What can we say about Barks?

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Egg » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:26 am

A topic on Barks! What can we say about Barks? Little. Nobody knows Barks's work anymore. He's forgotten. No readers. No fans. No contributions in this topic...

"You can have the pogo stick and the cream, too! I'm going home and invent butterless buttered popcorn!"
I could ask "Which story?"
But I'm sure nobody knows.

edited: title changed
Last edited by Egg on Mon May 01, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:52 pm

Trying to EGG us on, eh?

Well, I knew him. And I remember him being a very nice man. He was very jolly and funny (clever, witty). He was generous and welcoming. When i brought my little sister to see him at his house in Goleta (in 1970), he and Gare' were so nice to us, they gave us lunch, and we stayed for several hours. We lost track of the time. He was very interested to answer all my questions. Gare brought out a camera, and they took photographs of all of us, and THEY kept them to remind them of OUR VISIT. I didn't ask him to draw anything for us. But, yet he was a serious man, too. He had his ideas about what was wrong in the World, and what traits in people didn't work. He made fun of them over and over in his stories.

His stories made me interested in geography, and so, directed me to a career that took me around the World. Then, later, it directed me into changing careers to trying to write and draw Duck stories (which i've been able to do to some degree).

I've met many, many writers and artists who had had the same reaction to his work, and many, many more people of all walks of life, who se lives were touched so greatly by his wonderful stories and great, soothing, wondrous artwork.

But, we've heard all this many times before.

We've also heard comparisons of his work to Rosa's (shudder).

So, I am helpless to think of a Barks subtopic to start talking about. that may have to come from someone else.
Robb_K

Postby Prank » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:06 pm

Wow, you have actually met him at his own place. i'm hounered to talk to you. Off course i've read all the stories and interviews about Barks and they all tell the same(except one, he called him a 'Evil genius'), how generous and open he was. To hear from somebody who did meet him in real is very special.

As i was reading the CBl vol.1, which i recently bought, i noticed that in the first few stories Barks wrote, the ducks seem not to have a real home adress/city. It looks like that every story starts somewhere else and it looks like Barks did not found out which way he had to go with the ducks. Did barks had a picture in his head of how he wanted to create the duck universum or did he just start every story on its own and have the later stories match up with the past?
Prank

Postby Grandma Jansen » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:19 pm

Did anybody see Grandpa Jansen? He didn't came home for the last 2 days, but he needs to take his medicine. If not he will transfer into an agressive spammer and a alcohol addict.
If you see him, he looks a bit like Santa but than without a beard,no belly and he only wears black, tell him to come home. If he forgot his adress just stick him in cab and sent him to:
Assylum boozetown
knotno road 1
Retardia
Grandma Jansen

Postby Stephan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:49 pm

Personally I haven't ever met Carl Barks. I became a fan of his work about two years after he died. though I've read alot of his stories that appeared in the Dutch Donald Duck-magazine when I was very young, without knowing it was Barks who made those stories.
I love his artwork, he's definetly the best and most dynamical drawer the Walt Disney company ever had wording for 'em.
I also love his sence of humor very much. And he really knows how to tell a story.

@ Robb_K: Cool that you knew Carl Barks. Indeed I've heard stories like yours many times before. I've heard a lot of people who knew Barks, talking about him as one of the most smartest and funniest men in the world.
Why did you actually meet him, in 1970?

"We've also heard comparisons of his work to Rosa's (shudder)."

You aren't a fan of Don Rosa's work, I see.
Anyway, let's talk about nothing but Barks in this topic, there's a Barks&Don Rosa on the Dutch forum.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:13 pm

Barks Quote quiz:
"You can have the pogo stick and the cream, too! I'm going home and invent butterless buttered popcorn!"

Nobody knows?

hint:
"Leg of lamb - with gravy and sweet potatoes! Ready to eat!"
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:50 pm

Egg wrote:Barks Quote quiz:

Nobody knows?

hint:
"Leg of lamb - with gravy and sweet potatoes! Ready to eat!"

Wat zeg je daar? "Nobody Knows?" !!!???

All we hard core Barks fans know that came from WDC 140, in which Barks introduced madcap inventor, Gyro Gearloose. "Oh why are guys like Gladstone ever born?" "They make the rest of us feel so futile!" .......such pathos! What a genius!
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:09 am

Okay. You're lucky this time. I see. ;)

What about this one?

"Yow! How this country's changed! Used to be all meadows and fields around here!"
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:11 am

=@ Robb_K: Cool that you knew Carl Barks. Indeed I've heard stories like yours many times before. I've heard a lot of people who knew Barks, talking about him as one of the most smartest and funniest men in the world.
Why did you actually meet him, in 1970?

I met Barks in 1966. I had moved to Los Angeles for university. I wandered into a book shop in Hollywood, owned by Malcom Wilits, the man who "discovered" Barks in 1964. He was preparing to auction off Barks' orignal artwork, including his unpublished pages. He let me photo them to be added to my "Carl Barks Library" Project (which was to be ALL his Duck pages, in chronological order). After finishing it and having it bound, I started hand-colouring the pages. Wilits thought Barks would appreciate that, so he had me talk to Barks on the telephone. He invited me to visit him, to show him the books. A big fan was still a novelty to him at that time, as only Wilits, Bill Spicer, Tom Andrae and Don Ault (and one or two others) had contacted him by then. I visited him twice in the '60s and once in the early '70s, and corresponded with him by post and telephone. I NEVER asked him to draw a drawing for me, and the foto's taken of us together with him and Gare' were kept by Carl and Gare'.

