McDuck.NL English Form dead?

questions, corrections, complaints, suggestions

Postby Robb_K » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:10 pm

Looks like we have died. We are down to SPAM as new threads, and a post every four weeks (only SPAM)!!!
Robb_K

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:09 pm

I'm afraid you may be right, Robb. I've been checking the forum every day, and wondering what happened to all the verbose folks that used to hang out here. I thought of trying to start a topic, but figured I might not get a reply. Maybe they've gone back to the Dutch section of the site, leaving us English-speakers alone? I don't know.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:01 pm

Check out the Barks quiz, Herr Doctor!
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:08 pm

This forum McDuck International is just as alive/dead as ever. Reason why I have stopped commenting is that there's no direction in the maintenance of McDuck as a whole. On Dutch McDuck-fora, Sander has given all maintainance rights away to Dukka, who is now pushing through his own rules. This has made McDuck an entirely different place.
Basically, people can just start all over again, explaining themselves for nothing. One-and-half-year of brainstorming and agreed-but-still-unwritten rules are just wasted.

I've grown tired of endless discussions with moderators. I've supported and joined weird ideas like the McDuck roleplay game, but whenever there were questions, I felt I had to explain myself over and over again, while in fact I was just defending a common McDuck policy. This has made me very grumpy. Especially because some people just claimed that I must be the joker by default. And so jokers can just do whatever they want, because people will simply blame someone else. On the Dutch section there has been a rule against such accusations, but this rule can just be freely ignored. Just blame the first person you can think of. No maintainer or moderator will ever warn you against that. Even though they should.

I've done my best for a neutral forum where everyone could contribute. And I failed. At this moment, McDuck is like the many other internet-places where a moderator will just delete whatever he/she wishes, for whatever reason. Did you spend an hour on writing a message? Don't complain if it's thrown away later, just because some moderator misunderstood you. This is now the case on the Dutch sections, under Dukka's new policy.

The only way for me to run and enjoy a forum is running one myself. As I've understood by telephone, Sander will make me moderator of McDuck International. This way I finally can contribute to a forum without needing to explain myself over and over again.
As if it's so difficult to just have a trustworthy place with liberty of speech, that keeps spambots out of the door.
Daniel73

Postby Messenger of truth » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:50 am

I simply *have* to set the record straight and tell you the truth: Daniel is lying. As usual.

Daniel has created yet *another* flamewar on the Dutch section. He accused a 14 year old, who merely just asked him about his aliases, of the worst things. Daniel thought he saw another 'hidden agenda' against him. And as we all know, when Daniel gets paranoid, *everybody* will have to suffer. So then he went on to accuse moderator Dukka, who took over most tasks from moderator Sander. He even went as far as to say Dukka was deliberatly destroying McDuck and trying to prevent Daniel from discussing. Of course, none of these things were or are true. Daniel posted some private e-mails from Rockerduck on the forum, without asking Rockerduck's permission, so Dukka deleted that. And Dukka deleted some spam (only three messages). Since then, Daniel is blowing this out of proportion the way only he can. Suddenly Daniel is acting as if Dukka is a brutal dictator who has violently overthrown a government... And not only Dukka gets it, also people who try to calm down this insane paranoid person, like Rockerduck.

You can see how ridiculous this is, now can't you? As usual: where Daniel is, there is fighting.
Messenger of truth

Postby Daniel73 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:04 am

Messenger of truth wrote:I simply *have* to set the record straight and tell you the truth: Daniel is lying. As usual.

Very easy for you to give foreigners some weird, sensational description about me being a member of the Dutch section.

Messenger of truth wrote:Daniel has created yet *another* flamewar on the Dutch section. He accused a 14 year old, who merely just asked him about his aliases, of the worst things. Daniel thought he saw another 'hidden agenda' against him. And as we all know, when Daniel gets paranoid, *everybody* will have to suffer.

What worst things? I commented to being accused for people's aliasses over and over again, without any defendance of the moderators who had made a rule against such accusations.

Messenger of truth wrote:So then he went on to accuse moderator Dukka, who took over most tasks from moderator Sander. He even went as far as to say Dukka was deliberatly destroying McDuck and trying to prevent Daniel from discussing. Of course, none of these things were or are true. Daniel posted some private e-mails from Rockerduck on the forum, without asking Rockerduck's permission, so Dukka deleted that. And Dukka deleted some spam (only three messages). Since then, Daniel is blowing this out of proportion the way only he can. Suddenly Daniel is acting as if Dukka is a brutal dictator who has violently overthrown a government... And not only Dukka gets it, also people who try to calm down this insane paranoid person, like Rockerduck.

Sander has given away rights of McDuck to Dukka. Sander himself didn't expect that Dukka would start erasing my postings.
The correspondence itself could have been with anyone. It just explained the McDuck roleplay as I saw it, last year in a friendly discussion with Rockerduck. If I would have expected trouble, I could easily have rewritten it into something general.
Dukka has actively contacted Rockerduck in private email, to ásk if there could be complaints. Sander would never have moderated this way.

Messenger of truth wrote:You can see how ridiculous this is, now can't you? As usual: where Daniel is, there is fighting.

