Discussions on Daniel van Eijmeren

questions, corrections, complaints, suggestions

Postby Daniel73 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:42 am

Watch a cartoon...

Donald Duck, Ants, 1952
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1dcrGR4KfQ
Daniel73

Postby Cubic acres » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:40 am

Rockerduck wrote:Oh sure, make *me* the bad guy now...

You don't HAVE to react on every posting from Daniel, escalating conflicts.
And no, Cubic Acres is not Daniel.
Cubic acres

Postby Stephan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Daniel73 wrote:I have to make clear that Rockerduck and everyone else is right and that I'm wrong. Don't follow me. Stay with them. They know what's best for you. Throw away your guitars. Buy a CD.

You mean, that's actually what I should not do, because thorowing away my guitars means following your advice...
Anyway, I've bought quite a lot CD's lately. 'Stadium Arcadium' from the Peppers, 'Black holes and Revelations' from Muse, a live CD called 'Under a Blood Red Sky' from U2, 'Demon Days' (haven't had the time to listen to it yet, I've bought it today) from the Gorillaz and 'De Stijl' from The White Stripes'. And a DVD from U2, Live at Slane Castle (One of their best video's, I think. Much more atmosphere then at the 'Chicago'-live recorded concert).
I've also bought a new microphone, a samson Q1U dynamic USB, but it doesn't works (yet) with Cubase. I think I should download some sort of software called 'SoftPre' first, but that's currently under contsruction.
I'm also planning to buy an electric acoustic guitar, so that I can record acoustic sounds with Cubase. But I don't really know much about those instruments.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Rockerduck » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:11 pm

Cubic acres wrote:You don't HAVE to react on every posting from Daniel, escalating conflicts.
And no, Cubic Acres is not Daniel.

You don't HAVE to react on every posting from me, escalating conflicts.
Rockerduck

Postby Daniel73 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:52 pm

Stephan wrote:Anyway, I've bought quite a lot CD's lately. 'Stadium Arcadium' from the Peppers, 'Black holes and Revelations' from Muse, a live CD called 'Under a Blood Red Sky' from U2, 'Demon Days' (haven't had the time to listen to it yet, I've bought it today) from the Gorillaz and 'De Stijl' from The White Stripes'. And a DVD from U2, Live at Slane Castle (One of their best video's, I think. Much more atmosphere then at the 'Chicago'-live recorded concert).

Have you won the lottery? :) How is 'Stadium Arcadium'? I only know the hit-single with the video that contains imitations of rock-stars.
Of the other groups I like U2 the most. I haven't seen any of their DVDs. Not even 'Rattle and hum', of which I have the CD.

Stephan wrote:I've also bought a new microphone, a samson Q1U dynamic USB, but it doesn't works (yet) with Cubase. I think I should download some sort of software called 'SoftPre' first, but that's currently under contsruction.

Maybe you need a mixing-desk?

Stephan wrote:I'm also planning to buy an electric acoustic guitar, so that I can record acoustic sounds with Cubase. But I don't really know much about those instruments.

Me neither. Having heard your recordings, I think your instruments sound good already. Buying much instruments, especially as a beginning guitar player, tends to stray away from what music really is. I think sound should come out of the musician instead of the instrument. My suggestion would be to learn some basic musical theory, before you get fed up with buying guitars. The sound is in yourself. If you would invest in yourself rather than in instruments, you can be a very good guitar player on any guitar.

Recently I've began reading notes again. My intention is to write down notes first and then learn how to play them properly, before recording. (Which saves a lot of recording tricks.) What I still find difficult is repeating the same progression over and over again, throughout a song.

Mostly I'm just practicing on an old cheap acoustic guitar, which needs some effort and strength to be played properly. Mastering that guitar gives me more strength in my hands. It's almost like a sport. My guitar teacher disagrees with that, as he says guitars should be convienent and easy to play, also because it would be bad for the muscles (getting sour, as with sports). At the music shop, on the contrary, I was told by a guitar builder that he still has more power in his hands by having learnt playing on a cheap acoustic like mine.