But, after I had been a storywriter/storyboarder with Oberon (GP) and Gutenberghus (Egmont) for 3-4 years (and my artwork was much better) I sent him photocopies of several of my storyboarded stories. He liked them very much, and was glad to have inspired me into a career that I love.

I was very lucky to have met the person who brought me (and so many others) so much pleasure in our youth. It makes me feel good that I can try to give back some of that happiness into the lives of kids reading Donald Duck now (of course, not anywhere near Barks scale, but, at least, a little).

Here's a volume from my 1967 "The Works Of Carl Barks":

Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:31 am

Robb_K

Postby Rockerduck » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:50 pm

Well, what can I say about Barks that hasn't already been said?

Needless to say, I love his work. I admire him for what he has accomplished.

What would the Donald Duck universe be without his imput? He created these wonderfull characters like Gladstone Gander, Gyro Gearloose, Uncle $crooge and also the character I named myself after, John D. Rockerduck, though it was really the Italians who further developed him.

It's impossible to pick just one favorite story. Immediately I have to think about 'The Golden Helmet', 'The gilded man', 'Christmas for Shacktown' and many countless other ones. Also, his shorter stories, like the one in which Donald and Gladstone rival to get Daisy the money she needs for het charity group, or the one where Donald and Gladstone both are searching for a maharadja's ruby on the beach, are unforgettable.

Carl Barks is truly missed.
Rockerduck

Postby 21st century » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:16 pm

Robb_K wrote:We've also heard comparisons of his work to Rosa's (shudder).

Rosa rules.
21st century

Postby Grandpa Jansen » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:09 am

Rockerduck wrote:What would the Donald Duck universe be without his imput?

The answer is: A Black Hole.

I've spent the last couple of weeks reading his work. First I was very much into Don Rosa and his work. I was really mad about those great drawings, with all the details and stuff, you know. The way Magica The Spell attacks his warehouse in one of the stories, it's really funny, with all that green slime all over Donald's head, hahaha, and Scrooge beating Donald all the time, really hard you know, hahahaha! I've been laughing the balls out of my pants!
But some weeks ago a guy named Keessie advized me to start reading C.Barks, to get rid of my twisted mind. I was a little bit strange, I realized it...I was a hairy hippie in the good old sixties, and ..yeah..you know..Woodstock..The Who.... Jimi....Van Morrison....you know......roaring times....with a lot of dope, and free sex and stuff...I had become a little bit strange...In my head...aw, you know...I had polluted my brain smoking all the stuff God had forbidden, and this whole Love and Peace thing back then had actually quite ..you know...turned me into some sort of hippie-retard ... in a way.....You know what I'm saying?

Well anyway... I started doing what Keessie had said. I started reading Barks. I didn't know him! His work is hardly published in the weekly DD anymore. I only knew Rosa, and I thought he was the guy who had invented everything, you know...It is Rosa who describes Scrooges youth and stuff..and the famous screwing around-scene of Goldie with Scrooge you know in this little hut in one of the last stories, just wahahahahaha great! Hahahahahahahahhahahaahhahahaaaa! No other Disney artist would get away with it, but Don strikes again! He's one of the best, honest! I also remember that crushed Mickey Mouse under some animals foot, hahahahaa! That is real humour! Walt Disney would have turned himself around in his grave if he found out!
Haha!

Ahem. Anyway...where was I?

Since I've been reading Barks I feel really different. I lost my sick, polluted mind. I am only drinking bio-organic juices. No more drugs, alcohol or tobacco. Barks has it all. No need for anything else. I have locked myself up on the attick of the asylum, and nobody can disturb me. Not even Grandma Jansen, she wants to give me my medecine, but I have quit using that white powder. But Grandma Jansen still is very into it. She did not discover Barks yet. But she will. As soon as I'm finished with all these wonderful stories.
I just read the flippism-story. It's too great to be true. And now I'm going to read "Lost In The Andes". I'm very curious. I still have about 450 stories to go. I'm in heaven. And I intend to stay there!
Grandpa Jansen

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:17 am

"Yow! How this country's changed! Used to be all meadows and fields around here!"

This is Prince Cad Ali Cad in IN ANCIENT PERSIA.

I have to agree with all the praises of Barks on this thread. He cannot be compared to anyone else in the comic book field, I believe. Gottfredson reigns supreme as king of the Disney comic strip, but Barks is the best Disney comic book artist/writer who ever lived. Actually, I'll go further--he was the best comic book artist/writer of all time.

""This may be suicide, but it's my ONLY chance to win this race!" (which Barks story?)
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby The One True Barks Lover » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:01 am

Grandpa Jansen is a shame for our intellectual Mr. Carl Barks community. Get him away or I'll leave!
The One True Barks Lover

Next

Return to Carl Barks