Editing posts

questions, corrections, complaints, suggestions

Postby Sander » Thu May 04, 2006 6:26 pm

(continuing the discussion from Welcome)

Egg wrote:What I would like to see is (1) a time-lock, (2) a downloadable archive, and (3) a way of logging the edits.=

#2 is being worked on.

Egg wrote:As I understood it, PunBB doesn't have any timelock options. I got the advice to go after it myself, but haven't done that so far.

Several people have been asking for this feature at the PunBB forums. It might help indeed if you and others would join the discussion over there.

A disadvantage of a timelock on the editing function might be that you can exceed the time limit while editing your post. The your additions will be lost.

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Sander on Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sander

Postby Egg » Mon May 08, 2006 5:28 am

I would only opt for the time-lock if others talk you into changing your decision. I happy with the situation as it is. I'll save a lot of time and mindboggling by giving my sent postings a rest.
Egg

Postby Egg » Tue May 16, 2006 11:22 am

What irks me on the Dutch forum is your spambot-option for members and preview-screens. I have to click on two buttons each time, which makes especially the preview-screen very confusing.
Egg

Postby Sander » Tue May 16, 2006 8:42 pm

Egg wrote:I would only opt for the time-lock if others talk you into changing your decision.

What do you think about the disadvantage of a timelock I mentioned?

Egg wrote:What irks me on the Dutch forum is your spambot-option for members and preview-screens. I have to click on two buttons each time, which makes especially the preview-screen very confusing.

I have replied to that in the Dutch forum now. Sorry for not doing that earlier.

It seems that the preview button is not easy enough to find. You only see it when using the "Post reply" link instead of the "Quick post" form. How about removing that form so that people always see the preview button when posting? I cannot add a preview button to the "Quick post" form, because then I would have to do that after every update.
Sander

Postby Daniel73 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:31 pm

Sander:
The topic 'Don Rosa interview' has gone off-topic way too much. Can it be split into two topics?

I'm thinking of two possibilities:
- Copying the topic fully, and then chop away the off-topic stuff from the interview-topic. This results in two topics having the same beginning messages.
- Splitting the topic in two, using a link to get from one to the other. (As happened with 'Rosa en Barks') on the Dutch section.

Starting with this message I don't see messages about the Rosa-interview anymore:
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?p=1113#p1113

The topic could be split up in 'Don Rosa interview' and 'Rosa and Barks', I guess.

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Daniel73 on Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel73

Postby Sander » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:29 pm

Moving individual posts to another topic requires me to edit directly in the database, and often things go wrong when I do that. So it might be a better idea to rename the topic to "Rosa and Barks" or something else, and maybe post the interview again in a new topic. If everyone disagrees with that, I could try splitting the topic later.
Sander

Postby Daniel73 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:45 pm

Sander wrote:So it might be a better idea to rename the topic to "Rosa and Barks" or something else, and maybe post the interview again in a new topic.

I think this is a better idea, but only if you post the Rosa interview again in a new topic. The topic was intended to be about a Rosa interview, so it would be unfair to the poster if that gets changed without a replacement.
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:04 am

2007-04-01 22:13:26, Robb_K wrote:This is why I HATE having no chance to edit. When I import an URL, I have no way to see if it arrived in full. Now i see that the importation failed to place the starting bracket. So, I have to clutter up this thread with a second post for the image. It would be best for us to have at least 10 minutes after a post to edit it!

Taken from topic 'Barks quote quiz'.
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?p=2464#p2464

PunBB provides no possibility for a time-clock on editing. I don't know if there are optional ways. A time-clock has my interest, but I know too little about PunBB to do any promises for that.

Before posting a message, it can be previewed with the 'Preview'-button.
In case of BBCode-errors with "url" and "img", I can correct them if the sender alerts me.
Daniel73

Postby Egg » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:56 pm

I have a quote-attribution error under the Barks quotes quiz.
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?p=2561#p2561
The first "Robb_K wrote" should be "Egg wrote".

Can this error be corrected?
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:22 am

If we can't have a time set for allowing editing (they have that on other fora that I frequent), then, let us have our editing ALL the time, and just BAN posters who go back and "change history" (the intent of their original post). I just want to change errors. I look at the preview and see no problems. Then, just after making the real post, I always see my errors. It never fails. No matter how long I stare at the preview. I can't afford the time to check my posts carefully. So they're always littered with errors. When I finally catch them I can't stand seeing them, and MUST fix them. But you won't allow it. I don't want a forum full of people who would go back and "change history" IF you allowed them to. Therefore, i vote for allowing everyone to edit their posts, and threatening banning for those who do that. However, your policy of allowing guests (something I also HATE), ruins any threat of banning. Banning would work, if everyone were required to be a member, and co8uld register with only one e-mail address, and they couldn't re-register with that same e-mail address.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:23 am

Egg. There were other quotes attributed to me that were NOT made by me in your posts. Please check them over again.
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:46 am

I've corrected the quote-attributions.