Anyway, I certainly hope to hear more recordings from you. And later when you're famous, I can sell them as bootlegs. :D

Something else:
Do you know the CD 'Forever changes' by Love? (1967)

Love - Alone Again Or (2003)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wKRhxgGaXM
Live from the 2003 Arthur Lee-helmed reunion.
Daniel73

Postby Stephan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:16 pm

Daniel73 wrote:Have you won the lottery? How is 'Stadium Arcadium'? I only know the hit-single with the video that contains imitations of rock-stars.
Of the other groups I like U2 the most. I haven't seen any of their DVDs. Not even 'Rattle and hum', of which I have the CD.

I took over someones paper job for one month. It was really terrible getting up at four in the morning, but I shouldn't complain about that now I'm paid.
It's hard to review Stadium Arcadium, because I haven't got the time to get to know all songs as much as I want to, I just bought it. But with 28 songs there's got to be some good songs on it. Songs I really like so far are:
'Dani California', the first song on the album, the one you already know. Especially the guitarsolo sounds nice, somewhere near the end.
'Snow ((Hey oh))', the second song. The guitars sound great, melodic. I like Kiedis' singing in this song.
'Stadium Arcadium' has a great chorus, and I like the atmosphere in this song.
'Slow Cheetah' has an acoustic guitar that plays a really nice tune. The chorus is really affective.
'Especially in Michigan' is a good song, I like the part most that goes
"Cry me a future
Where the revelations run amok
Ladies and gentlemen
Lions and tigers come running
Just to steal your luck"

'Tell me baby', the second song on the second album. This song also has an videoclip, in which the Red Hot Chili Peppers play in a room where all kinds of people walk in and take their places. The guitarriff sounds very good, and the chorus is affective.
There're more songs I like, but I haven't listen't enough to really review them. Songs I don;t really like are 'Hump De Bump' and 'Warlocks', both for being to repitive.
I bought the album, as well as Muse's 'Black Holes & Revelations', for 11.50 euro, instead of the normal 20 euro, at a store in Den Bosch called 'The House Of Sounds'. That's a great store :P.

I think U2 is a great live band. Bono makes the shows always dynamic, and the band plays their songs live always at least as good as they do in the studio. After I've seen a U2 show I always feel like making music myself.
'Zoo TV' show live in Sydney will be released on DVD this year. The show contains the song in which Bono sings a duet with Lou Reed, 'Sattelite of Love', via a big TV screen. I've seen the first half, which was great.
I'm also waiting for the Vertigo-show live in Milan, recorded last year. One of the great things of the Vertigo-tour is that U2 opens their shows with some Boy-classics, like 'I Will Follow', 'Cry/Electric Co.' and 'An Cath Dub'. Too bad I was on a vacation in Spain when they played in the Amsterdam Arena last summer.
'Under a Blood Red Sky', the CD I bought, contains '11 O'Clock Tick Tock' and 'Party Girl', two songs I did't knew yet. (Released as singles, which I seldom buy).

Daniel73 wrote:Maybe you need a mixing-desk?

Could be, but I don't know much about those. The microphone I use works via USB, specially for home-recording, so I don't know if it fits with a mixing-desk. What do these desks actually do?

Daniel73 wrote:Having heard your recordings, I think your instruments sound good already. Buying much instruments, especially as a beginning guitar player, tends to stray away from what music really is. I think sound should come out of the musician instead of the instrument. My suggestion would be to learn some basic musical theory, before you get fed up with buying guitars. The sound is in yourself. If you would invest in yourself rather than in instruments, you can be a very good guitar player on any guitar.

You're right, music is about expressing yourself in the first and most important place. Sometimes I forget about that.
Just as when you rembered me that a song isn't necessarily good because it's complicated. Songs should be build from a simple basis to really make them good. If you want the make a really smart and complicated song immediately, there's a big change that you won't see the forrest through all the trees anymore. Literally translated :).

Daniel73 wrote:Recently I've began reading notes again. My intention is to write down notes first and then learn how to play them properly, before recording. (Which saves a lot of recording tricks.)

Reading notes is something I should learn. It would broaden my horizon when I can play piano parts on the guitar, too. Or whatever instrument that doesn't has TABS.
The only instrument of which I can really read notes is drums, but that's not very hard, because there aren't as much notes as on a guitar.

