Don Rosa video interview

Santiago Ceballos, William Van Horn, Paul Murry, Don Rosa, etc.

Postby pryds » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:42 pm

Here's a 1:45 hour video interview with Don Rosa made in 2000. It's made by American Fievel A. Elliott and it was advertised on DCML at the time (the author would send out NTSC video tapes to anyone interested), but because of its length it has been virtually impossible to get it hosted anywhere on the Internet (either it was too big or the providers thought it was illegal movie distribution). Anyway, now Google Video has made it possible for anyone to view the interview: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3529446697
pryds

Postby jaen Stone » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:42 pm

WOUW!!!
ik hoor eigelijk John Brick te heten.
jaen Stone

Postby Rockerduck » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:02 pm

I've watched the interview for about 20 minutes, but after that I almost fell asleep, so I turned it off. Why did I almost fell asleep? Because the interviewer, the guy asking the questions, is a huge suck-up to Rosa. He's not the critical observer you have to have to make for an interesting interview. All his questions are introduced by endless compliments. And all the questions, and all the answers given by Rosa, I already knew. That information can be found on every fan-site on the Internet.

Is this the reason Rosa thinks he can say and do everything? He virtually gets no criticism, or only by one or two persons, who are then soon treated as outcasts by Rosa's fans?
Rockerduck

Postby Supergoof » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:29 pm

Rockerduck wrote:I've watched the interview for about 20 minutes, but after that I almost fell asleep, so I turned it off. Why did I almost fell asleep? Because the interviewer, the guy asking the questions, is a huge suck-up to Rosa. He's not the critical observer you have to have to make for an interesting interview. All his questions are introduced by endless compliments. And all the questions, and all the answers given by Rosa, I already knew. That information can be found on every fan-site on the Internet.

Is this the reason Rosa thinks he can say and do everything? He virtually gets no criticism, or only by one or two persons, who are then soon treated as outcasts by Rosa's fans?

In the comic circles I mengle with, Rosa gets a lot of criticism. And the dedicated Rosa-fans sometimes gets a hard time too, but only those who seems to be hard-core fans, in a way that makes you worry. I like some of his stories, and I think it is great that he is a fan of Barks, but his Lo$ stories should have ended long ago, IMHO.

/the goof
Supergoof

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:12 pm

Rockerduck wrote:I've watched the interview for about 20 minutes, but after that I almost fell asleep, so I turned it off. Why did I almost fell asleep? Because the interviewer, the guy asking the questions, is a huge suck-up to Rosa. He's not the critical observer you have to have to make for an interesting interview. All his questions are introduced by endless compliments. And all the questions, and all the answers given by Rosa, I already knew. That information can be found on every fan-site on the Internet.

I certainly think that this is true. There may be criticisms of Rosa among fans on the Internet, but I have NEVER EVER heard an "official" critical remark on him, from interviewers, media commentators, or editors. The man's work is treated with almost worshipful esteem by everyone he "officially" somes into contact with. Except for Geoffrey Blum, that is. But Blum is such a pain in the neck (at least in my opinion) that his dislike of Rosa doesn't hurt Rosa any.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Egg » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:53 pm

I think Don Rosa is misused, and that he's happy to be misused. After failing with Captain Kentucky (etc.), Rosa now finally feels adored by a world of happy "friends", like interviewers, media commentators, editors, and fans. Rosa's surrounded by people who need something from him. In that way, Rosa is buying friendship and appreciation, using internet as a platform.

Rosa is at his best when you think of him as a Santa Claus. I think that's how people desperately want to see him: as a surrogate-Barks.
When people like Blum or "Barks purists" get in the way, Rosa treats them as terrorists in his happy world full of friends. I think Rosa is scared to death that they get too much attention, because that would detoriate his profession as a (cough!) expert (cough!) surrogate-Barks. People might discover that Rosa's golden eggs are hollow and fake. Rosa sits on a throne and he wants it to keep that way.

Rosa's cross-references to his own stories and Barks's stories, flashback and sequels are a (commercial) stimulation to "collect em all". Rosa and (dead) Barks now advertise for each other.
Problem is that Rosa is stubborn and rules out 'The Magic Hourglass'. Something which was solved by having an editor and (ulp!) William Van Horn make a cross-over. Now all Rosaïsts can happily buy this Barks story again, without feeling embarrased to their hero Rosa.

There are kids wasting their lives on Rosa's weird and sick life-stories, thinking about fake events in fake years, Scrooge and Goldie going to bed with each other or not, about Scrooge dying in 1967 (long before most of them were born), about dead parents, about slime, about torturing Donald and Mickey.