Fine to see some "Messenger of truth" here. That's what a forum needs.
Daniel73

Postby pryds » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:25 pm

Perhaps the forum has died/is dying exactly because of posts like the above ones?
At least, that's one of the reasons that I am reluctant about coming back to this forum to check for new posts once in a while. It seems that almost any thread evolves into the same topic that this one did, and I really don't want to waste my time reading thread after thread of mud-throwing. If I did, I'd go to the nearest kindergarden instead. I don't blame anyone; I just conclude that most of the threads here contain a lot of (to me) highly indifferent "discussions".
pryds

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:03 pm

I don't see the harm in this forum's having a moderator. We need someone to delete spam, and having someone to curb out-of-control discussions isn't a bad idea. Pryds is correct; nearly every discussion on this list has spiraled out of control into a heated exchange of personalities. For example, the discussion on Don Rosa was originally an interesting chance for me and others to make some legitimate criticisisms of a writer who's usually given uncritical adulation, but it quickly became a long series of back-and-forth insults between Egg, Rockerduck, and Stephan (Egg started it and the others retaliated). I see no problem with a moderator; every other message board I know has one and only in one case (that of the Serial Squadron) has it led to any supression of free speech.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:12 pm

And I should add that the Serial Squadron moderator doesn't supress free speech because of disagreements over who's a better writer, etc., but because he's out to prevent any mention of some commercial competitors' DVD releases of the old movies he also releases.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:47 pm

Daniel and Messenger of Truth-neither of you should have brought these messages here. just about everyone is already scared away as it is. Don't try to "snow" the foreigners here Daniel. I've seen your posts on the Dutch Forum and here. Where the big flare ups are, one of your posts surely can't be far off.

We here on The English Forum don't want to get in the middle of name-calling discussions. If you want this international forum to succeed, please don't try to tell us who you think is doing things that don't work right, or hurt the forum, and don't try to use it to change your own image.

Personally, I think it would be better if none of us use aliases. Then we don't have to worry about people stirring up trouble under an alias, who can later deny that they were that poster.

We just want a civil place we can come to and converse with other individuals who share our hobby/interest.
There is no need to have personality conflicts. People can state their opinions without making them personal.
Let's please try to keep from ruining this.
Robb_K

Postby Ole Damgaard » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:18 pm

I am currently working on two fanzine-articles and one article for a comics website, so don't expect too much activity from me the next couple of months.

Furthermore, the constant flamewars by "someone" does not encourage one to post messages either. Sigh.
Ole Damgaard

Postby Daniel73 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:35 pm

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:I don't see the harm in this forum's having a moderator. We need someone to delete spam, and having someone to curb out-of-control discussions isn't a bad idea.

Point is that I often have asked for a moderator to structurize where and how the limits discussions should be. I often have had to explain rules which were already decided.

Robb_K wrote:Daniel and Messenger of Truth-neither of you should have brought these messages here. just about everyone is already scared away as it is. Don't try to "snow" the foreigners here Daniel. I've seen your posts on the Dutch Forum and here. Where the big flare ups are, one of your posts surely can't be far off.

There was a roleplay on the Dutch forum in which discussions were deliberately heated, and people enjoyed it. I made the mistake of revealing my name and since then I'm disturbed about the way people have questioned me about aliasses, even though the roleplay is part of McDuck's policy.
And as agreed with Sander and an anonymous roleplaying author, I would test the McDuck policy, as part of a maintenance debate.

Robb_K wrote:We here on The English Forum don't want to get in the middle of name-calling discussions. If you want this international forum to succeed, please don't try to tell us who you think is doing things that don't work right, or hurt the forum, and don't try to use it to change your own image.

Change my own image? Then I'd rather stay out of this. I'm explaining how the forum should work according to the maintenance debate. But as you can see, there are no (translated) written rules at all here on McDuck International. That worries me.

Robb_K wrote:Personally, I think it would be better if none of us use aliases. Then we don't have to worry about people stirring up trouble under an alias, who can later deny that they were that poster.

There are rules against misusing aliasses, on the Dutch forum. The policy about "trolls" is that they should just be ignored.

Robb_K wrote:We just want a civil place we can come to and converse with other individuals who share our hobby/interest.
There is no need to have personality conflicts. People can state their opinions without making them personal.
Let's please try to keep from ruining this.

There are lots of plans. At this moment I dislike the forum for apparently having no direction.
I don't see why aliasses should be blamed for riots, as I also see members using opportunities to blame people. Why frown on someone else's bad behaviour if you feel invited to contribute to it?

If people want to discuss comics they can discuss comics. There are plenty of topics here, and you can make new ones yourselves. For now I'll wait until I can structurize this place without needing to ask for Sander's time first. I could already make a translation of the rules, but I'd rather wait for his permission first, to avoid any further misunderstandings.
Daniel73

Postby Messenger of Truth » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 pm

And yet again, trouble-maker Daniel is portraying himself as the Holy Innocence himself. :rolleyes:
Messenger of Truth

Postby Ridder ter Geit » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 am

Should I post: 'Shut up, Rockerduck' now?

He perfectly makes clear what his intentions are, here.
Ridder ter Geit

Postby Robb_K » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:55 am

Hey you guys, knock it off. Let's not have any name calling or assessments of what others are doing any more. Let's just make on topic comments and see what others post. If the posts are not to your liking, keep it to yourself or go elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to be here.

I'm willing to give any new rules a chance, but I'm sure that the last few of us here will be gone soon, if the accusations and name-calling continue.
Robb_K

Next

Return to About McDrake International