Barks quote quiz

creator of Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck

Postby Egg » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:06 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:"Everybody dash to the cellar! The MARTIANS are invading!" (which Barks story?)

Is it the sleepwalker story, in which Donald blames the nephews for eating out of the refridgerator?
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Nope.

Hint #1:
"Never mind, Unca Donald! You can make a new start here in LITTLE AMERICA!"
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:12 am

Doctor Witchie Britchie wrote:Nope.

Hint #1:
"Never mind, Unca Donald! You can make a new start here in LITTLE AMERICA!"

I have written 2 stories in which Donald ends up in Antarctica. In one of them, he ends up selling bow ties to penguins. It rings a bell, but my old memory is faltering. It's definately a Comics & Stories ,10-pager, (maybe from 1955 or 1956?).
Robb_K

Postby Barko » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:57 am

Is it the Atlantis story?
Barko

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:16 am

Nope, Barko, not the Atlantis story. A second hint:

"What's the picture NOW, boys? I'm so tired I can't SEE to the end of the boom!"
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:47 am

Absolutely NOT!!! It has to be a "mastery story" in which Donald is hiding in Antarctica at the end. The only Barks story in which Donald went to Antarctica in the body of the story was The Uncle scrooge story with the "Bombastium", which made ice cream flavours.

I remember it now!!! It was the end of the story with Donald as the building wrecker ("Master Wrecker"). He ended up knocking down (chopping up an igloo with an icepick!) with applauding penguins as the appreciative audience!
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:32 am

Daniël: I think you should bring up your discussion of Barks' lost "Golden Apples" story art being "found", that you placed on The Carl Barkssection in McDrake's Dutch main forum. I'm sure that Dr. Witchie Britchey, Barko and a few people still checking in here would be VERY interested. Certainly, I am interested, as Barks told me more about that story than was written in Barrier's Book and other public writings, and I wrote a 10-page version and submitted it, together with Daan Jippes before Egmont decided to use Geoff Blum's 14-page version. Blum also refused to use the added information I had about the story from my discussions with Barks. The story was written for Walt Disney's Comics And Stories #144, and thus was only 10 pages. Blum admitted that because he had so little to go on from Barks' recollections of the original, that his story is not really a re-construction of Barks' original story, but a COMPLETELY NEW story, with just the nut of a story theme, inspired by Barks. So, if the original story altered photocopied artwork can be "restored" to a useable condition, there should be no qualms about having 2 stories of very similar theme. They will be VERY DIFFERENT.
Robb_K

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Robb_K wrote:Daniël: I think you should bring up your discussion of Barks' lost "Golden Apples" story art being "found", that you placed on The Carl Barkssection in McDrake's Dutch main forum.

Egg cannot give much more information now, because it's Sunday now and all the offices are closed. Egg can only guess for now. Tomorrow, Monday, there might be absolute clarity about this. The original Barks artwork is said to be found in the heritage of an old-employee at Western, who took these (b/w) drawings (by Barks, Murry, Strobl and one unknown artist) with him for his children at home, to use it for their colouring enjoyment. As a result, most of the rescued art was damaged by the heavy felt-tipped colouring added by the children. This colouring had to be removed, but as a result some line-art details are washed away forever. (grunt)
The story will be exclusively published in a very expensive, heavy, limited edition Dutch collection. Egg thinks this grapevine news is hardly interesting for foreigners anyway, as the weight of the CBL-like collection makes it's practically impossible for foreigners to order it by post.

Robb_K wrote:So, if the original story altered photocopied artwork can be "restored" to a useable condition, there should be no qualms about having 2 stories of very similar theme. They will be VERY DIFFERENT.

Yes, they are is said to be very different. Very different. Extremely different. But tell that to people who don't want two Duck stories with the same theme, no matter who wrote it. Jippes's version is first published, so Barks's version would be redundant now. (As with 'Race to the South Seas'.)
The original 1952 story is said to feature not only Donald and Daisy, but also Huey, Dewey, Louie, Scrooge, Gyro and some "Goldie"(?!). The males join some footrace to win the hand of some woman (Daisy? Goldie?), but Scrooge rather wants to have the gold. Gyro is said to give a long scientific explanation how the gold can be thrown away so far without getting muscular aches. (spoiler:) The end gag is said to be about having a less expensive Silver Pears festival next year. That is, if Egg understood it all correctly, from several rather hazy sources. Maybe this is a description of the Jippes version instead? (Egg knows neither versions.)

