Don Rosa-bashing

Santiago Ceballos, William Van Horn, Paul Murry, Don Rosa, etc.

Postby Egg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:45 am

Rockerduck wrote:Also, I'd like to note that I don't believe in the whole 'Rosa is an evil genius'-theory like Egg.

Rosa had his 'Barks is an evil genius'-theory. Quite an inspiration. :)

Rockerduck wrote:Sure, I see him spinning Barks facts, but I don't see that as a 'plan', I see it as a man who tries to recreate his own 'Barks-youth', for his own pleasure. And coincidentally, he makes a living out of it.

It is quite obvious that Rosa (mis)uses Barks for his own pleasure. On DCML an email was rejected because of being critical about "fictional fiction" and 'The Magic Hourglass', as a result of the current moderation there.

Don Rosa on DCML, 14-04-2006:
So, that's how I see my stuff, though I love to read Gilles' ideas also. Like Olaf said, "But hey, the discussions can be fun anyway ... :-)". But... much more fun in a Mailing List (to touch on that other current topic), where we can have leisurely, thoughtful discussions under the supervision of a moderator. We've seen how well that works thanks to Per and NAFS(k).

Rockerduck wrote:I'd be jealous too if I were you. ;)

Hey! What about freedom of speech?
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:02 am

Ridder ter Geit wrote:
Robb_K wrote:I agree, too. What's more, Rosa's telling Scrooge's WHOLE history, with a time line, makes it difficult for other creators to continue to refer to Scrooge's past with flashbacks and recounting, to pertain to a new adventure. I personally wrote and drew a few stories I submitted to Egmont in the early '90s, that had flashbacks into Scrooge's history (based on Barks' stories references), which because they conflicted with events in Rosa's then-proposed "History of Scrooge" (or whatever it is called) -were rejected (FOREVER). I don't think it is fair, or much fun for the Uncle Scrooge fan, for Rosa's ambition to "lock down" the history of McDuck, so that he can't have an endless flow of new, interesting and magical adventure stories. There should be some "magic" asnd mystery about these fictional characters.

Hm... how is this the fault of Don Rosa? Egmont asked him to do the Life of Scrooge and Egmont would not use these stories...

Hoi Wouter! No, I didn't blame Rosa, directly for deliberately trying to "obtain the franchise" to write and draw Scrooge's history. I only mentioned that as a result of his peculiar ambition, other artists (including myself) have been limited in the ability to "tell" some of Scrooge's history, too. It's just an unfortunate situation. I know that Don didn't mean for that to happen. I am not on this forum or thread to "bash" another individual.
Robb_K

Postby Ridder ter Geit » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:35 am

Ah, and so one shouldn't be. Thank you, Rob.

Freedom of speech? All Rosa says is wanting to post messages with a moderator on board; I guess that's what a lot of people like on fora in my experience. I don't see much to blame him for here.

I think Rosa perhaps has gone a bit 'overboard' with the 'my own personal universe' thingie, true. But it are his stories and we don't have to like them.
Ridder ter Geit

Postby Egg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:09 pm

Robb_K wrote:It's just an unfortunate situation. I know that Don didn't mean for that to happen.

How do you know? And still, what does Don Rosa do against it? Doesn't he have his pride then? On DCML he rants about being popular wolrdwide, with only a few nasty individuals being the bad guys to blame. Rosa acts like an emperor. And the situation reminds of fairy tale The Emperor's New Clothes.

Robb_K wrote:I am not on this forum or thread to "bash" another individual.

Of course not. But Rosa-fans tend to twist the topic so, that everything is sad for the poor Rosa. I think Rosa's world is sad and limited, but that's no reason to have Disney and Barks being destroyed.

Rosa's impatient defense of for example dumping 'The Magic Hourglass' and Scrooge's lucky dime just emphasizes that something is VERY wrong in Duckburg. Rosa can say whatever he wants about his Barks and "Barks-purists", and on DCML Rosa's fans crawl over each other to defend the poor man. And editors just look at it and go along with it.

