolute WORST and is detrimental to crafting a Mouse story that leaves you both wowed and floored at the same time?

I think the best Mouse stories were mainly by Gottfredson, but many of the early Scarpa stories also were great. They were mysteries with a lot of suspense. Sure, it would have been better if Mickey could have been a more well-rounded character, but that problem was overshadowed by the great storywriting by Bill Walsh and Merrill De Meris, the great artwork by Gottfredson, Bill Wright and the '30s-'40s gang, and also the use of great villains, and the wonderful comedic relief from Goofy. Most of the newer Mickey stories don't pull together all those great elements (to my taste).
Robb_K

Postby H.H.F. » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:56 pm

The Copy-Cat Crimes (D D 2002-006 ) by Ferioli/Erickson is IMO good example of entertaining new Mickey-stories. Detective Casey hating Mickey's guts, good stuff.

Gottfredsson and Murry are of course good, but reprints are starting to bore me.
H.H.F.

PreviousNext

Return to Disney characters