Heirs/successors of Scrooge McDuck

character identification, ducks, mice, etc.

Postby Rockerduck » Thu May 04, 2006 6:08 pm

Jan Gulbransson and Jan Kruse once made a story what would happen if they inherited Scrooge's fortune.

They both think Scrooge is killed in an airplane crash, and as soon as they get their hands on Scrooge's money, they start spending it. Only after having spend a million dollars, they read in Scrooge's will that they have to earn a million dollars first, before they are allowed to get their hands on the money-- thus leaving them with the task of gathering 2 million dollars (the one they spend and the one they had to earn anyway). They manage to earn the money when they're organizing a lottery with as the grand prize Scrooge's entire fortune. The plan is, to let Gladstone participate too, but the audience isn't willing to put up with that, so H,D&L, who perform the lottery, pretend Gladstone is actually Donald. Of course, nobody has problems with Donald participating. Of course, Gladstone wins the grand prize and Scrooge's fortune is intact when Scrooge comes home. His money bin has bursted like a paper bag, though, because of the extra money Donald and Gladstone earned, leaving all the money on Killmotor Hill, behind a fence, but still accessible to any ordinary thief. The story ends with Gladstone telling Donald that Scrooge made H,D&L his inheriters. Donald replies that H,D&L aren't willing to take up that job.
Rockerduck

Postby Egg » Wed May 10, 2006 6:04 am

Rockerduck wrote:Jan Gulbransson and Jan Kruse once made a story what would happen if they inherited Scrooge's fortune.

This classic deserves a reprint in an album. One of my favorites. For example, I like the part where Scrooge seems to have died, while he's as cynical and alive as ever. And the part where Donald and Gladstone have spend lots of money while they, as it turns out, first have to make Scrooge's fortune bigger, before they may spend anything. They could have known that, knowing Scrooge.
Egg

Postby Robb_K » Wed May 10, 2006 6:45 am

Rockerduck wrote:Jan Gulbransson and Jan Kruse once made a story what would happen if they inherited Scrooge's fortune.

They both think Scrooge is killed in an airplane crash, and as soon as they get their hands on Scrooge's money, they start spending it. Only after having spend a million dollars, they read in Scrooge's will that they have to earn a million dollars first, before they are allowed to get their hands on the money-- thus leaving them with the task of gathering 2 million dollars (the one they spend and the one they had to earn anyway). They manage to earn the money when they're organizing a lottery with as the grand prize Scrooge's entire fortune. The plan is, to let Gladstone participate too, but the audience isn't willing to put up with that, so H,D&L, who perform the lottery, pretend Gladstone is actually Donald. Of course, nobody has problems with Donald participating. Of course, Gladstone wins the grand prize and Scrooge's fortune is intact when Scrooge comes home. His money bin has bursted like a paper bag, though, because of the extra money Donald and Gladstone earned, leaving all the money on Killmotor Hill, behind a fence, but still accessible to any ordinary thief. The story ends with Gladstone telling Donald that Scrooge made H,D&L his inheriters. Donald replies that H,D&L aren't willing to take up that job.

HUH??? I don't remember THAT story! I've been working with Jan since 1984, and have all the Dutch weeklies from when he started (1980 - 1996). Plus, I got from him photocopies of all his rough-sketched storyboards and inked pages (for ALL his stories. I just don't remember even SEEING that story. What issue (or two issues?) of Het Weekblad was it printed in? I have full sets from those years to look through here in Los Angeles, and also in The Netherlands (when I return there in a couple of weeks). I can look it up. Are you POSITIVE that's a Jan Gulbransson-drawn story?
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Wed May 10, 2006 6:49 am

Egg wrote:

This classic deserves a reprint in an album. One of my favorites. For example, I like the part where Scrooge seems to have died, while he's as cynical and alive as ever. And the part where Donald and Gladstone have spend lots of money while they, as it turns out, first have to make Scrooge's fortune bigger, before they may spend anything. They could have known that, knowing Scrooge.