Daniel73 wrote:What I still find difficult is repeating the same progression over and over again, throughout a song.

I had the same problem when I started with recording songs via a digital camera. I had to record 'Under the Bridge' a lot of times before I had a take that sounded a bit good in my opinion. But the more you do it, the more you get used to it, of course.
If you record in the studio, you can of course take the best parts of different takes and make one 'perfect take'.

Daniel73 wrote:My guitar teacher disagrees with that, as he says guitars should be convenient and easy to play, also because it would be bad for the muscles (getting sour, as with sports).

I often do warming-up exercises before I start playing guitar, because the least I want to get is an injury. But I think you’re right about the fact that playing a cheap guitar is better for your playing. I you can get a nice sound out of those guitars, you sure can get a nice sound from expensive ones.

Daniel73 wrote:Anyway, I certainly hope to hear more recordings from you.

Thanks. I’m working on a new version of ‘In A Little While’ now. I think I now have the second guitar that plays a riff left of track right. Also the drums are now as they should be. For the first time I changed the metronome speed, from 120 to 105.
The only things I have to do are the vocals (but I’d like to try the new microphone on this one) and part of the guitars.
And also two demos of my own, a retake of 'Safari' where I really don't know what to do with the lyrics yet. And a song that I haven't posted yet, in which the lyrics are the only problem, too. I'm not much of a poet :).

Daniel73 wrote:And later when you're famous, I can sell them as bootlegs.

Or you can become famous yourself, so we can sell each other’s bootlegs.

Daniel73 wrote:Do you know the CD 'Forever changes' by Love? (1967)

I don’t really know that CD, or Love. The cover of ‘Forever Changes’ looks quite psychedelic, and so does the track list.

Daniel73 wrote:Love - Alone Again Or (2003)

Sounds good, I like atmosphere. Also the trumpets that enter at two third of the song, which sounds Spanish.
In another karaoke movie on YouTube called ‘The Red Telephone’, I see that (singer?) Arthur Lee has died in 2006. Is he the same one as the man in white who plays guitar and sings at the same time?
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Stephan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:20 pm

I wrote:I like atmosphere.

This sounds like Jerom, from Suske & Wiske.
I mean: 'I like the atmosphere'.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:18 am

'Suske en Wiske' are named Spike and Suzy in English.
Rockerduck

Postby Stephan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:22 am

Indeed, but I think Suske & Wiske sounds more familiar :). I don't think there are a lot of English people who reed Spike & Suzy. (There aren't a lot of albums translated to English, only about six?).
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:57 pm

Stephan wrote:It's hard to review Stadium Arcadium, because I haven't got the time to get to know all songs as much as I want to, I just bought it. But with 28 songs there's got to be some good songs on it.

I have two CDs of the Peppers. 'Blood Sugar' (with 'Under the Bridge') and the previous one, 'By the Way'. I don't know if I will buy 'Stadium Arcadium', because I think Anthony Kiedis' voice isn't interesting enough to have more CDs of the Peppers.
I'm interested in listening to more of John Frusciante's solo-work. His CD 'Shadows Collide With People' has Peppers on them, except Kiedis. I wonder how the Peppers would sound if Frusciante would take all the vocals, or if they would release instrumental versions of their CDs.
I could listen to the music all day, but it's always Kiedis who gets boring. Strange that this seems to be accepted. Reviewers note when Kiedis is singing not-too-bad. How can he life with it? One review noted Kiedis singing Donna Summer's 'I feel love' with a remarkable high falset voice, but I think they must have meant Frusciante instead:

John Frusciante - I Feel Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg0ah7-kiz0
Tube info: MSG Madison Square Garden 2003 Show
Donna Summer Cover Red Hot Chili Peppers

Red Hot Chili Peppers-How Deep Is Your Love (Bee Gees Cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7o-9JuzlD4
Tube info: Live a La Cigale France 2006

Stephan wrote:'Tell me baby', the second song on the second album. This song also has an videoclip, in which the Red Hot Chili Peppers play in a room where all kinds of people walk in and take their places. The guitarriff sounds very good, and the chorus is affective.

red hot chili peppers - tell me baby videoclip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei74FzhVHsk

I like the songs I've heard so far, and certainly would be interested in more. It's just too much Kiedis for me, despite the great music and songs.

