Reconstruction of the DCML archives

places related to Disney comics, etc.

Postby Daniel73 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:03 pm

The Disney Comics Mailing List started in August 1992 as a pioneer forum in discussing Disney comics on internet. This topic is both a tribute and an attempt to reconstruct the entire archive, from the beginning up to now, including the "lost" section.

Official DCML-archives

Currently archived complete years:
- August 1992 - December 1994
- January 2000 - July 2006
available at: http://nafsk.se/pipermail/dcml/
Dates are sometimes mixed up, as in "1970" and "2016"-files.

The current incarnation of the Disney Comics Mailing List is the third.
The first one (up to and including November 1995) is still archived.
available at: ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/comics/disney/archive/
The archives of the second incarnation are currently unavailable.

Member archives

August 1992 - December 1999
available at: http://mcduck.nl/archief/dcml/dcml_1995-2000.zip
Downloaded archive-files of August 1992 - June 1995, and email digests from a Dutch subscriber.
These email digests should be complete from 24 May 1995 up to 30 January 2000.

Corrections, additions, comments, suggestions, file-comparing, etc., are welcome.
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:48 pm

Advantage of the email digests in comparison to the third incarnation of the official archive, is that digests can be used to reveal wrong date-fields. At the official archive this can currently only be seen with obvious mistakes, like "January 1970", "January 1980" and "October 2016".
Therefore I think all the digests deserve to be archived. At least I can submit the years 2000 up to now. But I don't have dates before 24 May 1995 (ten-current 'Disney-comics digest #672').

My first original digest seems to be then-current 'Disney-comics digest #676', dated 28 May 1995. Preceding digests #672-#675 are forwards dated 27 May 1995, without original dates.

A problem with digests is that there are sometimes emails falling outside of the digest, only being sent as loose email to subscribers who opted for a real-time subscription.

In short there are at least three types of copies:
- loose emails
- digest collections of emails
- official archive
All versions should be exact the same, except for technical problems. For example, a current problem is email bodies being "scrubbed" from loose emails and digests. These email bodies are now only available at the official archives.
Daniel73

Postby pryds » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:26 pm

Actually, someone ought to write a piece of software that could take all these digests as input, "hack" them into pieces (while assigning approximately correct dates to the wrongly dated posts), and feed them to a database, which could then be searched through via a web page. I'd love to do it, but unfortunately I have only so little spare time at the moment. Perhaps in a few months, if no one else has volunteered in the meantime, and if there's a general acceptance of the idea.
pryds

Postby Sander » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:47 pm

Actually, I once started making such a program, but never finished it. An explanation and the source code is available at Creating SQL input from mailing list archives. If anyone wants to finish it, he or she is welcome. We could discuss too technical stuff in a new topic.

Now that I'm looking at the archives again, I don't see any credits to Daniël for collecting this downloadable archive! I probably was too excited to think about that, when uploading it. Would you like your name (+ email address?) to be mentioned at the download page and/or in the archive itself, Daniël?
Sander

Postby Daniel73 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:09 am

Sander wrote:Actually, I once started making such a program, but never finished it. An explanation and the source code is available at Creating SQL input from mailing list archives. If anyone wants to finish it, he or she is welcome. We could discuss too technical stuff in a new topic.

For starters, I would like to see the digests as individual files. A digest per page. Each digest gives an index on top, so I find them easy to browse through already.

The digests are output of DCML, a conversion of input. And people not always received the same digest, as a result.
For the individual emails you need the input-data of DCML. DCML already has a browsable interface using Pipermail. I guess this data should be ready for use as SQL-input.
http://nafsk.se/pipermail/dcml/

Sander wrote:Now that I'm looking at the archives again, I don't see any credits to Daniël for collecting this downloadable archive! I probably was too excited to think about that, when uploading it. Would you like your name (+ email address?) to be mentioned at the download page and/or in the archive itself, Daniël?

Credits are necessary for identification of the source. But I don't want the responsibilty for being the only online-source for digests. The emphasis should be that further investigation and comparison is needed to be certain of having all the data, compiled by more archeologists than only me.
For example, a double archive of (1) DCML-input and (2) digests, makes comparison and cross-checking possible.

I didn't know the download-page. Can you make a page that lists the available McDuck-sections? I get lost in searching and remembering them.

No email-address. I'd rather see communication on the forum about it. Emails bottleneck me. I have too many unanswered emails already. Mostly about subjects that should be mentioned online anyway.
Daniel73

Postby Cubic acres » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm

What is so important about these old digests? Why not just forget about them and think about the future.
Cubic acres

Postby punk » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:03 pm

There is no future!
punk

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:34 pm

Cubic acres wrote:What is so important about these old digests? Why not just forget about them and think about the future.

There can be no future without a past.
Rockerduck

Postby Daniel73 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Daniel73 wrote:Member archives

August 1992 - December 1999
available at: http://mcduck.nl/archief/dcml/dcml_1995-2000.zip
Downloaded archive-files of August 1992 - June 1995, and email digests from a Dutch subscriber.
These email digests should be complete from 24 May 1995 up to 30 January 2000.

Some files are missing from this member archive zip-file. These missing files are available online at ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/comics/disney/archive/.

Missing files:
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/comics/disney/archive/1995-07.gz
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/comics/disney/archive/1995-08.gz
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/comics/disney/archive/1995-09.gz
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/comics/disney/archive/1995-10.gz
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/comics/disney/archive/1995-11.gz
Daniel73

Return to Internet sites