Arpin Lusène / The Black Knight

character identification, ducks, mice, etc.

Postby Daniel73 » Sun May 13, 2007 5:34 pm

Topic about Don Rosa's creation Arpin Lusène alias The Black Knight.

Quote taken from a discussion at DCF, copied here to McDrake because of too enthusiastic banning there:
13-05-2007 00:44, DCF, Olivier wrote:Speaking of creating characters, I like Arpin Lusène / The Black Knight a lot; he is quite different from the other adversaries (more specifically, thieves)-- as Rosa once said, Magica is after the dime, the Beagles want the whole fortune (but don't care for the dime), while Lupin is not interested in the dime nor the money as such but in what stealing them would mean for his reputation (hence the sly decision of glorping everything out of existence if he can't rob anything, the point being the Money Bin would be empty after his visit); in a sense, he is another status-seeker (Barks' story).

http://dcf.outducks.org/viewtopic.php?pid=610#p610
Daniel73

Postby Rockerduck » Sun May 13, 2007 6:06 pm

Arpin Lusène is based on the legendary character Arsène Lupin, from the famous stories of French writer Maurice LeBlanc.

Arsène Lupin is the name of a fictional gentleman thief who appears in a book series of detective fiction / crime fiction novels written by French writer Maurice Leblanc, as well as a number of non-canonical sequels and numerous film, television, stage play and comic book adaptations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars%C3%A8ne_Lupin

His first appereance was okay, but the character was denegrated in 'Aaaatck'. Rosa could've simply done that (already bad) story without using this character (most regular readers probably never heard of him before, anyway). He was somewhat restored in 'The Black Knight GLORPS again', but Daniel pointed out it was dumb that he added this hook to his armor. He could've known it would get him in trouble.
Rockerduck

Re: Arpin Lusène / The Black Knight

Postby Maciek! » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 pm

I love "The black knight" and I think his return in "Ataaaaaack" was funny but in the third story you can tell Rosa didn't had much of idea what to do with the character. He mostly just do the same thing agian :(

I honestly hope some future writers will use the character and maybe find some interesting angle to develope him more...
Maciek!

Return to Disney characters