Stephan wrote:I'm also waiting for the Vertigo-show live in Milan, recorded last year. One of the great things of the Vertigo-tour is that U2 opens their shows with some Boy-classics, like 'I Will Follow', 'Cry/Electric Co.' and 'An Cath Dub'. Too bad I was on a vacation in Spain when they played in the Amsterdam Arena last summer.

In the early 1980s U2 played at Veronica's Countdown, giving a half hour concert or so. I think that was for television, but I'm not sure. Maybe this is an excerpt:

U2 - A Celebration (live)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGXAov6dDY
Tube info: U2 give a rare performance of "A Celebration" live in Hattem, Netherlands May 14, 1982.

It's a crime U2 hasn't released this song on CD. (Or did they?) It's one of the U2 songs I like the most. Here's the studio-version with the video-clip:

U2 - A Celebration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBP64ZssRNY
Tube info: The single does not appear on any U2 album. It is considered one of the rarest of U2's regular 45s and was deleted within six months. The song was performed live for the first time on February 25, 1982 at the Uptown Theatre in Kansas City, Missouri. However, it had a short lifespan in U2's live set, played for the last time on March 1, 1983 in Sheffield. It was voted No. 2 in the Best Single category in the Hot Press Readers' Poll. The single also appeared on Rare Rock Collection - Rock Against AIDS, a 1987 compilation released by 98KZEW with proceeds to benefit Rock Against AIDS.
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:47 am

Stephan wrote:
Daniel73 wrote:Maybe you need a mixing-desk?

Could be, but I don't know much about those. The microphone I use works via USB, specially for home-recording, so I don't know if it fits with a mixing-desk. What do these desks actually do?

A mixing-desk has multiple connections and faders. For example, you can plug in a guitar and one or a microphone at the same time. Or more more microphones and more guitars, depending on what you choose.
Here's an example, a cheap one: Tapco MIX 60
http://feedback.nl/?id=55&b=MIX60
I guess there should be mixers with USB-possibilities as well?

Stephan wrote:You're right, music is about expressing yourself in the first and most important place. Sometimes I forget about that.

Music is not only expressing yourself, but also being capable to do it. The better you can play, by starting simple, the more you can express.

Reading notes is something I should learn. It would broaden my horizon when I can play piano parts on the guitar, too. Or whatever instrument that doesn't has TABS.
The only instrument of which I can really read notes is drums, but that's not very hard, because there aren't as much notes as on a guitar.

I suggest you try some easy lesson book how to play guitar, using a metronome to be sure of good timing. It might feel like learning to walk again. But if you can walk, it won't take much time. And you can still jam around between those lessons and self-tests. Playing with a metronome can be difficult in the beginning, because the metropnome is the boss and it needs discipline to keep in tempo and rhythm. A metronome may sound irritating in the beginning, but the better you play along the less you hear it.
I'm using a Korg MA-30. About 25 Euro's. Since using this metronome I'm very into practicing.

I've had lots of fun with recording, but I get bored with hearing my limitations. (Basically being limited to strumming chords and playing a few tones.) Thanks to just trying out on an old Fostex 4-track, I know what I'm practicing for. I could go on strumming chords, but now I'm very much into plucking the strings, playing loose tones.

If you record in the studio, you can of course take the best parts of different takes and make one 'perfect take'.

Then you record something you can't play yourself. (Unless you practice it afterwards.)
What I've done so far is recording different takes to get something I could practice on one guitar. And sometimes I recorded several parts on a basic rhythm, by only listening to that basic rhythm. (Turning off the sound of recorded parts.) Then after recording it was a surprise how the parts would sound together.
But in the end I wouldn't like to record multiple takes because I'm limited, but because it can be a work method to get ideas and an overall sound.

Have you tried recording the same guitar part twice, for example? As if two guitar players are playing exactly the same? Then you get rich sound. ABBA used that method. In some songs, they recorded parts twice.