Robb_K wrote:If we can't have a time set for allowing editing (they have that on other fora that I frequent),

Where did you see a time-lock? On a PunBB board?

Robb_K wrote:I look at the preview and see no problems. Then, just after making the real post, I always see my errors. It never fails. No matter how long I stare at the preview.

I have that pet peeve, too. My defense, also to myself when I make an error, is that DCML doesn't supply any preview- or editing-options.

Robb_K wrote:I can't afford the time to check my posts carefully. So they're always littered with errors. When I finally catch them I can't stand seeing them, and MUST fix them. But you won't allow it. I don't want a forum full of people who would go back and "change history" IF you allowed them to. Therefore, i vote for allowing everyone to edit their posts, and threatening banning for those who do that.

I can't afford the time to control and ban people. I dislike banning, and it doesn't really work.
Furthermore, certainly an "eternal editing" option makes archiving difficult. If someone would erase a message, I can't just restore it. PunBB is very limited in editing and archiving, as far as I know.
And if you would loose your profile and password to someone else, that stranger could erase all your messages and get you banned. How would I know then that it's someone else and not you?

Robb_K wrote:However, your policy of allowing guests (something I also HATE), ruins any threat of banning. Banning would work, if everyone were required to be a member, and co8uld register with only one e-mail address, and they couldn't re-register with that same e-mail address.

Banning doesn't work with profiles, either. People can subscribe a hundred times without me seeing it. Just use a different e-mail address and I can't prove anything.
Daniel73

Postby Robb_K » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:18 am

Daniel73 wrote:I've corrected the quote-attributions.

Robb_K wrote:If we can't have a time set for allowing editing (they have that on other fora that I frequent),

Where did you see a time-lock? On a PunBB board?

Robb_K wrote:However, your policy of allowing guests (something I also HATE), ruins any threat of banning. Banning would work, if everyone were required to be a member, and co8uld register with only one e-mail address, and they couldn't re-register with that same e-mail address.

Banning doesn't work with profiles, either. People can subscribe a hundred times without me seeing it. Just use a different e-mail address and I can't prove anything.

The people here aren't TROLLS. They don't have time to continually register for new free e-mail addresses. You could limit the type of e-mail services served to PAID e-mail services (e.g. don't allow free, internet-based e-mail services to be used to register). People will not continue to get new costly e-mail adresses just to erase or alter their old posts. We have that policy at some of the Ice-Hockey fora I frequent. soulfuldetroit.com (a music forum I frequent) has a 12 hour limit to post editing ability. They could make that limit any amount of time they want. I don't know what types of systems these fora use.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:25 am

By the way,- Often I sign in to mcdrake, and the message says that I have logged in successfully. Then I go back to the forum, and it says I am NOT logged in. I do it many, many times, and it always says I am NOT logged in. This occurs only when I am using computers that are not my own. I'm not sure if that is related to my original computer address from which I registered for mcduck.nl, as I don't remember if I registered when i was working at my computer in The Netherlands, or my computer in USA. But, about 2/3 of the time I work on someone else's computer, I AM allowed to log in. I'm sure this problem occurs with other members, as we have many posts with a member signing in with his/her member name, but as a guest (i.e.-"Henrieke als gast").

I don't know the difference between a PunBB board and the other types.
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:02 am

Robb_K wrote:
Daniel73 wrote:Banning doesn't work with profiles, either. People can subscribe a hundred times without me seeing it. Just use a different e-mail address and I can't prove anything.

The people here aren't TROLLS. They don't have time to continually register for new free e-mail addresses. You could limit the type of e-mail services served to PAID e-mail services (e.g. don't allow free, internet-based e-mail services to be used to register). People will not continue to get new costly e-mail adresses just to erase or alter their old posts. We have that policy at some of the Ice-Hockey fora I frequent. soulfuldetroit.com (a music forum I frequent) has a 12 hour limit to post editing ability. They could make that limit any amount of time they want. I don't know what types of systems these fora use.

I've never tried, but maybe the registration doesn't need a valid e-mail address at all. As far as I know, an e-mail adres is only used for forgotten passwords and for subscriptions to topics.
A lot of people use free e-mail addresses nowadays. Especially for boards and other sites were they need to fill in an e-mail address. I would recommend it, because a paid e-mail address might be misused by malicious moderators. Who says a site can be trusted? Is PunBB safe?

I'm interested in possibilities (and impossibilities) of a time-clock, in case it exists for PunBB. I don't recognize the software of the Soulful Detroit Forums.
http://www.soulfuldetroit.com/forum/

So far I only know about the existance of boardsystems PunBB and phpBB. I don't know the technical differences.
Daniel73

Next

Return to About McDrake International