Disney Comics-game

comics, books

Postby Rockerduck » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:55 pm

I've thought of some kind of 'game' to play that might be interesting, for this way we'll be able to see what are everbody's likes and dislikes. It goes like this: I give you two Disney comics-related things to choose from. The next person picks one of the two possibilities (and is invited to explain why he picked it) and posts two new things to choose from.

For example, I'll say: Mickey or Goofy?
Then somebody will say: Goofy, because he is much funnier.

Then this person can post a new question.

Ok, here it goes:

Taliaferro or Gottfredson?
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Gottfredson, because he drew long, adventure stories, and we already have Barks as the "definer" of an excellent version of "The Duck Universe" .
Robb_K

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:35 pm

That's a tough choice...the two men did different things, really. Taliaferro was a master of the daily gag strip--I've laughed out loud at many of his DD Sunday strips. Gottfredson was unsurpassed as a comic strip adventure creator, though he also excelled at shorter, humorous tales. Taliaferro might have been good at long adventures, too, but he never happened to do any. Both men are great in their own departments.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Rockerduck » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:57 pm

So now it's up to Robb_K to post a new question with two options to choose from.
Rockerduck

Postby Hassan Jas-an » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:40 am

Nobody wants to play?
Hassan Jas-an

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:36 am

Donald Duck weekly or Donald Duck Extra?
Egg

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:47 am

Er... That's mainly interesting for the Dutch people. Especially Rockerduck. ;)

Another one:
Daan Jippes or Daniel Branca?
Egg

Postby Rockerduck » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 pm

Egg wrote:Er... That's mainly interesting for the Dutch people. Especially Rockerduck. ;)

Another one:

Ooooh, that's a tough one. Both have done great artwork for the Disney comics.

Daan Jippes is said to have a style that's "Barkser than Barks"; 'The Jippes touch' and it's thanks to him that we're able to read Barks' Woodchuck-stories in the style they belong in (not the Strobl-style). Jippes' latest stories aren't the best, but his drawings are still great, in my opinion. Jippes also had a lot of influence on the Dutch comic-world, with his 1972 story 'Twee voor thee' ('Two for tea), with Martin Lodewijk. Let's also not forget the classic stories he amde with Fred Milton. Last but not least, he worked at the Walt Disney studio's and did work on Aladdin and The Lion King.

Daniel Branca's style developed through the years in a very cartoon-like style. The Ducks' face expression's became more and more (over-)exagerrated, which I liked very much. Branca was able to give you the feeling that you were watching a cartoon instead of reading a comic. I don't like his early work much, though. Those stories were often boring.

So I settle for Daan Jippes, who has accomplished most, in my opinion.

New question: Flintheart Glomgold or Magica DeSpell?
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:23 am

Rockerduck wrote:New question: Flintheart Glomgold or Magica DeSpell?

Magica de Spell.

I'd say: Magica de Spell is unique. Flintheart can be replaced by the maharajah of the giant statues story and by the pig villain.
(Is that correct, Barksists?)

Next question:
Toonder Studio or Carol Voges?
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:44 am

Egg wrote:Er... That's mainly interesting for the Dutch people. Especially Rockerduck. ;)

Another one:

Jippes, because he was much more versatile. He drew all different kinds of characters in very different styles. I like his "Barks style" better than Branca's, because Branca's is from thge early '60s, while Jippes' is more from the late '40s.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:46 am

Don Rosa drawing Mr. Natural or Robert Crumb drawing The Disney Ducks?
Robb_K

Postby Pedigreehunter » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:37 am

Gimme Rosa for all.

Pulp or art?
Pedigreehunter

Postby Stephan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:13 pm

Art, because it sounds more expensive.

Story or artwork?
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Stephan wrote:Art, because it sounds more expensive.

Is that good? I think a lot of people destroy comics by calling it art and by making it expensive.

What's the difference between pulp (kitsch?) and art? As I understood it, Barks saw his work just as assembly line work, motivated by the Western cheque-system. For Rembrant the paintings often were commisioned, as work. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Egg

Postby Stephan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:29 pm

Stephan wrote:Art, because it sounds more expensive.

Egg wrote:Is that good? I think a lot of people destroy comics by calling it art and by making it expensive.

Well, it was sort of a joke. I think I like art most, because it's often inspiring.
Art is about expressing your feelings, where pulp is about entertaining the crowd.
Stephan
Stephan

Next

Return to Disney comics