Meanwhile Rosa wants percents of his name being on Egmont-covers. First Rosa wanted to be credited. Then he got credited, and now he wants to be paid for it. Very nice for him, but I do smell some sort of commercial thinking, or else an extreme urge to be important.
And look at how Rosa complains about almost everything. Things only go fine when they're done HIS way. Rosa once even said that an English had to be literally translated, with a box explaining what the English pun was.

Sorry, I don't dig the "poor Rosa"-theory. And if Rosa is poor, then he does it to himself. If fans like Stephan would get their way, no one could ever even touch the Rosa-subject critically. But Stephan himself has reported on the Dutch forum how Rosa wrote to him, lying about 'Back to Klondike' and 'Prisoner of White Agony Creek'. But Stephan just goes on with his idol being the victim of the entire world, urging people to behave when criticizing the bad behaviour of his dear mr. Rosa.

Stephan makes the subject look stupid, with an evil title, as if "Rosa-bashers" are less worth being heard. He explained this topic is intended to discuss OUR behaviour, not that of Rosa's. A remarkable difference.

As Don Rosa always uses his own name, even sharing the Keno-name for more intimacy, he and his Rosa-fans can claim everything to be a personal attack. Just to quote Barks's Scrooge: "It's a trick!"

Therefore I want to ignore cry baby comments which tries to make critics look evil.
Egg

Postby Egg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:49 pm

Egg wrote:Rosa once even said that an English had to be literally translated, with a box explaining what the English pun was.

Should be: Rosa once even said that an English joke in one his stories had to be literally translated, with a box explaining what the English pun was.
To explain this further, I dimly remember something about a Rosa-joke being translated to Swedish, where editors referred to Abba's 'Waterloo' or something. (Or was that a different matter?) It was discussed on DCML.
Egg

Postby Ridder ter Geit » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:22 pm

Rosa can only behave that way if others let him do that. If Rosa-fans just read his work and be happy with that, would you have a problem with them then?
Ridder ter Geit

Postby Stephan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:06 pm

Egg wrote:If fans like Stephan would get their way, no one could ever even touch the Rosa-subject critically.

Of course people could, but not in the fanatic and negative way I see Rosa often being criticized. I don't appriciate destructive crits, but I do appreciate constructive crits.

Egg wrote:Stephan makes the subject look stupid, with an evil title, as if "Rosa-bashers" are less worth being heard.

I think everone is worth being heard.

Egg wrote:He explained this topic is intended to discuss OUR behaviour, not that of Rosa's. A remarkable difference.

I've already discussed Don Rosa's behavoir a lot now. Now I want to discuss the way Don Rosa is being discussed, because that bugs me sometimes.

Btw, Don Rosa didn't want to join this forum. He already is a DCML-member, and it would too much time to be a member of every other duck-forum, Disney-forum or whatever.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Rockerduck » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:55 pm

It's not true that Stephan doesn't want people to criticise Rosa. Stephan -and myself- are only saying the tone of the debate is often too harsh, and people often fill in for Rosa what he means, but then complain themselves when somebody does the same to them (thinking of Egg now). Also, I personally get tired of the 'Rosa wants to destroy Barks's worl'-theory, because there are also óther ways to look at it, as I've shown, but some people are just too stubborn to even want to consider that possibility (thinking of Egg again). Plus, there are some people who always claim that you can not, or -even worse!- are not supposed to, or -yet even worse!- are not admitted to like Rosa's work when at the same time you like Barks's work. These people want to force you into choosing between the two (thinking yet again of Egg). Worst is when people treat Rosa-readers as dumb and inferior (guess who?). Thát's what I'm getting tired off and I think Stephan is with me.
Rockerduck

Postby Stephan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:53 pm

Exactly. I see no problem in being a fan of Barks and Don Rosa at the same time.
Stephan
Stephan

Postby Egg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:19 pm

Taken from topic 'Carl Barks'.