And now cluthcy Egg falls into a trap by telling that, because these decriptions of sick and dying Disney Ducks only seem to make people interested. A Scrooge-duck going to bed with a Goldie-duck. In a Disney story. Unbelievable sensationial. Read all about it! Don't miss it!
Rosa's stories are used to keep the money rolling in. Just try to find a person acting as cheap as Rosa. Rosa is willing to selling his soul, just to get his way in becoming an idol appreciated all over the world. Just read Rosa's writings in which he descibes his so-called popularity. It is self-promotion at best. See for yourself. For free, on internet. Or maybe you want to wait for a book on Rosa, collected from DCML-quotes by a Finnish "friend" of Rosa. Just to emphasize how easy it is to make money by using Rosa as big business.

Personally, I look at Rosa as a person who acts as if he's one of us, one of the fans, but mostly as a way to attract more customers ("friends"). And as soon as his "friends" get critical, they are a pain in the neck like anyone else. I've seen that several times. If you want to stay a happy Rosaïst, just clap along and otherwise you'll be shown the door. And a lot of Rosaïst know this, and that's why they keep silent. Otherwise they might not get their desired drawing or autograph.

And how many people at conventions look at Rosa as just an example of just a Disney artist? Have people counted the fans and fan drawings of other artists?
Egg

Postby Ridder ter Geit » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:19 pm

How is it even possible for an interview to take THAT LONG???
Ridder ter Geit

Postby Supergoof » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:03 pm

Egg wrote:I think Don Rosa is misused, and that he's happy to be misused. After failing with Captain Kentucky (etc.), Rosa now finally feels adored by a world of happy "friends", like interviewers, media commentators, editors, and fans. Rosa's surrounded by people who need something from him. In that way, Rosa is buying friendship and appreciation, using internet as a platform.

[...]a surrogate-Barks.
When people like Blum or "Barks purists" get in the way, Rosa treats them as terrorists in his happy world full of friends. I think Rosa is scared to death that they get too much attention, because that would detoriate his profession as a (cough!) expert (cough!) surrogate-Barks. People might discover that Rosa's golden eggs are hollow and fake. Rosa sits on a throne and he wants it to keep that way.

[...]a (commercial) stimulation to "collect em all".

[...]Rosa is stubborn[...]Now all Rosaïsts can happily buy this Barks story again, without feeling embarrased to their hero Rosa.
There are kids wasting their lives on Rosa's weird and sick life-stories, thinking about fake events in fake years, Scrooge and Goldie going to bed with each other or not, about Scrooge dying in 1967 (long before most of them were born), about dead parents, about slime, about torturing Donald and Mickey.

[...]Rosa's stories are used to keep the money rolling in. Just try to find a person acting as cheap as Rosa. Rosa is willing to selling his soul, just to get his way in becoming an idol appreciated all over the world. Just read Rosa's writings in which he descibes his so-called popularity. It is self-promotion at best. See for yourself. For free, on internet. Or maybe you want to wait for a book on Rosa, collected from DCML-quotes by a Finnish "friend" of Rosa. Just to emphasize how easy it is to make money by using Rosa as big business.

[...]as soon as his "friends" get critical, they are a pain in the neck like anyone else. I've seen that several times. If you want to stay a happy Rosaïst, just clap along and otherwise you'll be shown the door. And a lot of Rosaïst know this, and that's why they keep silent. Otherwise they might not get their desired drawing or autograph.

Oh, come on now. This kind of talk sounds to me like a perfect example of someone who likes to hear himself speak. You can do better than this, mr. Egg.
Why not stick to criticizing his comics, instead of getting awfully personal, and attacking both the person and his fans?
Supergoof

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:50 pm

He does have a point, even I've got to admit that, no matter how much I hate that.
Rockerduck

Postby Prank » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:13 pm

What do you dislike? The fact that Egg is criticizing Rosa and fans or people criticizing Rosa's comics.
I did switch off the interview after half an hour as well and tried to scroll through the interview, but as said before the whole thing looks like a conribute to Rosa.The interview is far from objective or did I miss something important further up the interview?
Prank

Postby Stephan » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:37 pm

Rockerduck wrote:I've watched the interview for about 20 minutes, but after that I almost fell asleep, so I turned it off. Why did I almost fell asleep? Because the interviewer, the guy asking the questions, is a huge suck-up to Rosa. He's not the critical observer you have to have to make for an interesting interview. All his questions are introduced by endless compliments.

I totally agree. Only just the intro puts you to sleep.
It was cool to see Don Rosa really speaking, though, I've always wondered how the man behind those D.U.C.K.-comics would be in 'real life'.
But I don't really care anymore what he says or does. I still like most of his stories, but he doesn't deserves to be treated like some sort of god for that. I would like his work more if he just saw comic drawing as a nice job instead of a way to be as intresting as possible.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Kai Saarto » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:04 pm

Replying since I found that I´m directly mentioned.