I've been told (by people in-the-know) that The Dutch Weekly Editors wish to extend the artist album series as much as possible. Therefore, I believe they will print a Jan Gulbransson album within a year or two (or three?). If they do, that story will likely be included (IF it was drawn by Gulbransson).
Robb_K

Postby Rockerduck » Wed May 10, 2006 1:27 pm

Robb_K wrote:HUH??? I don't remember THAT story! I've been working with Jan since 1984, and have all the Dutch weeklies from when he started (1980 - 1996). Plus, I got from him photocopies of all his rough-sketched storyboards and inked pages (for ALL his stories. I just don't remember even SEEING that story. What issue (or two issues?) of Het Weekblad was it printed in? I have full sets from those years to look through here in Los Angeles, and also in The Netherlands (when I return there in a couple of weeks). I can look it up. Are you POSITIVE that's a Jan Gulbransson-drawn story?

Oh, I'm 100% positive it's drawn by Gulbransson. It was not only printed in the Weekly, but also in the 1993 Summer Vacation's book, where I first read it. It's also published in Weeklies 23 and 24 of 1983.

Here is the Inducks-entry:
http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/H+82096//

Inducks now says it's also written by Gulbransson, but I'm positive the last time I checked the page, it credited Jan Kruse for writing it. Does anybody know the definitive answer?

I hope it's getting reprinted in the 'artists'-series. The last two books (Barreira and Colomer) were absolute lows withing the series.
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Wed May 10, 2006 7:01 pm

Rockerduck wrote:
Robb_K wrote:HUH??? I don't remember THAT story! I've been working with Jan since 1984, and have all the Dutch weeklies from when he started (1980 - 1996). Plus, I got from him photocopies of all his rough-sketched storyboards and inked pages (for ALL his stories. I just don't remember even SEEING that story. What issue (or two issues?) of Het Weekblad was it printed in? I have full sets from those years to look through here in Los Angeles, and also in The Netherlands (when I return there in a couple of weeks). I can look it up. Are you POSITIVE that's a Jan Gulbransson-drawn story?

Oh, I'm 100% positive it's drawn by Gulbransson. It was not only printed in the Weekly, but also in the 1993 Summer Vacation's book, where I first read it. It's also published in Weeklies 23 and 24 of 1983.

Here is the Inducks-entry:
http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/H+82096//

Inducks now says it's also written by Gulbransson, but I'm positive the last time I checked the page, it credited Jan Kruse for writing it. Does anybody know the definitive answer?

I hope it's getting reprinted in the 'artists'-series. The last two books (Barreira and Colomer) were absolute lows withing the series.

Have no fear. if they printed a Colomer book, they will certainly print a Gulbransson book. If it was drawn by Jan Gulbransson in 1982-83, the original story scenario probably came from Jan Kruse. I'll ask Jan G. if he wrote it himself (but, I doubt that). I'll look at my Weekblad Nr. 28 from 1983, and see what story it is. I didn't recognise it from your description. It certainly can't be "Geld Ligt op Straat" -based on your description.
Robb_K

Postby Rockerduck » Wed May 10, 2006 8:55 pm

That's because I said it was issues 23 and 24 from 1983, and not 28. See? ;)

And I asked Thom Roep whether or not he would publish a Gulbransson book, but he wasn't sure he would.
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Wed May 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Rockerduck wrote:That's because I said it was issues 23 and 24 from 1983, and not 28. See? ;)

And I asked Thom Roep whether or not he would publish a Gulbransson book, but he wasn't sure he would.

I wonder what his problem is? I guess he doesn't like Germans! He can't claim that Barreira and Colomer are Nederlanders! Well, we ALL have some problems with The Germans, due to WWII. But, seriously, I hope he issues a Jan G. book. His art got a lot better since 1990, so the last several stories he drew were of excellent quality. I know he never liked Jan's inking.

