The Disney Years

comics, books

Postby WB » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:03 am

What is your opinion of when Disney took over the American produced Disney comics from Gladstone and (as many say) "ruined the franchise" forcing them to return to it?

Did you like many of the comics that they did during thier tenure? What was your overall opinion of them? What were some things you liked versus things you didnt like? Do you agree with the statement that they ruined the comics brand here in America ultimately leading to the "second demise"?

Im rather of the opinion that the END of the Disney era was very good, but it took wading through a large amount of craptacular material and some truly mind boggling decisions to get there...
WB

Postby Rockerduck » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:23 am

I know how, when Disney took over, many artists went to work for Egmont instead. I believe Rosa has made one story directly for Disney; "The money well". I don't know anything about the comics that were produced/published in the US at that time.
Rockerduck

Postby WB » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:36 pm

Rockerduck wrote:I know how, when Disney took over, many artists went to work for Egmont instead. I believe Rosa has made one story directly for Disney; "The money well". I don't know anything about the comics that were produced/published in the US at that time.

"The Money Pit". I believe Gemstone recently reprinted it. :)

I would have switched too. One of the biggest no-no's I've heard was that artists were not allowed to keep copies of thier work (which is a policy that I dont think I've ever seen at any other company). That in and of itself made many others turn tail and run among other things. Many artists rely on the ability to sell thier original pieces and such at conventions to make extra money. I believe that William Van Horn was the only one who stayed on and even he ended up leaving at the end of the day.
WB

Postby Rockerduck » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:03 pm

"The money well" is a Barks-story. I mixed them up.
Rockerduck

Return to Disney comics