But again, it's Sunday today. Egg has to wait to dig up more information and very maybe some xeroxes. If people (you?) want to have xeroxes, they can tell it here to Egg, only today. Tomorrow is too late for requests. Egg might be offline then.
Egg

Postby Egg » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:59 pm

For the quiz, here's a new quote to guess:

"Ladies and gentlemen! Won't SOMEBODY stop and listen to what I have to say?"
(which Barks story?)
Egg

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:16 pm

Robb is right; the story in question is "The Master Wrecker." Sorry for being late with confirmation.

Daniel, would the new quote be from the story in which Scrooge is running for office (the sky-writing one?)
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Doctor Witchie Britchie » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:19 pm

I would indeed be very interested in hearing more about the Golden Apples story; I still haven't seen Blum's "reconstruction" of it, nor do I plan on doing so. His conceit about being the only person who can somehow "interpet" Barks is very tiresome.
Doctor Witchie Britchie

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:52 pm

Egg wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Daniël: I think you should bring up your discussion of Barks' lost "Golden Apples" story art being "found", that you placed on The Carl Barkssection in McDrake's Dutch main forum.

Egg cannot give much more information now, because it's Sunday now and all the offices are closed. Egg can only guess for now. Tomorrow, Monday, there might be absolute clarity about this. The original Barks artwork is said to be found in the heritage of an old-employee at Western, who took these (b/w) drawings (by Barks, Murry, Strobl and one unknown artist) with him for his children at home, to use it for their colouring enjoyment. As a result, most of the rescued art was damaged by the heavy felt-tipped colouring added by the children. This colouring had to be removed, but as a result some line-art details are washed away forever. (grunt)
The story will be exclusively published in a very expensive, heavy, limited edition Dutch collection. Egg thinks this grapevine news is hardly interesting for foreigners anyway, as the weight of the CBL-like collection makes it's practically impossible for foreigners to order it by post.

Robb_K wrote:So, if the original story altered photocopied artwork can be "restored" to a useable condition, there should be no qualms about having 2 stories of very similar theme. They will be VERY DIFFERENT.

Yes, they are is said to be very different. Very different. Extremely different. But tell that to people who don't want two Duck stories with the same theme, no matter who wrote it. Jippes's version is first published, so Barks's version would be redundant now. (As with 'Race to the South Seas'.)
The original 1952 story is said to feature not only Donald and Daisy, but also Huey, Dewey, Louie, Scrooge, Gyro and some "Goldie"(?!). The males join some footrace to win the hand of some woman (Daisy? Goldie?), but Scrooge rather wants to have the gold. Gyro is said to give a long scientific explanation how the gold can be thrown away so far without getting muscular aches. (spoiler:) The end gag is said to be about having a less expensive Silver Pears festival next year. That is, if Egg understood it all correctly, from several rather hazy sources. Maybe this is a description of the Jippes version instead? (Egg knows neither versions.)

Your description of the "Golden Apples story sounds like it MUST be the Blum/Jippes "version", as what you descripe would not fit (scopewise, or pacing-wise comfortably) in a 10-page story (Blum's was 14 pages), AND, more importantly, it is TOO COMPLICATED and REDICULOUS a script for Barks to have used it for a 10 pager.

But again, it's Sunday today. Egg has to wait to dig up more information and very maybe some xeroxes. If people (you?) want to have xeroxes, they can tell it here to Egg, only today. Tomorrow is too late for requests. Egg might be offline then.

But, I am SO VERY HAPPY that at least an idea of the original art from that story has been rescued. They should give it to Daan Jippes to "restore", as he would be able to figure out where Barks' lines went (before the children's markers went over them).
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:55 pm

But, I just thought of something HORRIBLE. Daan doesn't work for Sanoma! But Ulrich Schröder does. Perhaps, if we are lucky, they will ask HIM rather than Mau, Bas, Sander or ComicUp to draw it.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:09 pm

Here is Page #8 from MY "version" of "Queen of the Apple Festival", which I submitted, together with Daan Jippes (who had agreed to draw and ink it-if Egmont were to approve). It was drawn by me, based on my discussions with Carl Barks in visits to his house in 1969, 1971 and 1972. I had more information about the story than were printed in Barrier's book and other public publishings:

IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/Robb_K/GoldApl8.jpg[/IMG]

Please let me know if this page is NOT visable to the public. Something seems to have gone wrong with my Photobucket.com account lately. Perhaps there is only a limited time pictures can be shown publically without the account holder paying money for the account?
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:13 pm

This is why I HATE having no chance to edit. When I import an URL, I have no way to see if it arrived in full. Now i see that the importation failed to place the starting bracket. So, I have to clutter up this thread with a second post for the image. It would be best for us to have at least 10 minutes after a post to edit it!

Robb_K

PreviousNext

Return to Carl Barks