I’m working on a new version of ‘In A Little While’ now. I think I now have the second guitar that plays a riff left of track right. Also the drums are now as they should be. For the first time I changed the metronome speed, from 120 to 105.
The only things I have to do are the vocals (but I’d like to try the new microphone on this one) and part of the guitars.
And also two demos of my own, a retake of 'Safari' where I really don't know what to do with the lyrics yet. And a song that I haven't posted yet, in which the lyrics are the only problem, too. I'm not much of a poet :).

You have interesting word-choices and impressions. I suggest you try to write (imitate) a children's song, with simple couplets that have a steady pattern. That's a good lesson to write songs, as you can easily see what goes wrong and what works good.
There are books on how to compose songs, giving directions and possibilities. It's always nice to have books that can be used as guides. Danger is of course that you might to theoretically. If you would follow too much theory, or too much theory of the same kind, it might be at cost of your own originality. So there needs to be a balance. Knowing theory might avoid unecessary reïnvention of wheels.

Or you can become famous yourself, so we can sell each other’s bootlegs.

So far, my recordings won't sell. They have the best copy-protection ever: No one will ever desire to copy them. :P And you need a special decoder to hear what I hear from them. Mostly the recordings are intended as reminders of possibilities I've tried.

Most fun I've had is just recording guitars in G. Just only the chord G for about three minutes, and then singing couplets and refrains over it, trying out melodies that would hide that it's just one chord going on and on.
The Beatles have such a song: 'Tomorrow never knows' (entirely in C, except for some C7, which is still C)

[CD 'Forever Changes' by Love] I don’t really know that CD, or Love. The cover of ‘Forever Changes’ looks quite psychedelic, and so does the track list.

Principal question is: What is psychedelic? The word has also been used as a fashion word. I have 'Forever changes' and I wouldn't call it psychedelic. But then, I see psychedelic music as being full of imagination and sound effects. According to this personal definition 'Vertigo' and 'Mysterious Ways' of U2 could be psychedelic, and most of 'Zooropa'.

Love - Alone Again Or (2003)

Sounds good, I like atmosphere. Also the trumpets that enter at two third of the song, which sounds Spanish.

The trumpets solo belongs to the best music I've ever heard. It has a fado-like feeling of emotions. (Could be a Mexican style or so?) I think the entire song should be high in any Top 100 of all times. The vocal line, the shy way of singing, the guitars, everything fits.
Unfortunately, here the song is played on electric guitars. On 'Forever Changes' the plucking is done on acoustic guitars. Now the plucking sounds too metalic and average.

In another karaoke movie on YouTube called ‘The Red Telephone’, I see that (singer?) Arthur Lee has died in 2006. Is he the same one as the man in white who plays guitar and sings at the same time?

Yes, Arthur is the man with the hat and American flag around his head. He died of leukemia on August 3, 2006 in Memphis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Lee_%28musician%29

Here's a (lip-synch?) performance of the 1960s, a single:

Love - My Little Red Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hLP8_F2fkw

What I find interesting is that the song sounds awkward to me, in a way I wouldn't expect it, but after it has played I can't get it out of my head.
Barrett of Pink Floyd had someone humming the melody and he tried to follow that humming with his guitar, which turned into a riff used for Floyd's 'Interstellar overdrive':

Psychedelic short, rare Floyd with Syd Barrett
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSk6wT_KvPA

Later, on Pink Floyds debut LP, 1967, the riff has developed more into its own direction.
Daniel73

Postby Stephan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:36 am

Daniel73 wrote:I have two CDs of the Peppers. 'Blood Sugar' (with 'Under the Bridge') and the previous one, 'By the Way'. I don't know if I will buy 'Stadium Arcadium', because I think Anthony Kiedis' voice isn't interesting enough to have more CDs of the Peppers.

I’ve also got a ‘Greatest Hits’ CD, with songs like ‘Under the Bridge’, ‘Otherside’ and ‘Californication’. I wouldn’t buy another Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD neither, because I think their best songs are on this Hits CD.
But if they make a new CD, I would think about buying it.