Egg wrote:Rosa's stories are used to keep the money rolling in. Just try to find a person acting as cheap as Rosa. Rosa is willing to selling his soul, just to get his way in becoming an idol appreciated all over the world. Just read Rosa's writings in which he descibes his so-called popularity. It is self-promotion at best. See for yourself. For free, on internet. Or maybe you want to wait for a book on Rosa, collected from DCML-quotes by a Finnish "friend" of Rosa. Just to emphasize how easy it is to make money by using Rosa as big business.

Since you mention me as an Finnish "friend" it gives me a pretty clear idea about your identity. When throwing accusations at least have the courtesy of growing some balls and use your own name. Supergoof figured you out pretty well, I presume.

My work is a thesis for university, about "stardom" in Disney comics. It handles about problems that individual writist/artists like Rosa and Barks face when they use character copyrighted by others and how those copyrighted character affect to their popularity. Rosa is my prime example for being famous almost from the beginning of his career and my work is largely biographical because of that. I indeed use DCML-quotes from Rosa and other people as a source material. I'd be doing a huge professional error if NOT using such source material. I won't make any money out of it. Couple of copies will be loanable from uni´s library, perhaps I'll make a downloadable acrobat-file to share with those duck-fans that are interested. I wish I could make money out of that, those 2 years would have been much better spent moneywise delivering newspapers or cleaning toilets. If you want to accuse people for making money easily from Rosa, you'd do much better contacting a publisher. That's where the money is.

- Kai Saarto
Kai Saarto

Postby Rockerduck » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:03 pm

Kai Saarto wrote:Replying since I found that I´m directly mentioned.

Your name isn't mentioned in Egg's post.

Kai Saarto wrote:Since you mention me as an Finnish "friend" it gives me a pretty clear idea about your identity.

Don't guess unless you're 100% sure. What if you're mistaken?

Kai Saarto wrote:When throwing accusations at least have the courtesy of growing some balls and use your own name.

There's no rule on McDuck that says you have to use your real name. My real name isn't Rockerduck, but nobody has problems with me using it.

Kai Saarto wrote:Supergoof figured you out pretty well, I presume.

What's there to 'figure out'? It's a Disney-forum, for crying out loud! Who are you, the CIA?

Kai Saarto wrote:My work is a thesis for university, about "stardom" in Disney comics. It handles about problems that individual writist/artists like Rosa and Barks face when they use character copyrighted by others and how those copyrighted character affect to their popularity. Rosa is my prime example for being famous almost from the beginning of his career and my work is largely biographical because of that. I indeed use DCML-quotes from Rosa and other people as a source material. I'd be doing a huge professional error if NOT using such source material.

I wonder if you won't make the huge professional error of leaving out dcml-e-mails in which Rosa calls Barks his "evil genius" and more of that Barks-bashing. Is your work going to be complete and include also the negative Rosa-mails or just the rosy ones?
Rockerduck

Postby Kai Saarto » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:26 am

Rockerduck wrote:Your name isn't mentioned in Egg's post.

I am the only Finn doing such a work at the moment, certainly only one who has mentioned doing in it DCML.

Rockerduck wrote:Don't guess unless you're 100% sure. What if you're mistaken?

I read the forum enough to be sure. He mentions his likes, dislikes, favorite poet, specific posts he wrote to DCML or tried to wrote. Besides wild guesses is about the only thing Egg throws around here.

Rockerduck wrote:I wonder if you won't make the huge professional error of leaving out dcml-e-mails in which Rosa calls Barks his "evil genius" and more of that Barks-bashing. Is your work going to be complete and include also the negative Rosa-mails or just the rosy ones?

No such work will ever be complete, but yes, I it includes "evil genius". I will also include the story behind that, Carl Barks Studio ran by 2 individuals who were the people actually behind whole Barks vs Rosa thing. Rosa was misled, so was Barks. I include legal papers between Rosa and Grandey and some of the following heated discussion in DCML, then I continue with the meeting between Barks and Rosa that was made afterwards and cleared air between them, with mutual forgivings.
Kai Saarto

Postby Rockerduck » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:33 pm

You mean you are actually just going to write down that there was a happy meeting between Barks and Rosa and everything was over? You're not going to mention that it looks like Barks gave Rosa what he wanted, just so that Rosa would finally leave him alone and stopped writing attacks at him on dcml? Do you believe the drivel about that meeting, that has to pass for a objective report, but was nothing more than an advertisement for Rosa? Take Daan Jippes: he visited Barks years before, without ever having to nag about it or write nasty e-mails. You want to blame the two managers of Barks, like everybody else, but aren't they just scapegoats? What about Rosa himself? Barks said of Rosa's work: "I wish he hadn't done it" (or something to that extent). Barks had lots of praise for people like Vicar, and Jippes, and the Italian artists, but never for Don Rosa, don't forget that.
Rockerduck

Next

Return to Other creators