Paralyzed Buffalo wrote:
Hey you palefaces knowing one funny thing? Me telling? Well, since here international pow-wow being going on, no living soul ever discussing anymore in Dutch on topic about Rosa and Barks. Topic now finally being abandoned after lot of heavy talk-talk between all them Barksists and Rosaists. All smart palefaces now here discussing in English, and that of course being very good for discussion! And what even better: Rosa now able to come here and discuss with us all about his stories! For example he now able to explain what Goldie and Scrooge sorted out under sheets. And especially he now explain how this working physically with Duckburg Ducks when they mating. Same as with real ducks that we feed bread in parc? Or more like with real people, like for example what Paralyzed Buffalo intending to do with easy-to-convince-squaw in motelroom that was promised to him by Stone-duck and Spotty-With-Long-Toes after Big Battle between Rosaists and Barksists on little field near highway? Everybody very curious of course! Me burning special grass in pipe now so that Gods of Pow-Wow will making four-eyed Mufti Rosa coming upon us as soon possible! Ugh-ughe!

http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/viewtopic.php?p=352#p352

*EDIT* boardlinking updated to McDrake
Last edited by Egg on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egg

Postby Egg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:59 pm

Paralyzed Buffalo wrote:Me telling? Well, since here international pow-wow being going on, no living soul ever discussing anymore in Dutch on topic about Rosa and Barks.

And in English the subject is discussed neither.

We are in therapy by headshrinker Stephan who learns us how to be behave. As Rockerduck's complaining makes clear Stephan and Rockerduck never enjoyed the discussion, they were victimized and humiliated. They have suffered in pain. They feel less than animals because a crazy bat named "Pluizer" has spoken words of wisdom to them, about professional Barks being better than amateur Rosa. They never asked the bat to return when the discussion got silent for weeks. No, Rockerduck never yelled "Pluizer" to make the bat reeturn. No, poor Rockerduck was happy he had a moment of rest to lick his wounds. Rockerduck never asked for mean opponents to please return to McDuck.

Egg just thinks Stephan and Rockerduck are sissies, as they are using this international forum for nasty complains to the world about how they suffered. (blech!) Even an indian can see how much Stephan and Rockerduck contributed. Especially Rockerduck. Page after page after page. But when the discussion gets too hard, it's suddenly no fun anymore. And their hero has better things to do than to save them from the eggs.

In short: What have we DONE to these poor little critters? Will they ever recover?
Egg

Postby Ridder ter Geit » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:11 pm

They just make a complaint. They never said the discussion was no fun for them or anything like that.
Ridder ter Geit

Postby Egg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:39 pm

Ridder ter Geit wrote:They just make a complaint. They never said the discussion was no fun for them or anything like that.

I'm just getting a little sick of that complaining, as if they're such good holy people themselves. Rockerduck wanted a fresh start (haha! he almost got me) but now we're discussing an old Dutch roleplay-discussion that foreign people can't read. What a good beginning for a fresh forum. Stephan and Rockerduck should look at themselves in the mirror. They give reason to complain themselves.

Hey! This is easy to write stuff. It's just complaining, without saying much. I'm almost beginning to like that Rosaïstic trick. :P
Egg

Postby Egg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:59 pm

Taken from a Wikipedia:

- - - - - - - - - -

As Carl Barks described his character, for Scrooge there is "Always another rainbow". The phrase later provided the title for one of Barks's better-known paintings depicting Scrooge. Periods of inactivity between adventures and lack of serious challenges tend to be depressing for Scrooge after a while; some stories depict this phase to have negative effects on his health. In extended periods of a lack of activity, including his retirement between 1942 and 1947, Scrooge is depicted as even suffering from symptoms of clinical depression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrooge_McDuck
Egg

Postby Egg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:03 pm

Wikipedia wrote:As Carl Barks described his character, for Scrooge there is "Always another rainbow". [...] In extended periods of a lack of activity, including his retirement between 1942 and 1947, Scrooge is depicted as even suffering from symptoms of clinical depression.

Barks's Scrooge depicted as even suffering from symptoms of clinical depression between 1942 and 1947?
Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Other creators