Daniel73 wrote:I could listen to the music all day, but it's always Kiedis who gets boring. Strange that this seems to be accepted. Reviewers note when Kiedis is singing not-too-bad. How can he life with it?

Indeed I think Kiedis’ voice gets quite boring after hearing it for 28 songs. But I really like his singing on the songs I’ve named before, especially on ‘Snow ((hey oh))’.
I think the songs I don’t like are boring because of Anthony, because he sings to monotone or without much variation.
Another thing I don’t like with the Peppers is the volume of Chad’s drumming. He is technically a good drummer, but the snare drum is often too loud. It makes me want to turn the volume up to hear the other music, but then of course the drums get louder too.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Stephan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:18 pm

Daniel73 wrote:John Frusciante - I Feel Love

Indeed a high falsetto. John Frusciante definitely can sing besides playing guitar.
Though I'm not sure, after hearing the songs on 'Stadium Arcadium' a couple of times, there're quite a lot on which I like Kiedis' voice too. Some songs are really ruined because of his monotone or false voice, like 'Hump De Bump', 'Torture Me', 'Readymade' and 'Storm In Your Teacup', but some are really great, I think. I really like the vocals on i.e. 'Slow Cheetah' (as well as Frusciante's acoustic guitarplay), 'Com'n Girl', '21st Century'. Also the endig of the last song on the second CD, 'Death of a Martian' is really weird, but I like it. The lyrics:

Let's bow our heads And let the trumpets blow
Our girl is gone God bless her little soul
(She's got sword in case
Tho this is not her lord incase
The one who can't afford to face
Her image is restored to grace.
Disappeared. No trace. Musky tears. Suitcase. The down turn brave
Little burncub bearcareless turnip snare
Rampages pitch color pages...
Down and out but not in Vegas.
Disembarks and disengages.
No loft. Sweet pink canary cages plummet pop dewskin fortitude
For the sniffing black noses that snort and allude
To dangling trinkets that mimic the dirt cough go drink its.
It's for you. Blue battered naval town slip kisses delivered by duck
Muscles and bottlenosed grifters arrive in time to catch the late show.
It's a beehive barrel race.
A shehive stare and chase wasted feature who tried and failed to reach her.
Embossed beneath a box in the closet that's lost.
The kind that you find when you mind your own mysteries.
Shiv sister to the quickness before it blisters into the newmorning milk blanket.
Your ilk is funny to the turnstyle touch bunny who's bouquet set a course for bloom without decay.
Get you broom and sweep the echoes of yesternights fallen freckles... away...)

Daniel73 wrote:It's a crime U2 hasn't released this song on CD. (Or did they?) It's one of the U2 songs I like the most.

They haven’t released ‘Celebration’ on CD. Maybe they will someday. November next month U2 will release a new ‘Best of’ CD with 16 older songs and two new ones (cover of ‘The Saints are Coming’ by the Skids and a new song called ‘Window on the Sky’). I hope they’ll put unknown songs such as ‘a Celebration’ on it, because I don’t really know a lot of U2-songs which aren’t released on CD’s.
I don’t really know why they haven’t released this song on CD. All I’ve read about it was something in a book about the meaning of U2’s lyrics. I believe Bono was accused of facistic ideas on base of the part: ‘I believe in third world war, I believe in the atomic bomb’. He didn’t meant it that way. He replied by saying that people should read the more important following line ‘But they won’t overpower me’.

Daniel73 wrote:A mixing-desk has multiple connections and faders. For example, you can plug in a guitar and one or a microphone at the same time. Or more more microphones and more guitars, depending on what you choose.
Here's an example, a cheap one: Tapco MIX 60
http://feedback.nl/?id=55&b=MIX60
I guess there should be mixers with USB-possibilities as well?

I didn’t knew mixing-desks could be so unexpensive. I haven’t seen them below 200 euros before.
It’s something to keep in mind. It would be really cool to play life with others, or play guitar and sing at the same time.

Daniel73 wrote:Music is not only expressing yourself, but also being capable to do it. The better you can play, by starting simple, the more you can express.

