Huey, Louie, and Dewey's Father

character identification, ducks, mice, etc.

Postby pangea797 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:29 am

Rosa's duck family tree is in WDCS #600. In the write up that accompanies it Rosa says that he will deal with H, L, & D’s father at a later date. I don’t have a lot of Rosa’s stories and I was wondering if he has addressed that issue in any way. Has he told who their father was or given any information about their family? If so, what story?
pangea797

Postby Egg » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:44 pm

From Sigvald's site:
In his private notes Don Rosa has some extra details which don't show up in the "official" version of the Family Tree, partly because of the limited amount of space in the tree, and partly because of some disagreement with his publisher about these facts. These extra facts include:
- Uncle $crooge's elder sister Matilda is married to Ludwig Von Drake who is therefore Uncle $crooge's brother-in-law and Donald's uncle.
- The father of Huey, Dewey and Louie is Daisy's brother. This explains why their last name is Duck. But this is NOT the same Duck name as Donald's and Grandma Duck's last name. According to Don Rosa, the name Duck is a rather common name in Duckburg, like "Smith" and "Jones" in America.
- Fethry Duck does not exist.

Don Rosa says: "This is how it is in my personal view of the Family Tree. But like many details of that tree, it is not "official"... especially for Egmont, whose editors have decided that Ludwig Von Drake and Fethry Duck do not exist. At the time they asked me to draw up my Family Tree, they did consider Fethry to exist, but I did NOT and I still don't. He is a European character who has never appeared in American comics. So, in my actual version of the Tree, Ludwig exists but Fethry does not. The reason why I don't show the relation between HD&L's father and Daisy in my Family Tree is that there wasn't room for it, but this is one good reason why a story about the Duck's family relations should still be told."

source: http://duckman.pettho.com/tree/tree_rosa.html

Didn't Rosa tell more about his vision on HDL's father on DCML? Something a about a sad story, because of the nephews being left behind like orphans?
Egg

Postby Egg » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:53 pm

Egg wrote:Didn't Rosa tell more about his vision on HDL's father on DCML? Something a about a sad story, because of the nephews being left behind like orphans?

Yes, he did. Stuttering Egg isn't crazy. It's in the "lost" part of the DCML archives.

Don Rosa on DCML, 1 November 1996, about the parents of Huey, Dewey and Louie:
As for doing a story where $crooge's long-lost sisters return, or where HD&L's parents are found... I suggested $crooge's sisters as the focus of the $crooge 50th Anniversary story that, in fact, I expect to finish pencilling TODAY... but Byron nixed that idea for various good reasons. I'm sure I'll get to that one someday. As for HD&L's parents, we've thought about that for 9 years, but I don't think we'll ever mess with it since there is no possible happy or even satisfying UNhappy ending that it can have. (And it seems like I mentioned this just a week or two ago...) A) They are found and HD&L go to live with them and leave Unca Donald -- sad. B) They are found and HD&L decide to disown them or something so they can stay with Unca Donald -- sad and weird. C) They are found after 60n years and then lost again -- very sad! D) They are found DEAD -- rilly, rilly sad! E) They aren't found at all -- so whatsa point? Maybe I'll think of an F or a G someday and think about it again, but I doubt it. It's like me trying to write the story of how $crooge died in 1967... I'd never attempt it since I'd never be happy with the results.

Don Rosa op DCML, 7 November 1996, about the parents of Huey, Dewey and Louie:
No, I'll keep my story ideas for HD&L's parents secret for two reasons. 1) I may still do that story someday. 2) I suspect my idea for that story is a real stinker and I *like* to keep such things secret!
Egg

Postby pangea797 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:26 am

Maybe Rosa is right that any story about H,L,&D's parents would be sad but that shouldn't stop him from writing it. He's written a few stories that aren't from the happy duck comic land that I expected. Since Daisy's brother is H,L,&D's father, then she must have another brother or sister who is April, May, and June's parent. Another sad story? Anybody know if Rosa has written any stories with A,M,&J?
pangea797

Postby Robb_K » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:39 am

pangea797 wrote:Maybe Rosa is right that any story about H,L,&D's parents would be sad but that shouldn't stop him from writing it. He's written a few stories that aren't from the happy duck comic land that I expected. Since Daisy's brother is H,L,&D's father, then she must have another brother or sister who is April, May, and June's parent. Another sad story? Anybody know if Rosa has written any stories with A,M,&J?

Daisy's sister lives in the apartment building at the end of the cul-de-sac on Coma Way (or Dizzy Street- a little less likely(but not certain)) (WDC & S #149. Donald used "flipism" to find the Flipism "Professor", and, instead, found Daisy at her sister's house. She brought her (unnamed) sister's children (triplets) out (April, May and June), and they all went to see "Gore in the Gully" at the cinema. The sister wasn't shown. However, in WDC &S #111, there is an unnamed Duck woman (possibly approximately Daisy's age), at her house to mention that Daisy isn't home. She may have been the unnamed sister?

No one ever mentioned the unnamed brother (or even that a brother exists). But, he would likely exist, as Huey Dewey and Louie also have the last name of Duck, and we assume that thir parents were legally married.
Robb_K

Postby Barko » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:20 pm

ahh - good old WDC&S 149. My favourite ten-pager. A good spoof/parody on all those people who wants to sell us a system (religious or otherwise) to live by...
Barko

Postby Egg » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:59 am

What happened with Huey, Louie, and Dewey's father according to other artists? What did the animated 1930s cartoon 'Donald's Nephews' say, and the 1930s newspaper strips by Taliaferro? Didn't the nephews blow up their father with a firecracker or something, according to at least one of these publications?

Barks has a tenpager about child-raising, in which the nephews blow up Pulpheart Clabberhead with a firecracker. As uncle Donald expected them to do. Maybe that was inspired from an earlier joke? Just guessing.
http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/0/W+WDC++92-02
Egg

Postby Flintheart Glomgold » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:04 pm

The firecracker-thing is from Taliaferro's strip from 17th October 1937, which introduced the nephews. It wasn't used in the cartoon Donald's Nephews. Marco Rota's Donald Duck biography retold the Taliaferro-gag, but I don't know if the firecracker-gag reappears here.

I also think, that gag inspired the one in Barks' 10-pager. Furthermore, William Van Horn reuses this gag, too: In his first story with Rumpus McFowl, the Ducks try to get rid of him that way.
Flintheart Glomgold

Postby Barko » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:16 pm

I think the firecracker joke is universal! I remember I´ve seen it in other comics too. I believe it also appears in a Captain and The Kids story. For sure we´ve seen kids placing firecrackers under adults chairs etc. before and after Taliaferro...
Barko

Postby Egg » Tue May 15, 2007 9:21 pm

From DCF:
2007-05-15, 18:08, PaperOle wrote:One story we're still waiting for from Rosa's hand is the "Secret Origins" story of Huey, Dewey and Louie. A deleted pencils page from his Xanadu story (published in Uncle Scrooge #357) mysteriously hints at how the high llama has information pertaining to it. Does anyone know more?

http://dcf.outducks.org/viewtopic.php?pid=614#p614
Egg

Return to Disney characters