I somehow must have forgotten that story. But I have those Weekbladen issues, as well as the Vacantieboek, so I'll look at it in an hour or two. I think I have photos of his original inks with German text written in. If so, I'll upload a page of it.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Wed May 10, 2006 11:24 pm

Rockerduck wrote:That's because I said it was issues 23 and 24 from 1983, and not 28. See?

Sorry! i somehow forgot that story. I gues
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Wed May 10, 2006 11:33 pm

See Egg! THIS (above) is why I HATE having no editing function. My computer burped while I was in the middle of typing a word, and it posted my post long before I was finished. This was a case that I had NO RECOURSE - for a problem that had NOTHING TO DO WITH MY BEING CARELESS!

To continue: I guess I forgot that story (De Triljarden Erfenis) because all Jan's drawing before 1984 is way off model. But, I agree with you that that's a worthy story-but I hope its being included in the album doesn't keep out a post 1986 story! Actually, I think Jan drew enough pages up to 1996, that 2 albums could be released. But, with Thom's dislike of Jan's artwork, I'll be happy with one (as long as it has a lot of my stories in it.
Robb_K

Postby Rockerduck » Thu May 11, 2006 12:00 am

Well, in the e-mail Thom didn't exactly say he doesn't like Gulbransson's work, but he did say he was looking at some options, like some very bad American artists (in my opinion!), some of which I never heard of, but I found their work with the 'Lambiek Comiclopedia' and it's awful. I don't understand why he would consider them before considering Gulbransson.

Do you know 'Lambiek' by the way?
http://www.lambiek.net/artists/index.htm
Rockerduck

Postby Robb_K » Thu May 11, 2006 2:39 am

Jawel! Ik ken Lambiek! I've been going in there for 30 years. As for Thom Roep, he didn't like Jan's early work much, as it was off model. later, after he started penciling much, much better (among the best Duck artists (to my taste), his inking was still weak. It really hurt the look of the pencils. Thom and Eddy really didn't like it much. That's why a lot of Jan's '80s work was only printed in black and white in the special books. Nevertheless, I hope Thom will be "desperate enough" to make an album of Jan's better work (especially with my stories)-but mainly because his drawing was a lot better after '88.
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Thu May 11, 2006 3:12 am

Well, at least Lambiek's index mentions me in Jan Gulbransson's bio. They did list Patti Klein, so some scriptwriters appear. But they left out grat and prolific scriptwriter, Gorm Transgaard. So how could I feel slighted?

By the way, although I lived in Den Haag for most of my years in Nederland, I frequented Snoek, Richard, De Zaak Zoonebloem, and many of the Amsterdam shops regularly in the late '70s, throughout the '80s and the early '90s (also, more recently, Wonderland and others). I also used to like Panda and Haagse StripShop en Walk-In in Den Haag, and Leidse Stripshop and Dumpie in Leiden, and a few shops in Rotterdam and Dordrecht and a couple in Groningen, too.

By the way, -I'm still looking for a few of the big Mickey Maandblad, to get the last few Gottfredson stories in a good format
Robb_K

Postby Robb_K » Thu May 11, 2006 3:15 am

And Jan Kruse is also NOT listed in Lambiek's index. So, I really can't complain!
Robb_K

Postby Dub » Thu May 11, 2006 5:05 pm

Rockerduck wrote:Well, in the e-mail Thom didn't exactly say he doesn't like Gulbransson's work, but he did say he was looking at some options, like some very bad American artists (in my opinion!), some of which I never heard of, but I found their work with the 'Lambiek Comiclopedia' and it's awful. I don't understand why he would consider them before considering Gulbransson.

Do you know 'Lambiek' by the way?
http://www.lambiek.net/artists/index.htm

Which American artists if you don't mind me asking. Theres really only a select few that it could possibly be...
Dub

PreviousNext

Return to Disney characters