On the other hand, simplicity does not garantuees good expression. Some songs by artists like Frans Bauer and Jan Smit are uncomplicated, but still make me feel they do not mean what they sing. It seems fake.
But personally I indeed often miss the main goal of music or the main-theme of the song, because I want to much, or because I make the song with the wrong intentions. I’m working a lot on songwriting right now, to really make songs that are me.

Daniel73 wrote:Playing with a metronome can be difficult in the beginning, because the metropnome is the boss and it needs discipline to keep in tempo and rhythm. A metronome may sound irritating in the beginning, but the better you play along the less you hear it.
I'm using a Korg MA-30. About 25 Euro's. Since using this metronome I'm very into practicing.

I can use my fathers metrome which he uses when he drums. And when I play guitar on Cubase I always use a metrome too. But I do need to work on my timing, it’s often unstraight, which damages the song.

Daniel73 wrote:I suggest you try some easy lesson book how to play guitar,

I’ve taken my first guitarlessons last weeks, and I’ve learned a lot of things that I never really was sure about. Like how play a chordprogression (up or down stroking), and how to grab the chords in the right way.
Since the last lesson I’m learning to play different kinds of songs and while doing so I’ll learn more and more things. The first song was ‘Californication’, from which especially the solo was interesting, because I’m very bad in figuring out choruses or in playing them.
Here’s an attempt:
http://media.putfile.com/Californicationsol

Daniel73 wrote:Have you tried recording the same guitar part twice, for example? As if two guitar players are playing exactly the same? Then you get rich sound. ABBA used that method. In some songs, they recorded parts twice.

I hear it sometimes in songs and it sounds very cool. A lot of songs on ‘Stadium Arcadium’ have guitars from different sides, and ther’s also one Gorillaz-song (5/4) which starts with one overdriven guitar on the left and is joined by another one on the right.
I haven’t really expirimentated a lot with that yet.

Daniel73 wrote:You have interesting word-choices and impressions.

The problem is that I’ve got the feeling a lot of songs I write aren’t actually honest, or they don’t really reflect my feelings enough. I really need to work on that. Maybe by first writing the main idea of a song and actually a non-rhyming story, and then make it a good flowing song.

Daniel73 wrote:I suggest you try to write (imitate) a children's song, with simple couplets that have a steady pattern. That's a good lesson to write songs, as you can easily see what goes wrong and what works good.

That’s an idea. It could help me to keep a clear vision on the song I’m writing.

Daniel73 wrote:So far, my recordings won't sell. They have the best copy-protection ever: No one will ever desire to copy them. And you need a special decoder to hear what I hear from them. Mostly the recordings are intended as reminders of possibilities I've tried.

Do you have different recordings besides ‘Zovaak Zaterdag’? (‘So many times Saterday’). I’m interested :).

Daniel73 wrote:The Beatles have such a song: 'Tomorrow never knows' (entirely in C, except for some C7, which is still C)

I haven’t heard that song yet, I’ll try to download it.

Daniel73 wrote:Principal question is: What is psychedelic? The word has also been used as a fashion word.

I’m definitly not an expert, but for me, psychadelic stands for unusual music, confusing, against all standard expectations, music from the sixties, most times with a lot of drugs involved.
I think ‘Vertigo’ is more Rock, though kind of confusing too. (But I think that’s U2’s intention. Vertigo appears to be about confusion in a discotheque called Vertigo.)

P.s.: I’m sorry for the late response, I’ve made it myself quite busy last weeks.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Daniel73 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:41 pm

Stephan wrote:P.s.: I’m sorry for the late response, I’ve made it myself quite busy last weeks.

I also apologize for being late. I like your contributions very much. I want to take the time for it. Problem for me is that I tend to get longwinded. Often I have to edit down my messages before sending, just to save you from endless waterfalls of text.

I thank you for your messages so far, here and on the Dutch sections. You dared to be open and sincere about yourself. Not just telling your strong points, but also what you consider being weak points. I've much respect for that. You present yourself as a real human. I wish more people could be so open.
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:10 pm

Discussion on music continues under 'Music general', at McDucks International's 'Off-Topic'-forum.

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Daniel73 on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel73

Previous

Return to About McDrake International